What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Phase Shifter: underappreciated?

Official support for: hgsounds.com

Moderator: Astralp

User avatar
ccDuckett
KVRist
 
199 posts since 14 Jun, 2011, from Earth

Postby ccDuckett; Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:14 pm Phase Shifter: underappreciated?

I just felt the need to express my heartfelt thanks for Phase Shifter,
and my surprise that there's no other threads here talking about it.
Perhaps it's not quite the "does everything but fold your laundry" beast some
of the others are, but for me, there's still plenty of tweakable depth to it,
and what it does, it does quite well. The GUI isn't outrageously busy or arcane,
it's been very well-behaved and stable, and best of all, the sound... rich, unique, and avoids that uninspiring impression of "yet-another-rompler-with-a-modulation-matrix+FX-chain-tacked-on". (Not that there's anything wrong
with a VSTi of that nature per se, only it seems like it's been done to death.)
In any case, I very much enjoy and use Phase Shifter, and wanted to say
"Thanks a million"- and am interested in others' thoughts on it. Love it too?
Hate it? Meh? What say you?
como baila
KVRian
 
603 posts since 15 Oct, 2003, from 'SoCal' California

Postby como baila; Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:25 am

Andy's work is across the board under appreciated. It is a crying shame he hasn't gotten the sales to support his visions and talent.

I haven't spent much time with the phase shifter, but Vortex is a brilliant piece of software ... lacking about 4 features to move it to absolutely 'can't live without it' status.

They are, in my opinion: 1) sync to transport; 2) extend sequences to 8 bars; 3) global swing parameters; and, 4) import midi ... ideally drag and drop with dialog to ask which track and which 8 bars or less, but even to import a one track 8 bar or less file.

Who'd need Maschine or Renaissance then?

I hope he finds the support, interest and enthusiasm to finish of this fantastic project.

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.
Astralp
KVRian
 
1105 posts since 25 Feb, 2005, from UK

Postby Astralp; Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:30 am

Thanks both of you. I really enjoyed working on Phase Shifter being a Steve Reich fan, I wanted to keep to the original spirit whilst exploring some of the possibilities software offered in the phase shifting realm. It is perhaps a bit too specialized for most people, but definitely unique in what it does (plus it's free!) :) I'm very warmed to know that it is being used still, thankyou!

Como: I'm building up to working on Vortex and ARP again, it is simply funding some time as it has sold very few. I'm hoping that the current sale + the 2 new releases will help me to free up January for a 'phase 2' effort. It currently has swing half implemented but it is proving very tricky because of all the different clocks, I still haven't find an ideal way to implement it. It's so easy with a single clock!
User avatar
Nielzie
KVRAF
 
4838 posts since 28 May, 2005, from Netherlands

Postby Nielzie; Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:48 am

como baila wrote:Andy's work is across the board under appreciated. It is a crying shame he hasn't gotten the sales to support his visions and talent.


+1

The man is very talented indeed and deserves more recognition imho.
como baila
KVRian
 
603 posts since 15 Oct, 2003, from 'SoCal' California

Postby como baila; Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:12 am

Astralp wrote:
Como: I'm building up to working on Vortex and ARP again, it is simply funding some time as it has sold very few. I'm hoping that the current sale + the 2 new releases will help me to free up January for a 'phase 2' effort. It currently has swing half implemented but it is proving very tricky because of all the different clocks, I still haven't find an ideal way to implement it. It's so easy with a single clock!


Andy! It is so good to hear from you.

I never open my DAW without thinking of you and Vortex. I've been delving deeply into Synfire these days, as the new Express version was something I was able to afford. I'm still getting my head around it, but it is incredible. I'm looking forward to creating broad stroked in Synfire, exporting the midi to my DAW and then embellishing with Vortex.

TBH, of my four issues, swing is the least important to me ... it's the others I'd most like to see.

Why would you really need more than two, or at most 3 swing clocks anyway? Really only one assignable to any sequencer with unassigned sequencers running on straight time would do plenty.

All the best!

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.
Astralp
KVRian
 
1105 posts since 25 Feb, 2005, from UK

Postby Astralp; Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:30 pm

como baila wrote:
Astralp wrote:Andy! It is so good to hear from you.

I never open my DAW without thinking of you and Vortex. I've been delving deeply into Synfire these days, as the new Express version was something I was able to afford. I'm still getting my head around it, but it is incredible. I'm looking forward to creating broad stroked in Synfire, exporting the midi to my DAW and then embellishing with Vortex.

TBH, of my four issues, swing is the least important to me ... it's the others I'd most like to see.

Why would you really need more than two, or at most 3 swing clocks anyway? Really only one assignable to any sequencer with unassigned sequencers running on straight time would do plenty.

All the best!

Como


You too!

Looks interesting, it is a hefty price tag though!

As for swing it's actually the complexity of how I designed the clocks, don't know if you remember but I changed it a few times in the initial stages in order to bulletproof the sync issues. However the way I ended up doing it has made swing impossible to implement at the front where it should be, and so I have begun processing it at the end of the midi chain, but keeping track of all of the midi information is nothing short of a nightmare. I would rather leave swing out than make it unstable. I haven't worked on it for a few months but I seem to think I have made some progress :)

Moderator: Astralp

Return to Homegrown Sounds