Tracktion returning?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just wet myself. Again. and again.

If those quotes in OP are from the forum direct, that clearly says tracktion is not dead.. I am SO excited.

SO SO excited. Oh my.

How is it working on windows these days? I have a version 3 license in my mackie account.

Does it work on windows 7? Picked up an amazing deal today on a windows 7 laptop, was 600 bucks for a samsung including a 3 year warranty, get this, ivy bridge 2.3 quad i7.. so third gen..

it makes me laugh.. the mac laptop that i use and love for almost 2 years with less specs, was 2.7 grand.

same ram, similar graphics cards, but the samsung has better processor.. also 2 usb 3 ports AND 2 usb 2 which is great for audio interface compatibility, all in a 15" laptop. The only whinge is it's just the usual 1366x768 screen but for that money when they threw an extra 4 gig of ram for free and a 3 year *replacement* and dead pixel warranty, um, yeah, pretty much floored. Oh yes ofcourse, if i take the macbook aplecare into account it's a tad over 3 k. WOW.

Anyway... I detest using bootcamp and parallels. i want my mac to be logic and no bs on it. Just a nice neat machine...

So i have been pondering for some time to get a windows based lappy to run sound forge on (mac version is not even comparable), and do some video editing, as i detest FCP, but have always loved vegas.. so here was my opportunity.. retail stores are blowing out windows 7 models (this is home premium 64, absolutely all i need), not realising many pros will want windows 7 above anything for next couple of years.. this notebook would have been under cost, it would have had to be it was like 1200 a couple months back.

DPC is nice and low and everything is smooth. SSD have come way down and base is just one screw to access hdd and ram, to put a nice ssd in it, and it will literally be lightning. Better yet, take it to my imac upstairs and i have a gorgeous 27" screen to use it in when i absolutely MUST have more resolution...

SOrry for going so OT, but i really feel complete now, i can access tools like extra boy pro for example, which is like 30 dollars, instead of buying sonic worx isolate for 600 dollars LOL for mac, which is the cost of the notebook itself.. and sound forge WITH cd architect (not available on mac), which is IMO the best solution for mastering 2 track on the planet!

NOW of course occasionally i will want to tinker with performance tests and of course writing some music in tracktion and studio one, as S1 is usable on windows, in fact it works very well.

SO!!! please do let me know.. i know T is only 32 bits... But i am scared to install... is it safe? not like mac where it does no registry harm etc.. i am still scared with windows in certain ways... stuff leaves traces everywhere etc...

what's the general compatibility with plugins like? This is quite exciting for me to have an alternative to jam on, and may allow me to sell my mac notebook which typically hold excellent value, and use the windows one in bed. As i get better with my back which is progressively happening, i'll be able to start using that glorious imac that i bought before i was really sick that has sat there for like almost 2 years unused. No point in keeping the macbook if i do that.. best of both worlds really, my desktop mac for logic, and a windows lappy for tinkering.

So.. tracktion 7 windows.. yay or nay? :hihi:

(long winded i know lol)

LawrenceF wrote:
hibidy wrote:The only good news about that would be that I have enough hosts and don't need any others :hihi:
Wait a minute. :shrug: I saw a freeway billboard with your picture on it with the caption...

"Hosts are like condoms, you can never have too many!" :hihi:
Actually was a serious attempt at birth control "you may pop one out like that, maybe use a condom instead???"

TheoM wrote: If those quotes in OP are from the forum direct, that clearly says tracktion is not dead.. I am SO excited.
I copied and pasted the response from Jules, as I didn't want to put words in his mouth...

Tracktion on Win 7? I think a lot of guys are running it that way. I think there are some tricks employed to make it happen, but I'm still on WinXP here. T3 works ok for me, but it's beginning to dislike certain plugs, and I know the end is near...

Check out the Tracktion forum for more info on using it with Win 7.

I started using Reaper about a year ago. It's been a struggle, but I'm finally coming to grips with it. Still waiting to see what the new project is all about.

