Piano sustain pedal info modification

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I am doing this process repeatedly:

1. Record a piano piece in several takes. (MIDI)
2. Fix some notes (pitch, length etc).
3. Paste the different takes together.
4. Mixdown.

In step 2, I would like to be able to adjust the sustain pedal information (?). How do you do it?

The problem that is taking a lot of useless time away is this:

When I put two different recorded sequences one after another, weird things happen.

-The last notes of the first sequence and the first notes of the second sequence become mixed, because the last notes of the first sequence are getting sustained for too long.
-Some or all of the notes in the second sequence sound as if I wasn't using the pedal. (no sustain)
-When I put the second sequence away from the first sequence, it sounds normal again.

So I want to adjust the pedal information for the last notes of the first sequence, instead keep trying to re-record the piece in one take.

I'm on MuLab 3.

Thank you for your help.

Oh, also:

When I move the position of a sequence, the position of the sustain pedal events move together.

But when I move the position of the notes within the sequence, the sustain pedal events related to those notes remain where they were, which results in weird sounding music (like, someone pressing the sustain pedal at random places).

Is this problem supposed to be solved manually? (editing in the list editor?)

Yes to edit sustain events you'll need to use the event list editor. As background info: This might change in a future version, there is an item on the wishlist to handle sustain On/Off events more like note events i.e. a single event with a length. But that's still to be R&Ded.

OK. Concerning my second post, I think it would be cool if the sustain pedal events were not independent from the notes they are supposed to sustain, when I move the position of the notes horizontally, in the key editor, within a sequence.

edit- ah nevermind, realized your reply answers both of my questions.

Sustain isn't associated with a note, it's a channel event. You can start sustain, sit around half an hour, play note, wait ten minutes, play and hold a note for three minutes, release sustain, wait 20 minutes, release the held note. The events are unrelated - it would be restrictive and unnatural to try to link them.

OK thanks.

Just to add: of course, if you move the entire part on the time line, all the events in the part move together. (I tend to work at the part level a lot, once I've got basic timing right.)

Return to “MUTOOLS”