All-DC12 Track

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

highkoo has done a great job, I like the song, please, don't let the poison
grow here too when there's absolutely no reason for that: it's a free track! :help:

i think whoever is worrying about if they have permission to actually use these plugs is being kind of ridiculous. if a dev made something and gave it away, unless they explicitly say otherwise, they are making it available so you can use it. otherwise they wouldn't use any of their bandwidth hosting the thing, or wouldn't have made it in the first place. this is kind of an absurd concern.

just use it! ;)

Cupwise wrote:i think whoever is worrying about if they have permission to actually use these plugs is being kind of ridiculous.
I'm the person. :) It concerns me because two out of eleven requests I have made to developers to make video of their plugin has not been granted. So, I didn't make those two videos. People are unpredictable. I just want to make sure it's really okay to do it. I suppose that's what licenses are for but the typical license agreements are vague about the making video part and most developers do not even include a license agreement. I know it's freeware... but still.

harryupbabble wrote:I suppose that's what licenses are for but the typical license agreements are vague about the making video part and most developers do not even include a license agreement. I know it's freeware... but still.
You are right, most people copycat the license from other licenses. I confess I did it too in the first steps years ago, just adapted to my needs. Anyway I think video-tests can be assimilated to audio tests and free songs, as long as they are freely available. :)

i think if you release a freeware sound tool, and don't specify in a license that the user can't use it for this or that, they are going to have the law on their side, just like with any piece of software. i couldn't make a freely available text editor and then complain if someone made an e-book with it and sold that document. i'm talking about the legalities and actually i'm no expert on the law but that would be my assumption there. that's one issue and obviously just going by 'legalities' isn't always going to be the best way to handle things, like if you request specific permission from someone and they deny it. but in that case i just really have to say.... why did they make something as 'freeware' and then refuse your using it? if i gave you a hammer i wouldn't expect you to ask my permission to use it.

further we are talking about contest entries here? to me that seems to go against the actual spirit or maybe, possibly, contest rules. a video... maybe i could see them having some kind of ground to say 'you are showing the plug and demonstrating it, so it's not a musical thing so much as it is an exposition of my work that gets you attention on your youtube channel.' i mean it seems like they are really just telling you 'no i don't want your free promotion', but whatever, i can at least see an argument there. but to say that you can only use it in freely available music/tracks? again, i suppose someone could make their own license agreement specifying that, but for an entry in this contest it seems to go against the spirit and possibly the rules. and it just seems like a very unrealistic thing to expect someone to abide by such an arbitrary limit on a free tool you gave them. what kind of mindset is that?

Acrobat wrote: Anyway I think video-tests can be assimilated to audio tests and free songs, as long as they are freely available. :)
Okay, but to be doubly sure, you yourself are giving permission to me or to anyone to make video of free tunes or songs that includes any of your freeware plugin?

Earlier, you commented that you have seen at least three YouTube videos of your Alieno plugin used without your permission. I was not sure if you are okay with that. It's hard to tell emotions in the internet. :)

back on topic

http://www.xoxos.net/temp/helioxboids.mp3

excerpts from environmental tracks with 2 dc entries ;) i love how they sound like recordings from a metropolitan parking garage.

please... post your audio!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

harryupbabble wrote:Earlier, you commented that you have seen at least three YouTube videos of your Alieno plugin used without your permission. I was not sure if you are okay with that. It's hard to tell emotions in the internet. :)
Actually I never said that. I said someone did WITHOUT ME pushing to do that. It's a different picture, I just tried to wash away some arguing about developers doing THIS or THAT. We are definitely not big companies or such, I mean, look at us, I really don't know why there's so many discussions these days, it should be the Maya prophecy or something.. let's enjoy Xoxos mp3 now!

Okay, fair enough dude. Peace. :) Oh, ah... I used your FRET plugin in one of my tune and thinking about making a video. Please... do I have your permission? It's okay if you say no.

Thanks to highkoo for making/posting the DC12 track, and to the devs who are
cheering the idea on... I've been working on 2 different DC12-only tracks myself, and will happily send them to the cloud and reply here when they're done (Hopefully achieved before the heat death of the universe, but I hate rushing).

Cupwise wrote:but to say that you can only use it in freely available music/tracks? again, i suppose someone could make their own license agreement specifying that, but for an entry in this contest it seems to go against the spirit and possibly the rules. and it just seems like a very unrealistic thing to expect someone to abide by such an arbitrary limit on a free tool you gave them. what kind of mindset is that?
Sounds like a GPL :D

harryupbabble wrote:Okay, fair enough dude. Peace. :) Oh, ah... I used your FRET plugin in one of my tune and thinking about making a video. Please... do I have your permission? It's okay if you say no.
Of course you can, I am very open to those kind of collaborations. :)

harryupbabble wrote:I am asking permission to use your freeware plugins in my noncommercial tunes and videos. Thank You. :)
Feel free to use our software in any kind of project.

Only keep in mind that you are responsible for any copyright infringement as stated under the 'Terms and Conditions' in the 'readme' file.

BTW, if your project is going to end in a distributable format like CD, would be nice to see our name credited within...

Thank you for choosing 'Trans Computer Maschine'.

Good luck with your work!

CMT

Danke CMT and grazie Acrobat, for the permissions. :)

harryupbabble wrote:Danke CMT and grazie Acrobat, for the permissions. :)
prego, I think sequenced music of TCM and FRET Phase modulation principles are very nice arguments to show in video. Sequences were the very start of electronic music in the years of Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk and synths like DX7 pushed a real sonic revolution in the eighties. :D

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”