Question about OHM studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there an offline mode yet ?
Yes I have read the previous threads on this but I would like to add a few things and ask a question of any users out there.
Firstly Ohm studio will not have to worry about "competing with other DAWs" because other DAws do not allow for online collaboration.
My scenario is like this - we have a guitarist , and vocalist in Manchester UK , bassist in another city and I am here in Northern Ireland with access to the fancy studio gear.
Now we want to add vocals and a few other things with ohmstudio and Ill take it into the studio and mix it and add a bit more . The problem is - like many proffesional recording studios - the studio DAW is not connected to the internet (to avoid virus hastles etc) .
This is why having an offline mode would make ohmstudio the most revolutionary DAW in the world today - even if it doesnt have all the fancy addons that some Daws have - until then the only thing I can think of doing is exporting each track seperately from ohmstudio and then importing them all separately into the studio in protools - which is a bit of a pain - if I had an offline version which I could download projects onto I could just take that in on my laptop . Im pretty sure version conflicts could be got round by giving versions different names or "combining them" as you can in Nuendo/cubase . Anyway I really think you would get a lot of users in the pro audio community who would really install this everywhere - I mean you could allow studios across the world to work with each other the implications are incredible !
As you guys are the first to do this (apart from that rocket thing which was sadly killed by apple) you would probably knock protools off their pedastal - but you would need some sort of offline capability....
Still even as things stand - it knocks the sh!t out of any other DAW and has saved us a load of money in transport costs !

I replied on the Ohm Studio forum where this was also posted.

In the example, if a user is using a DAW that's not connected to the internet, then whether it's OhmStudio or some other DAW means it's not going to be working with anyone else. You're going to have to extract audio bounces to a USB stick or whatever to transfer them to a machine that is connected to the internet.

It doesn't help Ohm Studio to have an "off line" mode where it cannot connect to other users.

pljones wrote:I replied on the Ohm Studio forum where this was also posted.

In the example, if a user is using a DAW that's not connected to the internet, then whether it's OhmStudio or some other DAW means it's not going to be working with anyone else. You're going to have to extract audio bounces to a USB stick or whatever to transfer them to a machine that is connected to the internet.

It doesn't help Ohm Studio to have an "off line" mode where it cannot connect to other users.
You seem to misunderstand my example. I replied to your reply on the Ohmstudio forum. It would help enormously to be able to do this in my current situation otherwise I wouldn't be making this post.
let me explain more clearly. My friends in Manchester have a sufficiently good quality microphone and soundcard to record the vocals - what they do not have is access to a fully equipped professional recording studio. I have access to fully equipped professional recording studio in which to mix and master here in Ireland. So they can record the vocals in manchester and I can finish the mixes (that we've already recorded large parts of here in Ireland) in the studio - it basically saves them physically coming over to Ireland to do it.
Basically I can, and will be, collaborating with my friends online. Many many edits and things can be done outside the studio and do not need pro audio gear. But the final mixing and mastering has to be done in the studio - which is strictly offline .
Offline mode would similarly allow proffesional recording studios , that do not connect their main DAW computers to the web, to exchange files and collaborate easily - They could still do stuff online with people - but they'd just have to save it onto a usb drive or laptop to bring into the studio . I mean they could do this anyway by post with protools sessions on multiple DVDs or wetransfer 20 2gb files - but ohmstudio could make the whole process much easier especially if the offline mode could sync with the online servers when it was on a laptop outside the studio.

Anyway apparently they have an offline mode in the making - so they also seem to see the value in it.

Off line mode while not decided is clearly starring at us on our plate. Actually there already is one off line version existing for testing purposes although it's far from ready for release.

What takes us back ? Concerns about integrity. Right now you see a project you want to join in, you send a request to the owner and you know that once invited, you'll be in the updated version of it. Allow for off line project and this will start to be very uncertain. Which means project browsing in search of something that you like would be far less efficient. It's not something unacceptable, but a balance shall be found.

And there is the technical side : to do it in a convenient way, to do it without security holes, we have to spend quite some time on this. Time that will not be spend on other features.

But the intention is there, and it's even really high in the list. So it's rather a matter of "when" than "if"...

Red_Force wrote:Off line mode while not decided is clearly starring at us on our plate. Actually there already is one off line version existing for testing purposes although it's far from ready for release.

What takes us back ? Concerns about integrity. Right now you see a project you want to join in, you send a request to the owner and you know that once invited, you'll be in the updated version of it. Allow for off line project and this will start to be very uncertain. Which means project browsing in search of something that you like would be far less efficient. It's not something unacceptable, but a balance shall be found.

And there is the technical side : to do it in a convenient way, to do it without security holes, we have to spend quite some time on this. Time that will not be spend on other features.

But the intention is there, and it's even really high in the list. So it's rather a matter of "when" than "if"...
Right on - feel cheesy saying it but "love your work" :wink:

Don't. Getting people happy with what we do is a good deal of the idea (some forces don't even want to be rich, but not all of them, thank god! ) :hihi:

Red_Force wrote:Don't. Getting people happy with what we do is a good deal of the idea (some forces don't even want to be rich, but not all of them, thank god! ) :hihi:
I can ease their guilt over what I suspect will one day be a massive income by offering my services as an ethical investment :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”