I want a workhorse synthesizer like Korg Triton

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've always been a huge fan of Korg hardware synthesizers like Triton and Trinity and I thought Korg might already have ported them over into VSTi's, but apparently not. I've tried out some synths along the way like everything in NI:s Komplete, but there's not enough usable stuff there. It's like 10000 sounds with 10 usable ones. I dont't like tweaking, I want a usable good library with no nonsense.

Now, there are sample libraries, like these on eBay, for Kontakt and Reason, but 1) I'm concerned about how legal they are and 2) I only get samples, not the real synthesizing process.

This brings me to synths like Alchemy and Omnisphere. Listening to Youtube demos and demos on their website, they feel like they could be what I want. The free lite version of Alchemy for instance is pretty close. But the problem with both is the huge sample library. No version of Korg Triton has a capacity to host a 12 - 40 gigs worth of samples, I don't believe that.

This all leaves me wondering. Does what I want and need exist? How do I find what I'm looking for? I don't undestand terms such as FM, granular, analog, etc, since they have no reference to me. I'm not a keyboardist, I'm rather a musician/drummer/bedroom-studio-producer who likes good synth sounds.

Triskal wrote: I dont't like tweaking, I want a usable good library with no nonsense.

This brings me to synths like Alchemy and Omnisphere. Listening to Youtube demos and demos on their website, they feel like they could be what I want. The free lite version of Alchemy for instance is pretty close. But the problem with both is the huge sample library.
If you want usable and ease of use, go for Alchemy over Omni - the one page GUI and selectable soundlibraries make it more of an all-rounder, IMO.
If you insist on usable but under a bizarre gigbyte limit...well, good luck.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

If he likes Korg so why not try the M1 and the Wavestation plugin plugin first...
Both are delivered with tons of factory sounds and the M1 includeds all available expansion cards.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

re_mute wrote:If you insist on usable but under a bizarre gigbyte limit...well, good luck.
It's not that I insist on it. I just find it odd that there is no such thing as a VST synth that does what the Korg hardware workstations do without a huge sample library.
Ingonator wrote:If he likes Korg so why not try the M1 and the Wavestation plugin plugin first...
I came to think of it just after I posted my original post. I found some youtube demos and it all sounds very promising. Especially if I buy a microKEYS 61 from Thomann I get the plugins bundled with it for less than if I buy them separately from the webshop Korg links to. They are just M1 and Wavestation, though. Triton would be teh win.

Hi Triskal

To be honest, it sounds like you already have some excellent choices there, as recommended by the other KVR members.

I'd also suggest having a look at Zebra by u-he, as it is a very versatile synth with excellent presets and a great sound.

http://www.u-he.com/cms/zebra

(Also it's u-he sister DIVA is arguably the best 'analogue hardware sounding' softsynth on the market currently).

Cheers :)

The thing that, IMO, comes closer to Trident and Triton in concept and usability sounds (from THAT point of view) should be HALion Sonic, by Steinberg.
Fernando (FMR)

I used to have a Trinity rack the closest thing I have ever heard to it in software is Purity. Check it out you might really like it.

+1 for HALion Sonic or HALion 4. these are the closest things to a ROMpler like the ones from Yamaha, Roland or KORG. however, then you still have to deal with a library of around 15 gb. in fact the development of HALion Sonic included developers which were also responsible for the Yamaha Motif series. oh, and both HALion Sonic and HALion 4 include a very capable and good soundung VA engine.

Gosh wrote:these are the closest things to a ROMpler like the ones from Yamaha, Roland or KORG.
Thank you for teaching me a new word. I didn't know it was a rompler I'm looking for.

EDIT: U-he has Zebralette. I'll give it a try. Also found Proteus VX. I'll try that too.

EDIT2: Halion Sonic sounds more inspiring that Halion, quite surprisingly.

Thank you for recommendation, everybody. They are all highly appreciated.

Triskal wrote:But the problem with both is the huge sample library. No version of Korg Triton has a capacity to host a 12 - 40 gigs worth of samples, I don't believe that.
Yes, but workstations have smaller libraries because the storage media they rely on is expensive. Hard drive space space is much cheaper. So why does it make a difference to you? 40Gb isn't even a quarter of the space of the smallest mechanical hard drives you can actually find any more. It'd fit on a $100 SSD, with spare space.
Yes, workstations did a lot with smaller sample sets. I have no idea why people think that means larger sample sets are an inherent issue to be avoided.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I was actually considering selling my fully loaded Korg Triton ProX 88-key (MOSS Board, maxed-out RAM etc.) because I'm in the market for a portable digital piano (the Triton is a heavy beast) - currently located in the UK.

Send me a PM me if you're interested.

However, the above mentioned VSTi will do the trick as well.
-Res

As a long-time Korg fan (hence my name - Korg Karma), I love workstation romplers.

The one you need to look at is Wusikstation. It IS a rompler in the vein of the Korg Wavestation and above romplers.

It has a nice library and plenty of 3rd party support.

If you want a well-rounded workstation that uses the Wusik engine, take a look at PRIZM (www.supersynths.com) - it has a large library of sounds and can be used much like a Korg Triton, Karma, etc.

Mike

Karmacomposer wrote:The one you need to look at is Wusikstation. It IS a rompler in the vein of the Korg Wavestation and above romplers.
+1 for WusikStation

But I'm thinking, why not get yourself a Korg Krome, which cost no more than 1000 bucks from Sweetwater now

$1000 may sound much, but it is self contained workstation, so you don't really need a computer to use it.

If you want to get Komplete or Omnisphere, you need to also have a decent PC to run the plugs plus a midi keyboard interface, which in the end will cost just a much put together if not more.

yeah +1 for wusikstation just got V6 not too long ago for a really good deal still going on and really like the HGF free sounds makes me wanna get the full set, but i've spent too much already black friday.

Return to “Instruments”