Wide clean saws

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'll load up a project tomorrow, i think it would be cool when people work together on one specific sound and - sometimes - you get very good results!

There must be some bit-crushing going on there, at the very least on the low end of it.

Gotta be honest here, I don't hear saws - I hear mostly mid/thin square waves.
Wide, mind you.. Not just simple fat chords either - little melodies moving high up, in the background.

CinningBao wrote:Gotta be honest here, I don't hear saws - I hear mostly mid/thin square waves.
Wide, mind you.. Not just simple fat chords either - little melodies moving high up, in the background.
Like i explained a few posts ago the hollow thin sound is because he's used a multiband haas-esque effect to give the artificial width.i'd personally say it was saws playing the the chords (they're chords with the fifth playing the motif) and the sub or however you want to describe it is a very thin pulsewidth like bass but all of them have the hollowing in the low mids from the multiband haas effect(possibly ozone).

TIMT
I

https://soundcloud.com/djazura/mord-try - Sound

http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/35014436/file.html - Picture

Here is my try and a screenshot of some settings, i didnt use a multiband compressor because its only one synth playing the chords atm. Today ill try to layer some copies and gel them together with a multiband afterwards, even if i dont know how to do it ;)
Ps: i forgot to add the stereo enhancer settings in my screenshot!
Last edited by PaulDassler on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

People, if you are not absolutely sure about compression, be wary with it.

Another way:

Make a sound from a single saw wave, with a bit of resonance and the cutoff closed just a bit.

Get a parametric EQ, and cut somewhere around 120-180hz a bit, and highpass with a 24db filter from around 100hz or below
Boost around 8000hz a LOT, I mean a LOT LOT (but take an EQ that does not clip too much, something with a smooth saturation), and if the sound starts to sound too harsh, cut generously around between 1000-2000hz.

Then run the whole thing through a saturator, Variety of Sound has some good free ones.
This will squash the dynamics for you, enabling to push up the volume in the mix.

Now probably you have very loud,hissing trebles, so either run the sound through a lowpass filter at somewhere around 16khz if it's 24db, lower if you use 12db (maybe with a dry/wet mix, play with the balance), or EQ down the highs to taste.

Now the sound does not have too much bass, so make a sub-bass sound from a single saw oscillator in the same synth than before with a good filter, and layer it with the previous sound, you might need to lowpass the highs and even mids away. But even with this sound, be ready to cut also the bass around 50-70hz, and boost around 120-140hz instead.
Try to keep the envelope settings on both tracks close to each other, this in general is good advice for multitracking a single lead/bass sound.

Now you should have a sound with some upper-low punch, and sharp upper end.

NOW you put some slight modulation effect after the first EQ, before the saturator, but keep it tame at least to begin with. Don't worry about stereo yet. (I find it easier to do the settings this way, since the overall balance in the spectrum is already in place)

Now when everything is done, just double track this into two tracks and pan them 90/10 and 10/90 left and right, and play with reverb.

You might also want to try to change the order of the plugins at this point just to see.

If that sounds too much work, I'll condense:
boost highs like shit, cut mids, boost upper bass frequencies, saturate, EQ to taste, stero-ize when everything else is done. Do the bass portion and mid/high portion of separate tracks, but preferably with the same synths with very close settings.

Thx Taika-Kim, ill try that! Anyone can recommend a good saturator plugin?

Like I mentioned, Variety of Sound makes good stuff. Also Camel Crusher with just a bit of tube saturation and careful setting of the compressor can work magic. http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/
You can start with Ferric TDS... But they are all worth downloading!

Sausage Fatener and CamelCrusher are your friend. Add some white noise to get a little bite on the high end.

Return to “Sound Design”