PsyGen, PsyBox and Ambitron from M-RGT?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ambitron psyBOX psyGEN

Does anyone have experience with these (good or bad)? I need another synth like a hole in the head, but was wondering if I should pull the trigger on one or more of these during the company's sale, which ends today. I bought Padshop Pro recently, and wonder if there is anything that these do that PSP would not. Thanks!

I got PsyBox before the sale, and even then I felt very lucky.

If you like drones, it's a complete No-Brainer deal IMO.

Maybe more than a musical tool, it is something I like just leaving on and listening to, let the sound fill the room slowly, with all it's subtle changes.

Why should I ever bother buying a Steve Roach album again, now that I got PsyBox? :love:

bharris22 wrote:Does anyone have experience with these (good or bad)? I need another synth like a hole in the head, but was wondering if I should pull the trigger on one or more of these during the company's sale, which ends today. I bought Padshop Pro recently, and wonder if there is anything that these do that PSP would not. Thanks!
psyBOX, Ambitron and psyGEN are very different than PadShop Pro. Download the demos to try them out. psyGEN has a 16 channel sequencer and I believe PadShop Pro is only 2 channels. You can load your own samples with all three synths. Ambitron has a "pilotless" mode where you can set it randomly play all patches and wav files continuously in a streaming manner. I think psyGEN and Ambitron might have a more extensive Modulation Matrix than PSP. The granular engine in all three might also differ from PSP.

so theoretically there's nothing you can't do with psygen that you can't with PSP although the granular engine might be different so it might sound a bit different?

I think M-RGT plugs are lighter on the CPU than Padshop Pro.

I was tempted to buy Padshop Pro, but when I tried out the demo, it quickly turned into a glitch fest on my setup...

ScottZ wrote:so theoretically there's nothing you can't do with psygen that you can't with PSP although the granular engine might be different so it might sound a bit different?
I haven't done an extensive side-by-side comparison with PSP and I might be biased but I think our granulizer has a slight edge over PSP. Now, there are some nice features of PSP for sure but for the difference in price I think we might be a bigger bang for he buck. :)

I can safely tell you that you cannot go wrong with all three of RGT's synths.

They are well programmed, sound great and do very amazing things. IMO, all three are great additions to Padshop Pro.

I bought Padshop Pro a bit ago and it is amazing, but RGT's synths are easier to work with. Some of them are literally automatic.

I own psyBOX and psyGEN and both are AMAZING!

I have yet to buy Ambitron - not sure if I need it.

Mike

For the money they're all a great buy.

psyBOX is great at generating textures, and psyGEN is so versatile. Haven't used Ambitron but I'm sure it's as good as the other two.

Numanoid wrote:I got PsyBox before the sale, and even then I felt very lucky.

Maybe more than a musical tool, it is something I like just leaving on and listening to, let the sound fill the room slowly, with all it's subtle changes.

Why should I ever bother buying a Steve Roach album again, now that I got PsyBox? :love:
so does psybox have an autopilot thing like ambitron then?

Yes, you press play, and the drone commences

In the download you get two versions of the plug, one prepacked, and one you can use to load your own samples.

ScottZ wrote:
Numanoid wrote:I got PsyBox before the sale, and even then I felt very lucky.

so does psybox have an autopilot thing like ambitron then?
No morphing between patches like psyGEN. However, the nature of the granulizer is such that as the sound progresses it slowly changes its timbre depending on how you set the parameters. So, theoretically it will never play the same patch exactly the same. But it will not morph to a new patch/sample like Ambitron does.
Last edited by Bobbotov on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I haven't used X-Wheel of fortune much, but I think that plug has more in common with PsyGen than Padshop Pro, or am I wrong?

Numanoid wrote:I haven't used X-Wheel of fortune much, but I think that plug has more in common with PsyGen than Padshop Pro, or am I wrong?
Not sure if X-Wheel is still available but HGF has DreamMachine which does continuous morphing like Ambitron.

Numanoid wrote:I haven't used X-Wheel of fortune much, but I think that plug has more in common with PsyGen than Padshop Pro, or am I wrong?
No, X-Wheel of Fortune doesn't have anywhere near the same morphing ability and I don't know if it's actually granular - I think it's just a few sequencers working in parallel (might be wrong).

robojam wrote:
No, X-Wheel of Fortune doesn't have anywhere near the same morphing ability and I don't know if it's actually granular - I think it's just a few sequencers working in parallel (might be wrong).
No, it is not granular. It just cycles through patches/waveforms. I believe it also uses SoundFonts which we don't.

Return to “Instruments”