IIRC, the best way to have T3 running on W7 is to disable UAC. IMO you should be doing that anyways because either it was designed to make you wish it never existed or the folks at Redmond are even more clueless than I had thought. And I thought they were pretty damn clueless.

Windows 8, BTW, is a masterpiece in cleverly hiding every single useful thing that might exist in an operating system. I really must congratulate them. Need to do something really important right away? Make some swipey motions somewhere with something and hope for the best.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

More lolz! :lol: That's pretty good.

yeah, the UAC can be a pain.

"dave, I've been thinking dave......."

"Hal, just install the software please"

"sorry Dave, I can't do that"

"Hal, install the software please"

"There can be no point to this conversation Dave"

pough, classic. Nice to see you. :)

i am not planning on disabling UAC though.. can't things be told or something to run as administrator to get around it?

Please note i am extremely rusty with windows.. i was pretty much an expert with xp which was the last time i ever seriously used windows... Besides going on a friends machine here and there to access email on a windows machine, i have not used one for just under 5 *years*. No shit that's how long it's been. was early 2008 i went completely to mac..

so i really have no clue what i am doing, what these run as administrator things people have been talking about that apparently often fixes problems? for example...

I am a windows virgin starting all over again.

I don't really like it so much, tbh, other than it seems the audio performance is far superior to OSX at low latencies.. so far am only testing with studio one.

my 2.3 windows $600 laptop is 3 times as fast as my almost 3k mac laptop at just 100mhz less running studio one.

It's about 1:1 with logic. i.e studio one windows on my lappy is roughly equal to performance as LOGIC on my mac lappy. So logic really does overcome all the osx low latency bullshit.

in fact, it seems so far i can still get slightly morefx instances on logic.. have read from many people in the know that test daw's that S1 on win is roughly equivalent to cubase 6 performance on win.. but i am sure C7 will change all that with asio guard.

Anyway the point is here not to spend any money or as little as possible.. already have tracktion 3 and already have s1 (nfr as beta tester) so there is no need, besides trying to find sound forge at a great price, for me to buy any audio software for the windows machine at all. But perhaps of course a tracktion update when it comes out.

This is very exciting that Jules is taking his baby back, that's been the wish of tracktion users for as far as i can remember.

If and when this superb daw makes a comeback, and is updated to PROPERLY use multiple cores, 64, etc.. i doubt i would ever even feel the need to open anything else on windows.

Tracktion on Win, Logic on mac.. that's basically heaven to me.

oh and i can finally watch a blue ray in bed. thanks to the bd rom built in to the samsung.. YAY!!!

pough wrote:Need to do something really important right away? Make some swipey motions somewhere with something and hope for the best.
:hihi: :lol:

and it's true - dunno what demon I was possessed by when I upgraded... :oops:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Guys i am not getting this administrator thing...

I really don't like windows LOL.. now i remember...

should i just disable UAC? even if something is set as admin it still asks me on launch to verify...

I guess i need to do more research into this..

basically would love to know what settings most of you use.. win 7 HP 64

cheers,

T

TheoM wrote: should i just disable UAC? even if something is set as admin it still asks me on launch to verify...
If you generally know what you're doing, yes, disable uac because it's a pita imho :x First thing I did on Windows 7, never regretted. On Windows 8 it can't be completely disabled though :-o , but on Windows 7 you're fine, just be sure that you use anti-virus and a firewall for protection, especially if you are connected to the internet. The free downloadable Microsoft Security Essentials and the internal Windows firewall should do the job. With very low cpu usage. I use them on my DAW machine, which is connected to the internet, too.

I'm a MCSA certified Windows system engineer by the way fwiw :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Try enter for return issues?

Nielzie wrote:
TheoM wrote: should i just disable UAC? even if something is set as admin it still asks me on launch to verify...
If you generally know what you're doing, yes, disable uac because it's a pita imho :x First thing I did on Windows 7, never regretted. On Windows 8 it can't be completely disabled though :-o , but on Windows 7 you're fine, just be sure that you use anti-virus and a firewall for protection, especially if you are connected to the internet. The free downloadable Microsoft Security Essentials and the internal Windows firewall should do the job. With very low cpu usage. I use them on my DAW machine, which is connected to the internet, too.

