(the product formerly known as) Epoch

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Will the CV output be switchable to CV/Gate and CV/Hz ?

Yes, you can connect any internal signal to a CV output. Sequencer pitch and gate are the obvious ones, but anything goes: velocity, LFO depth, even clock or counter signals.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

I have only just heard of this and am quite excited - I have been writing my MIDI stuff in Matlab(and lusting after Numerology on Win) so Lua plus a bunch of already developed modules will be great
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Sound like Epoch'll be perfect for you then! When the beta is out, I'd certainly be interested in hearing your opinion, particularly if you feel any areas need improving when compared to Matlab & MIDI.

Whilst I'm posting, I may as well give a brief update on progress. The final big outstanding development task - audio and MIDI output routing - is now done. And it only took four start-again-from-scratch rewrites. I've decided to keep external MIDI output as a feature in all formats: although RTAS and VST both handle plug-in to plug-in MIDI routing admirably, being able to access hardware MIDI outputs or virtual ports directly has turned out to be quite handy. Plus, it's useful for those rare VST hosts (Renoise, for one) which don't yet support plug-in MIDI out.

Support for multiple audio outputs is also complete, which means hosted plug-ins can now have discrete channels for post processing in a host. This is also handy for plug-ins, such as the rather incredible DrumSpillage, which support discrete outputs themselves.

So we're now feature complete and onto final polish and usability testing. Not long now, my patient followers, not long at all!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote:Sound like Epoch'll be perfect for you then! When the beta is out, I'd certainly be interested in hearing your opinion, particularly if you feel any areas need improving when compared to Matlab & MIDI.
with Lua, midi.lua and scilua for a bit of a maths / stats I will be a happy chappy for sure (or at least they look good at a glance, Lua will be new for me)

Will I be able to add my own graphics to show things like a graph of a probability distribution as I change parameters?

Will I be able to add my own graphics to show things like a graph of a probability distribution as I change parameters?
Not for the initial version, but this is something I intend to look at in the future. You do, however, get a CV scope module - time vs amplitude - which is rather useful for tracking parameters, as well as for debugging purposes.

colin@loomer wrote:
Not for the initial version, but this is something I intend to look at in the future. You do, however, get a CV scope module - time vs amplitude - which is rather useful for tracking parameters, as well as for debugging purposes.
thanks Colin - it is very handy to be able to see something like the beta distribution http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_distribution with different parameters. It's my favourite function for probability distributions in music coz it approximates more or less everything you need with just two parameters to tweak :)

A CV scope module is rather useful for tracking parameters, as well as for debugging purposes, but a side from this there should be a measuring tool to see the exact CV values also.

Do we get a Math module with +, -, *, / functions ?
And a Bolean module with and, or, xor functions ?
or a Shiftregister module ?

A module list and more pictures for christmas, please! :D

jowen wrote:there should be a measuring tool to see the exact CV values also.
We do: the Value Display module does exactly this. There is also a Logic Level Display module, which illuminates when receiving a high gate or boolean true signal.
A module list and more pictures for christmas, please! :D
Happy Christmas then! This is the current list; I've also got about another handful of modules which I've excluded from this list simply because I'm debating as to whether, for various reasons, they are staying in or not. This is core modules only, and includes neither Lua Scripts, nor the default macros: together I can easily see them accounting for the equivalent of several hundred more modules. Note that the names of the modules are also liable to change in the final run to release.
  • CV Sequencer
  • Gate Generator
  • Note Sequencer
  • CV to Note
  • Note to CV
  • Drum Sequencer
  • Key and Scale
  • MIDI Note Trigger
  • MIDI Mono Note
  • MIDI Input Controller
  • MIDI Input Pitch Bend
  • MIDI Input Channel Aftertouch
  • MIDI Output
  • Audio CV Output
  • Switch 1 to 2
  • Switch 2 to 1
  • Switch 1 to 4
  • Switch 4 to 1
  • Constant
  • Add
  • Delay
  • Subtract
  • Multiply
  • Divide
  • Minimum
  • Maximum
  • Modulo
  • LFO
  • Gate Chance
  • Absolute
  • Compare
  • Bind
  • Crossfade
  • SH
  • Shift Register
  • Inverter
  • Counter
  • Accumulator
  • Clock
  • Aligned Trigger
  • Random
  • Change Trigger
  • Edge Detector
  • Start Trigger
  • Slew Limiter
  • Logic Not
  • Logic Gate
  • TFlipFlop
  • Clock Divider
  • Lua Script
  • CV Scope
  • Value Display
  • Rotary
  • Toggle Button
  • Momentary Button
  • Unit Delay
  • Logic Level Display
  • Macro
  • Macro Input
  • Macro Output
I suspect the names of these are, on the whole, self-explanatory, although perhaps a few could do with a brief description:
  • Key and Scale: definitely marked to be renamed before release, this module has two inputs - key and scale - which serve as modulation points for changing the key and scale via CV.
  • Aligned Trigger: quantises the time of the input trigger to the nearest specified beat.
  • Gate Chance: two inputs, gate and probability (from 0.0 to 1.0, where 0.0 is never, and 1.0 is always), this module randomly lets the specified percentage of gate signals through, whilst blocking all others. What is nice here is that, because the probability is also a CV input, you can use anything - another sequencer, a rotary control, a lua script - to control the chance of the gate. Here's a macro I often use (with the external view of the macro pasted underneath, and please excuse the non-finalised appearance of the modules and labels. Chance and Note on the left are the macro inputs; Note on the right is the output.)
Click for full-size image, un-blurred by KVRs resizing!

