What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Feature Requests for Poise Drum Sampler

Official support for: onesmallclue.com

Moderator: very angry mobster

Spirith
KVRer

9 posts since 23 Feb, 2004, from Norway, Trondheim

Postby Spirith; Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 am

HI, I would like to get hotkeys for play-mode at active pad, so I can toggle between Note-On and One-Shot.
PS: I am making a highly sophisticated "template" for Ableton Live, having the Poise and Novation Launchpad as the centerpiece. With this template you might watch a full screen movie on your monitor while composing music from scratch. I will post a Youtube in the start of 2013, hence this might benefit one Small Clue.

Martin B.
very angry mobster
KVRian

1223 posts since 14 Dec, 2003, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby very angry mobster; Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Spirith wrote:HI, I would like to get hotkeys for play-mode at active pad, so I can toggle between Note-On and One-Shot.
PS: I am making a highly sophisticated "template" for Ableton Live, having the Poise and Novation Launchpad as the centerpiece. With this template you might watch a full screen movie on your monitor while composing music from scratch. I will post a Youtube in the start of 2013, hence this might benefit one Small Clue.

Martin B.

Hi Martin,

What would be a good hotkey combo for the command?

Shannon
Spirith
KVRer

9 posts since 23 Feb, 2004, from Norway, Trondheim

Postby Spirith; Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:05 am

HI, actually it does not matter, as I use this chain of event:
1. Hit a pad on a midi-controller
2. Translate midi to hotkey using "Bomes midi translator" (Ableton will receive the keystrokes when the Ableton-window is active (i.e. in use). If other windows are active (i.e. opera, firefox or whatever), I use "Autohotkey" to activate Ableton for some milliseconds in order to send the keystrokes.
--
Further possibilities about One small clue - Poise:
Poise might be presented as the sampler that is fully controllable when using a midi controller. In order to ensure this, it is absolutely perfect to be able to use hot-keys to trigger its functions, even better controlling its functions by midi massages directly (i.e. show browser, next sample on active pad etc.). If you would enable controlling the functions of Poise directly by midi, the benefits/capability of Poise would be presented stronger to a potential customer.
--
Some rant about my template:
At the moment I am exploring possibilities to utilize my Launchpad (and only this) to make music from scratch (by using an Ableton template). Some interesting findings I have come across are: Controlling Total recorder by using Autohotkey and Boomes miditranslator. Total Recorder lets you record what comes out of your speaker (i.e. youtbe). You can fully record, edit and save the recorded sound (with Total Recorder) by using a midi-controller "with my potential template". I am also exploring the possibility to use a "speech to text- software" in order to control YouTube with my voice...
---
Some other feature requests about Poise might come later on, as I have an Exam on Monday.
Martin B.
nym
KVRist

173 posts since 28 May, 2008, from san francisco

Postby nym; Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Further possibilities about One small clue - Poise:
Poise might be presented as the sampler that is fully controllable when using a midi controller. In order to ensure this, it is absolutely perfect to be able to use hot-keys to trigger its functions, even better controlling its functions by midi massages directly (i.e. show browser, next sample on active pad etc.). If you would enable controlling the functions of Poise directly by midi, the benefits/capability of Poise would be presented stronger to a potential customer.

yes please. with fine control of parameters, as well.
electronic instrumentalism, MIDI instrument design, and words.
very angry mobster
KVRian

Postby very angry mobster; Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:45 pm

I'm not sure how possible it would be, but what about using OSC to control Poise parameters?
nym
KVRist

Postby nym; Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:27 pm

yes. love it.

i'm about to buy the Quneo, which would be the perfect POISE controller.
nym
KVRist

Postby nym; Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:34 pm

very angry mobster wrote:I'm not sure how possible [midi cc fine control] would be, but what about using OSC to control Poise parameters?

ok. so instead of using CCs for fine control, what about this: "endless encoder" mode for fine tuning last touched parameter?

ie
CC x value 0 = fine tune single step -
CC x value 127 = fine tune single step +

this would simplify things greatly. you're only ever fine tuning one parameter at a time - this way, you could just tap a button a number of times, incrementally fine tuning it to where you want it to be.

remember, i'm the guy who uses a keyboard with his bare feet to hold SHIFT so i can simultaneously fine tune with shift+mouse while also previewing the pad with my left hand on the mpc :(
very angry mobster
KVRian

Postby very angry mobster; Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 pm

nym wrote:
very angry mobster wrote:I'm not sure how possible [midi cc fine control] would be, but what about using OSC to control Poise parameters?

ok. so instead of using CCs for fine control, what about this: "endless encoder" mode for fine tuning last touched parameter?

ie
CC x value 0 = fine tune single step -
CC x value 127 = fine tune single step +

Sure, that's doable. But it could be a lot of button pressing. There may be an alternative.

