Who else is using the "impulse" by Novation?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've had mine now close to a week and it's pretty good. Keys feel much better than I thought they would, controls work, automap is fine and working with live or S1 is nearly a dream (no more random CC freakshow!!!!)

But there are some things I don't like:

-The pitch and mod wheel are not super responsive feeling. Kind a stiff/sticky. Works ok but doesn't really feel right.
-I hate pads on these controllers. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE! (tbf, every controller I've used with pad blows chunks!
-You know, I'm not a "slammer" but I keep getting aftertouch messages when recording. Easy enough to fix, but just kinda annoying.

Was just kinda wonder what others felt about it :)

I guess being in the hardware forum kinda killed this thing. Should have put it in the effect section with automap and all.

some people hate them, apparently... I was thinking about getting one, but then picked up a Virus Indigo and have no room anymore...

To be honest, out of several controllers I demoed, I liked the feeling of the Impulse the best, with the SL MKII being a close second. I also changed my opinion on the Alesis QX61. The keys on that just felt "okay" but I decided I liked the keys on the Impulse.

My EMU Xboard 61 now has a dead upper F# key after about 6 years of dedicated service to me. So, I ordered an Impulse on the cheap about a week ago, but it is unfortunately on back order. I was slightly behind whoever nabbed the $290 61-key version off Amazon, haha! So I ordered one $320 from Sam Ash, which is still a pretty decent deal. :P

Double-unfortunately, I'll be leaving for NC for the holidays this weekend, and won't be back until the 30th.....if it gets delivered during that time....grrr.

I don't really plan to use automap with it. I mean, I'll probably give it a go on a few things, but If memory serves, Automap doesn't play nicely with Reaper sometimes? Not a huge deal to me.

As for the pads, I see them being useful, but not for drumming (I've got a Korg padKontrol for drumming, so I'm set there).

But yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to the arrival. The keys also seem to be a tad quieter than the keys on my Xboard which make a bit of a sound when releasing....not that I'm worried about the noise waking my wife or anything, hah!
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | YouTube | Blackjack Rose | Studio Gear List
Primary Instruments: Roland VR-730, Deepmind 12 | Other Instruments: Nord Lead 2X, Roland JD-Xi

Impulse would be the keyboard I buy if I needed a MIDI Keyboard.
I like that it has that neat arpeggiator with steps switchable via pads.

However, I have enough synths and keyboards anyway ;)

Yeah, I know the feeling. My small apartment room is quite cluttered right now.

Slightly older picture, but this is basically what it looks like right now. (just replace the bottom synth on the left with an NL2X, and then we're current heh)

I'm hoping I'll be able to squeeze the Impulse onto the desk. :P Should be enough room for it though.

I share this same room with my wife, whose desk is in the corner behind me. :P
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | YouTube | Blackjack Rose | Studio Gear List
Primary Instruments: Roland VR-730, Deepmind 12 | Other Instruments: Nord Lead 2X, Roland JD-Xi

I really like automap so far, but not for plug ins, just for the way it integrates with the hosts I've used. I haven't tried reaper yet.

I'll be curious to hear back about it if a couple of my gripes are consistent. So far, it's be mostly a pleasure to use.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”