My Receptor won't turn on

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everybody.

Unfortunately my Receptor Pro (750 gig) which is still in an excellent condition won't turn on anymore. Basically, press the power button and nothing happens. I've had it for about 6 years now, but i've used it very little just to stream some of the old EAST WEST orchestral libraries from time to time. It hasn't been moved or anything like that.

So What could be wrong with it?

No sign of power at all?

Could be a dead power supply.

-John

hopkihc wrote:No sign of power at all?

Could be a dead power supply.

-John
Hi John,

That's right. No sign of power at all. I couldn't find an authorized service center for receptor in Los Angeles. I don't think if there is any. Looks like their support policy is completely changed since I've contacted them few years ago.

well, if this happens to be a dead power supply, would it be something that I can get fixed in a local electronic shop? maybe a service center that deals with electronic musical instruments?

Yeah, I'd sort of assume that if Muse were to authorize a repair, they'd want you to ship the unit to them.

Worth an ask to see how much they'd charge for a repair and compare that to bench time costs at a really good local computer repair shop.

I can't imagine the power supply itself costing much.

One more question...

Is the stock power supply a seperate independent unit inside the box, or is it integrated in the motherboard?

The power supply will be a box with leads coming from it to the motherboard. This is an OLD pic of the internals (not sure of the model... so don't assume yours looks the same):

http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/mar05 ... rnal.l.jpg

You can see the hard drive mounted on top of the power supply (note that the IEC connector is on that side of the case).

It has to be some sort of 1U supply, which your average mom-n-pop screwdriver shop likely won't stock.

Now, having said all of this...

We shouldn't rule out that it could be your power cable :). I know that sounds unlikely--and it probably is--but I actually had an IEC cable fail on me a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had a dead power supply in my PC, but it was the cable! So, do try swapping out the power cable first.

Thanks a lot! Ok, so in any case, it's a seperate box of its own connected to the motherboard. A local technician asked me about that. Assuming all this has to do with a faulty power supply, he might be able to fix it. I'm not sure if this is a standard power supply that can be bought from anywhere, or it's something i have to buy from muse research.

I already tried different cables. I even tried receptor's cable on my keyboards , and it seems there's nothing wrong with it.

Very disappointed with the extremely poor customer support. They've changed so much and it's definitely not the same company I used to deal with few years ago. They never answered any of the e-mails or tickets that I created. Not even one of them. You can't even get to talk to the tech support over the phone anymore. Now, If I wanted to buy something from them, they'd be all over me.That's never gonna happen again.

I will definitely share my experience on ProAudio forums dear Muse Receptor.

In any case, a local technician who repairs all kinds of pro-audio gears contacted me that the power supply is dead for sure. He said when he connected it to another power supply, he was able to turn it on. He even connected it to an external monitor and was able to see the faders and such, but none of the lights/leds on the front panel turn on. He said when the power supply died it probably took something else down with it. He'll look more into that.

What could possibly be wrong with the front panel?

First I should say that I am sorry for any problems you have faced. We have changed support over the past few years. We off a $99 plan that gives you phone support for 1 year. This is much like Apple Care, but we offer it for units that are even out of warranty.

If you do not want to pay the $99, we do offer the help desk for free. Sounds like you know about this service already. We are very diligent about answering tickets. If you want to give me your Plugorama account name I can look and see what has gone wrong. We want to make sure all our customers old and new get the service they need.

Once again I am sorry for the experience you have. We will never ignore a customer's problem. Hopefully whatever happened in your situation can be fixed so this will not happen again.

Thanks,
Gary
Muse Support and QA

I've had great support form Muse, and Gary in particular. Sorry to hear your experience differed.
tritonkorg wrote:What could possibly be wrong with the front panel?
Have your electronics guy check whether the LED is powered off a lead from the power supply. (I don't know offhand.) If, when testing another power supply, he didn't also hook a lead to the front panel, there's your problem. So, the new power supply would fix that, provided it's hooked up correctly!

If, however, that front panel is powered off the motherboard, well, then, er... yeah, maybe something got fried. He'd have to check power where the front panel connects to the motherboard to see if there's voltage/signal at those contacts.

-John

gary@museresearch wrote:First I should say that I am sorry for any problems you have faced. We have changed support over the past few years. We off a $99 plan that gives you phone support for 1 year. This is much like Apple Care, but we offer it for units that are even out of warranty.

If you do not want to pay the $99, we do offer the help desk for free. Sounds like you know about this service already. We are very diligent about answering tickets. If you want to give me your Plugorama account name I can look and see what has gone wrong. We want to make sure all our customers old and new get the service they need.

Once again I am sorry for the experience you have. We will never ignore a customer's problem. Hopefully whatever happened in your situation can be fixed so this will not happen again.

Thanks,
Gary
Muse Support and QA
I'm sorry too Gary. Before I purchase an expensive product, I always look into the support line. At the time of purchase, I was told that Muse is a small company, and if something goes wrong there would be a good chance that they'll provide a better cusomer service in a more personal level. That wasn't the case at all. Either, i'm offered to pay more to get someone talk to me, or I get some upgrade deals to a newer machine to get my problem fixed. I've always made supportive and positive comments about receptor in proaudio forums. I put a stop to all that. Anyways, none of this matters anymore. The only reason that I logged back in was to thank a forum memeber for his support and to report that I got the unit back today, and everything seems to be working for now. So I just noticed you left a message. Thanks for responding.

I'll just go ahead and use it for now. If it dies on my again soon, i'll just call it a bad investment and move on.
Last edited by tritonkorg on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

hopkihc wrote:I've had great support form Muse, and Gary in particular. Sorry to hear your experience differed.
well, it wasn't all that bad after all. You were very helpful and I gotta thank you for that.
Today, I got back the unit. I know they replaced the power supply, but they didn't say anything about the front panel problem anymore. Not sure why they were having problems with that few days ago. It cost about $300 to get it repaired. ($125 for the power supply). I thought it was gonna cost more, so kind of happy about that. No more spending money for anything with Muse Research logo on so hopefully it will last longer this time. wish me luck...

Thanks again

Return to “Muse Research and Development”