- Do you own a three button mouse? The middle button could be used to adjust knobs with fine control.

- Do you own anything with a rotary MIDI encoder on it? Or an ipad?
nym
KVRist

Postby nym; Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:56 pm

- Do you own a three button mouse? The middle button could be used to adjust knobs with fine control.

facepalm. that's a perfect idea.

- Do you own anything with a rotary MIDI encoder on it? Or an ipad?

just some arduino stuff i have functioning as a continuous encoder...and the quneo. seriously though, mousewheel is ideal.
very angry mobster
KVRian

Postby very angry mobster; Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:22 pm

nym wrote:

facepalm. that's a perfect idea.

Double facepalm. I could have thought of that when you told me about using your feet the first time! :)
very angry mobster
KVRian

Postby very angry mobster; Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:44 pm

@Nym: I just sent you an email.
stoolzo
KVRer

3 posts since 16 Jun, 2012

Postby stoolzo; Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:20 am

Hi, I absolutely love Poise because its a no nonsense easy to use drum tool, adding more complexity to this would spoil it in my opinion. However I think we really really really (is that too many?)need a basic eq section per pad, even if it is a basic 3 band affair it will make peoples lives much easier. At present if there is a frequency problem on one pad you have to faff about resampling it and then pushing it back, this takes minutes and breaks workflow, it would be nice just to be able to touch up or down some frequencies on each pad. Is this something you are planning for V2, please tell me it is :)
very angry mobster
KVRian

Postby very angry mobster; Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:38 am

Hey Stoolzo, an EQ per sample is definitely one feature I'd like to see in a V2. I agree it would be very useful. (I couldn't say when/if a version 2 will happen though unfortunately.)

Shannon
nym
KVRist

Postby nym; Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:31 am

hey shannon, thanks for the update - i've been busy as hell recently finishing up my album so i haven't had a chance to play with the beta...will soon....

but in the meantime, i'd like to recommend to the above poster recommending EQ...just create an output from poise to a new track in your DAW and use any number of high quality EQ vst plugins instead.

it'd be a shame to siphon valuable development time to reproducing features that are easily and abundantly available elsewhere. IMO improvements should be made to Poise's in-house functionality instead.
rinkasu
KVRer

1 post since 19 Dec, 2012, from Mount Kisco, New York, USA

Postby rinkasu; Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:47 am

Like others here, I've used more "sophisticated" tools that are long on sonic promises, but short on the workflow necessary to encourage experimentation. To eschew complexity and fancy UIs is a very bold statement in today's plugin market. Bravo!

I'm reluctant to burden Poise with features, especially when its simplicity is one of its most attractive traits. But with that said, I'll chime in with a few requests of my own:

More drum pads. 16 is a good default for most purposes. But there are times when I'd like to make a larger kit without setting up another Poise instance (e.g., when running the plugin standalone in a VST host). Being able to define a kit with 20, 24, or even 32 pads at a time would be useful to me. If the number of additional pads were saved with each drumkit, then the additional pads would only show when the drumkit creator called for them; otherwise, it would simply show the default 16.

No pad "banks," please. I'd prefer not to have "banks" of pads (as was suggested earlier in this thread). This necessitates an extra step in selection that would detract from the immediacy of having all the pads you've defined readily available on the display for editing and playback.

Pad colouration. I'd like to second someone's suggestion of being able to "highlight" or colour code pads arbitrarily. Being able to visually separate between (to use an arbitrary example:) my metallic clinks, acoustic samples, and noise splashes would be a nice organizational touch. The utility of this feature would become more useful if one were working with more than 16 pads.

Leave sampling out. I don't see much need to have built-in sampling functionality. There are already many audio recording tools available that do an excellent job of recording and working with audio samples. Keep Poise a performance/playback engine. The same goes for internal effects and sample editing and other DSP operations. With so many audio processing suites and plugin effects available, there's no need to add more than the basics in my opinion; having more would be largely redundant and I feel it would only burden the plugin with unnecessary sophistication. The CPU/disk overhead for this plugin is already *very* low, and I think it should stay that way (even though I have a fast computer with more memory and disk than I know what to do with). Any special filtering or enveloping I want (for example) that Poise doesn't offer can be rendered in another tool before loading it into Poise. The ease at which Poise lets you add/change/update samples makes the utility of "outboard" software especially easy to integrate into your workflow.

And that's all. Thank you kindly for your time!
PreviousNext

Moderator: very angry mobster

Return to One Small Clue