Ableton 8.2 and multi-timbral plug-ins - Problem with MIDI channels

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys

It looks to me that Ableton Live has some sort of issue when sending MIDI data from an external controller (keyboard) to a multitimbral instrument (like Halion, Hypersonic or Miroslav Philharmonik).

No matter the midi channel i set on my keyboard to send data and no matter the midi channel I set on the track that has the multi-timbral plug-in to receive, the only instrument that will play is the one that is assign to the channel 1.

I attached a print-screen so you can understand exactly what I'm talking about. As you can see, I set my midi IN channel in Ableton to 11, i set my keyboard to send notes on channel 11, BUT Halion plays the instrument on channel 1, and not the instrument on channel 11. I could set the midi IN channel to "all channel" and I get the same results.
Why is that?

Thank you

Log on at Ableton and try a more up-to-date version than 8.2?

that's just how ableton works - it doesn't really support multitimbral instruments, and always rechannelizes the channel to channel 1.

you can do what you want with the 'external instrument' device though - drop it onto another track, set 'midi to' to the track with the multitimbral instrument on it, 'audio from' the right output on that track (if desired, not absolutely necessary but useful). you can group these tracks together once done if you want it to feel like a single track, but the data from the different channels actually goes to different tracks.

chroma wrote:that's just how ableton works - it doesn't really support multitimbral instruments, and always rechannelizes the channel to channel 1.
Thank you chroma

I was afraid this is how it works and the only solution would be a workaround like the one you suggested (with an "external instrument" device). :roll:

Cheers

External instruments works terrific. Kontakt and Omnisphere work swimmingly using this. I'll try and find the viddy that got me started.......

try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEut-jcfQzk

The key is to set up to use and save that group for every time you want to set up that way. Anyways, it works terrific.

Thanks for your help hibidy!

No prob

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”