Can I still get Cubase 6.5 and does it work with Windows XP?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Had to get a refund on Cubase 7. Didn't realize it would work with Windows XP so
I was hoping to get the free Padshop that came with 6.5 but when you go to Steinberg it seems Cubase 7 is the only choice that I can see.

Alas, 6.5 is no longer available.
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

I am sure I read about people installing cubase 7 successfully on xp. You need to use the appropriate msi file and have some libraries from microsoft installed.

Search for it
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote:I am sure I read about people installing cubase 7 successfully on xp. You need to use the appropriate msi file and have some libraries from microsoft installed.

Search for it
That would be a couple of hundred dollar gamble for me. Got my refund when the installer said I didn't have the needed version of windows. Besides, If Cubase doesn't actually say it'll work for Windows XP, I don't want to risk my projects to some potential issues when I call the back up later if it did work.
But thanks for the input.

MickGael wrote:Alas, 6.5 is no longer available.
Thanks Mick!

It is, sort of. You can get Cubase 7 license and use C6 (or any other version) with that. You can download Cubase 6 at ftp.steinberg.net and maybe start using C7 if you decide to update your Windows at some point.
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

From member 'Krisp' on the Steinberg forum:

To install Cubase 7 on WinXP:

1: Run the main installer to unpack all packages.
2: Locate Cubase7.msi
3: Use the msiexec command to extract files: msiexec /a Cubase7.msi
4: Install other packages manually

hth

gravehill wrote:
It is, sort of. You can get Cubase 7 license and use C6 (or any other version) with that. You can download Cubase 6 at ftp.steinberg.net and maybe start using C7 if you decide to update your Windows at some point.
This!

Also there is one for sale right now in Cubase forums
http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 19&t=30995

as well as on e-bay, but the suggestion above is the best. Any Cubase licence can also run the previous versions.

petersmizzx wrote:From member 'Krisp' on the Steinberg forum:

To install Cubase 7 on WinXP:

1: Run the main installer to unpack all packages.
2: Locate Cubase7.msi
3: Use the msiexec command to extract files: msiexec /a Cubase7.msi
4: Install other packages manually

hth
I tried that in Windows XP SP 3 (32-bit) and it didn't work. I used the downloaded upgrade installer. So, I guess there's something more to check.
Fernando (FMR)

Do you have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or .NET Framework 4 installed?

standalone wrote:Do you have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or .NET Framework 4 installed?
I have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Actually, I think they were already needed for Cubase 6.5. The MSI launches, but it also has a checker, and "refuses" to install, displaying a message that says it detected an unsupported operating system.
Maybe the user that managed to install it under XP used some earlier installer. But I read a report telling that it was XP x64. Mine is 32-bit
Fernando (FMR)

Think I bought the last copy of the 4 to 6.5 upgrade available in the UK today.
Very expensive but at least I got it 8)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

dblock wrote:
Thanks Mick!
You can buy or make a case with a drive access door, and use different
sata drives to boot an extra OS or three. Secure the sata cables so you
don't have to fish for them. Gets around the windows install pratfalls.
Cheers

To answer the Q:
Cubase 6 and 6.5 works on XP. Though certain updates crapped on me (funnily, only on Win7 and not XP), so I had to extract the *.msi as well and install each package separately.

And I can also confirm the FTP thing. Get a C7 license, get an image of C6.x and continue using it on XP. Only if you want to shell out the funds however.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”