Pitched Delay - KVR Developer Challenge

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Andywanders wrote:One negative thing though: I tried it as an insert in Reaper and noticed a problem when using "Bypass/Un-bypass FX". When "Un-Bypassing", It kinda hangs for a few milliseconds and produces an awful noise - like a stuck audio buffer trying to clear, or something. I know that's a lousy description but it's the only way I can describe it.
Thanks for the report, I was able to reproduce this. It seems to be some feedback loop, I'll have a look for a fix.

It seems unrelated to the bypass but occurs with rather high feedback settings and enabled pitch shifting. I'm currently quite busy but will have a look for a fix next week.

lkjb wrote:It seems unrelated to the bypass but occurs with rather high feedback settings and enabled pitch shifting. I'm currently quite busy but will have a look for a fix next week.
Thanks lkjb.

Looking forward to the fix.

:D

make some presets too please.
i just can't seem to find a setting i like at the moment.
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Some presets... Just 15 for now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?r3d5nr4838ge32m

They were done in a hurry cos my time is limited, and you'll probably need to tweak them to taste.

I'm really enjoying this plugin. It works best on a bus though - it seems to add a delay to the dry signal when used as an insert effect - a bug maybe. :?

But I love it anyway.

I've been missing this kind of effect ever since I sold my old Yamaha SPX..something-or-other-rack unit more than 10 years ago. Shit... That was a great piece of kit.

To the developer...

Dear Mr lkjb, Please consider developing this plugin further. As far as I can see, there's nothing else like it and it deserves the top prize IMO.

Sure, it 'aint perfect and there are some bugs here 'n there. But it is UNIQUE..!

There are already plenty of synths, gates, exciters, reverbs, EQs and what-nots, but in my humble opinion, this stands out a mile.

I know my presets probably won't do it full justice, but you should also know that your work is very much appreciated.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH :D

And to my fellow KVRians....

Please give this plug a shot.

You might be pleasantly surprised.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

realmarco wrote: i thought it was just another Delay..the pitch-shifting thing wasnt apparent
Right. That's why he named it Pitch delay. :hihi:

bk wrote:
realmarco wrote: i thought it was just another Delay..the pitch-shifting thing wasnt apparent
Right. That's why he named it Pitch delay. :hihi:
D'oh ! *facepalm*
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

I just release version 1.0.2 which in a way fixes the strange noise. The problem seems to be that the feedback messes up the pitch shifter (which I assume wasn't built with this application in mind :)). I added an DC remove and a clipping stage which at least keeps the samples inside a valid range (but of course introduces some clipping with higher levels).

The plugin introduces some latency, but this should be compensated by the host. At least in Reaper (Windows) I can cancel the processed signal (no active delay tabs) with an unprocessed signal.
Andywanders wrote:Some presets... Just 15 for now.
Thanks! When I find some time I will add some kind of preset management. Can I use this presets as shipping presets?

As long as there is some interest in the plugin and I find the time I will maintain it. Feel free to bump me on bugs and feature requests.
As the plugin is open source even if I don't maintain the plugin any more you might find another developer.

lkjb wrote:Can I use this presets as shipping presets?
Of course... I'd be honoured :)

lkjb wrote:I just release version 1.0.2 which in a way fixes the strange noise...
The presets made with the earlier version won't load into this.

:(

Andywanders wrote:The presets made with the earlier version won't load into this.
Not good. I'll have a look, what went wrong.
I also think I will make an .fxp based preset management where you will be able to load the old presets.

Until then I made fxpFixer as a quick fix. You can drop your .fxp preset files and it will create a fixed copy with "_fixed" appended to the file name.

lkjb wrote:Until then I made fxpFixer as a quick fix. You can drop your .fxp preset files and it will create a fixed copy with "_fixed" appended to the file name.
Thanks... That works :)

One thing I noticed...

There seems to be added latency to the dry signal. I noticed it in the first version - haven't had a chance to check the latest one, but it causes timing problems when playing live and using PD as an insert.

And a couple of suggestions for future a version (if you don't mind)...

1) Would it be possible to add a "Pan" parameter for each tab?

2) An LFO to modulate delay time and/or pitch would be cool too. Though this isn't really a must-have, it would enable PitchedDelay to do some crazy (sorry, CRAZIER) effects.

Cheers :)

There seems to be added latency to the dry signal. I noticed it in the first version - haven't had a chance to check the latest one, but it causes timing problems when playing live and using PD as an insert.
The plugin has some delay, which originates in the pitch shifter's latency.
A latency free mode might be possible if the minimum delay is set to the pitch's latency (like it's already when pitching inside the feedback).
1) Would it be possible to add a "Pan" parameter for each tab?
Definately planned. Do you think a balance parameter for stereo is needed too?
2) An LFO to modulate delay time and/or pitch would be cool too. Though this isn't really a must-have, it would enable PitchedDelay to do some crazy (sorry, CRAZIER) effects.
Pitch should be rather easy. Can't say how well the pitch shifter sounds when modulated.

The delay is only sample-accurate accurate (e.g. 1.1 ms -> 48.1 samples -> 48 samples -> 1.09 ms), so this probably would be rather rough.
On the other hand, intersample accuracy would also benefit tempo-synced feedback (not sure how much the inaccuracy really is an issue) and the pitch shifter might be able to compensate the pitching due to the modulated delay length. Especially the latter one could be really funny. I must think about this. :)

lkjb wrote:The plugin has some delay, which originates in the pitch shifter's latency.
Ah, ok.
lkjb wrote:Do you think a balance parameter for stereo is needed too?
I wouldn't say it's needed, but it may be useful when using it as an insert.
lkjb wrote:Pitch should be rather easy. Can't say how well the pitch shifter sounds when modulated.
Sounds scary... I like it :)
lkjb wrote:On the other hand, intersample accuracy would also benefit tempo-synced feedback (not sure how much the inaccuracy really is an issue) and the pitch shifter might be able to compensate the pitching due to the modulated delay length. Especially the latter one could be really funny. I must think about this. :)
Not sure what all that means, but I am sure looking forward to the next update.

Once again, thanks for all your hard work :)

Return to “Effects”