If anyone can think of any core functions which aren't covered by this module list, be sure to let me know. I think most bases are covered, particularly when you include the Lua module. Did I mention that you can code Lua modules in real-time, hit compile, and instantly hear your changes? :P

Oh, and in case it isn't obvious, a macro module is a container for other modules; very nice for wrapping complex patches within an opaque unit, or for building re-usable components. Other than that, they function as normal modules: you can embed them recursively, copy them, paste them, etc.

The only caveat here is that they (currently) aren't aliases: if you have several copies of a single macro, changing one won't change them all. Perhaps in a future revision, if such a request gets enough demand?

Hey Colin,

I'm a big fan of your plugins and I own them all. But I don't understand more than half of what has been talked about in this topic on the new plugin.

Will it have a good manual? I'm afraid I can't keep up with you guys... Will it be usable for someone who knows subtractive synthesis?

manducator wrote:Will it have a good manual? I'm afraid I can't keep up with you guys...
Absolutely: it probably won't have a manual for the initial public beta, but one will appear at some point soon after. How early really depends on how steep the learning curve turns out to be!
Will it be usable for someone who knows subtractive synthesis?
Sure: it's not really that difficult once you've mastered a few basic ideas, and I've done all I can to make it easy for someone who no coding or modular experience at all to jump in. The cables make flow between modules easy to follow, and there's no need to remember 'hot inlet'* rules or anything potentially complex like that. The default preset (mono note sequencer to MIDI output) is configured such that it will work without any further user interaction beyond pressing play: this isn't the type of application for which you need to consume pages of documentation before getting it to even make some noise!

There are also plans brewing for a series of video tutorials: again, the priority on this is largely dependant on how quickly the user-base demands them.

* And if you don't know what that means, don't worry: it's not something you need to know anyway!

Sure: it's not really that difficult once you've mastered a few basic ideas,

There are also plans brewing for a series of video tutorials
That's what I wanted to read. :love:

Hello Colin

You asked for some remarks about the modul list:

like to see a Rotary and Sliders Up/down and left/right

could the colors of the Rotary and the Buttons be set by the user?

could the Rotary and the Buttons be triggerd that they send out the values?

the switches should go at least to 8 better would be 16, mean 1 to 16 or 16 to 1

like to have the logic AND and Logic XOR also as a Module , that would make things easier

SH is S&H, Sample and Hold ?

with the Compare module its possible to do things like equal, not equal, equal and greater or equal and less?

Could all the math modules be triggered that they make the calculation at a specific moment and keep this value till the next calculation??

best
jue
Located in the European Outback

jue wrote: like to see a Rotary and Sliders Up/down and left/right
could the colors of the Rotary and the Buttons be set by the user?
Not at the moment, but I do have plans for this in a future revision. Ultimately, I intend for you to build custom "dashboards", onto which you'll be able to create your own UI.
could the Rotary and the Buttons be triggerd that they send out the values?
There is no event system as such, it's all continuous CV values. But yes, you can do this by routing the rotary through a Sample & Hold module.
the switches should go at least to 8 better would be 16, mean 1 to 16 or 16 to 1
Easily done, I'll seriously consider adding these, thanks for the suggestion. (Of course, you could also make your own switches and relays with a few lines of Lua script.)
like to have the logic AND and Logic XOR also as a Module , that would make things easier
The Logic Gate does this: it has two inputs, and can be set to AND, NAND, OR, NOR, XOR, and XNOR modes.
SH is S&H, Sample and Hold ?
Yes, SH is Sample & Hold. Sorry, I accidentally missed the & from the module name!
with the Compare module its possible to do things like equal, not equal, equal and greater or equal and less?
The full list of operations on a Compare module are "less than", "less than or equal", "equal", "more than", "more than or equal", and "not equal"
Could all the math modules be triggered that they make the calculation at a specific moment and keep this value till the next calculation??
Yes, using the ever reliable Sample & Hold.

Thanks for the questions and suggestions, jue; much appreciated.

Return to “Loomer”