I'm a MCSA certified Windows system engineer by the way fwiw :)
as usual, the machine came with bloatware norton and a whole heap of other crap.

I disabled UAC and the annoyance has gone thankfully.. it would be ok if i could say add studio one to the "UAC do not prompt list" but there doesn't seem to be such a list.

I'm overwhelmed by the performance of this $600 laptop sop far.. either i got a freak machine, or it's just that good a buy.

I always use ambience reverb as my initial benchmark.

Studio One 2.5, 32 bit (64 bit windows 7), asio 4 all with internal realtek crap, 64 sample buffer, 80 instances clean spread over 12 stereo audio tracks.

Logic on the mac, 32 bit (to avoid using logic bit bridge as ambience is 32 bit), 64 buffer (with small setting of internal which is logic's cheat buffer of 1024!) 48 instances, barely.

so this 2.3 ivy bridge with 5400 rpm internal drive, norton running, using a TRUE low as hell buffer, is getting 40% more power than a 2.2 sandy bridge mac, with 7200 rpm drive, same ram, no bloatware/anti virus, logic cheat buffer, known to be the most efficient program in the universe.. hmm!

if i match studio ones buffer to logic's internal buffer of 1024 it goes well over 100 instances, same at 512

FWIW studio one mac gets half of logic even at 1024 buffer.

Anyway, got an ssd today, going to pop that in, reinstall from scratch, no bloatware, have all the drivers downloaded yesterday, will put on MSE and use internal firewall.. should run fast as... brb

Forgot to ask, probably the wrong forum, but do people disable DEP these days or just leave it at default?

and should my host ie studio one be set to run as admin always? ie right click.properties.choose run this as an admin checkbox.. that one sticks permanent so i only have to do it once

TheoM wrote:Forgot to ask, probably the wrong forum, but do people disable DEP these days or just leave it at default?

and should my host ie studio one be set to run as admin always? ie right click.properties.choose run this as an admin checkbox.. that one sticks permanent so i only have to do it once
I would leave DEP enabled, as it only gives problems with old apps, and run hosts as admin always because there are plugins that need admin rights to access their data folders.

By the way, Norton has evolved a lot during the last years and right now is one of the most efficient and effective anti-viruses, I use it myself. Just add your different hosts installations folders to the real time exclusions list and you are good to go.

TheoM wrote:I'm overwhelmed by the performance of this $600 laptop sop far.. either i got a freak machine, or it's just that good a buy.
Do you mind if I ask what model Samsung this is, in the market for a laptop in that kind of price range.

Cheers.

hi Gary, it is a blowout model, the replacement is 1000$ with windows 8, the only difference is it's 100mhz faster and windows 8, the rest of specs identical.

the dpc latency with wifi even enabled never goes above 200, as in, not even half way of the green, but if i disable wifi, it hovers constantly solidly around 40-60us. Superb for an off the shelf laptop. this is with all the junk in the backround going.

Bear in mind no esata, but there are 2 usb 3 ports, and 2 usb 2 ports. Just grabbed myself a powered targus usb 3 hub which should allow good expandability.

Anyway its this one:

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/model ... -techspecs

the page is correct except for HDD which is 750GB

also there is auto switch graphics, intel HD4000 and radeon 7670

i got the guy to include an extra 4gb stick.. it's not samsung, it's amicro, but i memtested it for 8 hours and was flawless, the specs/cas/speed are all identical to teh included samsung 4gb.

Eventually if i start to use the machine seriously i'll buy 2x8gb sticks which are so inexpensive these days.

I am not enjoying winodws at all which reminds me why i went to mac, but the performance can not be denied. It is so true that mac sucks at audio performance.. especially at low latencies.. quite unbelievable that apple have never worked to improve this.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”