Cubasis for iPad arrives...

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ayone tried the MIDI Guitar app with Cubasis? I'm assuming it'll work as both support Virtual MIDI but just wanting to know if anyone has had any experience with it.

[quote="bigcraigie_1"]Ayone tried the MIDI Guitar app with Cubasis? I'm assuming it'll work as both support Virtual MIDI but just wanting to know if anyone has had any experience with it.[/quote]

I am not sure since I haven't pulled the trigger on Cubasis test, but I have to say that the You Rock Guitar and IPad is a match made in heaven. It only costs around $120 but it is just amazing with all apps that support core midi. You should check it out. There are several YouTube videos showing it and I get lost for hours composing and jamming, especially with AudioBus!

I used to have a You Rock but found myself not using it after the novalty wore off. After tweaking it through the control panel the best I could, i still found myself getting a lot of ghost notes which I then had to edit out. TAP mode did work very well however for melodies.

I find it funny people arguing about 16 / 24 bit on a mobile device, the important facts are usability. Frequency range only matters when recording multiple instruments. Everything even most hardware is sample based.

When you add fx eq comp frequency will change, these companies dont tell you what bit depth the fx are.

What about the final mix compression did you test the output on multiple speaker systems.

You can teach a monkey how to play Beethoven, but the monkey will never be Beethoven.

mod4 wrote:
You can teach a monkey how to play Beethoven, but the monkey will never be Beethoven.
YouTube or it didn't happen...

mbncp wrote:It seems that exported midi files are type 0,so you loose the track name and channel assignement. Then each tracks get a channel number so I guess that you are limited to max 16 midi tracks.
Still much better than nothing.
Why would they use type 0 instead of type 1??
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

mod4 wrote:I find it funny people arguing about 16 / 24 bit on a mobile device, the important facts are usability. Frequency range only matters when recording multiple instruments. Everything even most hardware is sample based.

When you add fx eq comp frequency will change, these companies dont tell you what bit depth the fx are.

What about the final mix compression did you test the output on multiple speaker systems.

Bit rate refers to dynamic range, not frequencies. With a 24 but system you have much more range between loud and soft. While 24 but is undoubtedly better, you can make very good recordings on a 16 bit system as well. Lots more to sounding good than just bit rate. But, that being said, I prefer using 24 bit. I won't be getting cubasis only because I don't use cubasis, am invested in auria, and need very little midi functionality.

24 bit is the standardnow, but 16 bit doesn't make somethng a toy.

Wormhelmet wrote:I'm starting to wonder if I should grab all my collected older music processed at 16/44 and throw it in the toy bin for all the kids to play with.
Where did you find an audio production system that would let you process at a depth of just 16 bits? I've seen plenty that record or store at 16 bits, but all use higher depth for processing. Not even Cubasis for iPad processes at such low bitdepths. Were the EQ's and reverbs processing at 16bits too? How many releases did you make with that system? I'd love to hear some.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

olikana wrote:why don't they release this for windows 8 tablets with vst support???
They did. It's called Cubase.

Not sure if you're joking, but Windows 8 x86 tablets will run regular Cubase, VST's and all. Windows RT tablets won't likely ever get anything like Cubasis or Cubase, due to limitations of the OS.

mkdr wrote:
Wormhelmet wrote:I'm starting to wonder if I should grab all my collected older music processed at 16/44 and throw it in the toy bin for all the kids to play with.
Where did you find an audio production system that would let you process at a depth of just 16 bits? I've seen plenty that record or store at 16 bits, but all use higher depth for processing. Not even Cubasis for iPad processes at such low bitdepths. Were the EQ's and reverbs processing at 16bits too? How many releases did you make with that system? I'd love to hear some.
I would post some, but I only make my 16 bit processed recordings available to those that understand sarcasm. Now where did I put that xt system with the sx math coprocessor.........

But seriously, I don't think my SU700 sampler was processing my recordings of my guitar, mc303, ex-800, and quasimidi polymorph that I used to make my final productions at a very high bit depth that I stored on Zip disks. But you can check out soundclick and artist Wormhelmet to hear some of those. Just about 4 or 5 songs I put out using that system. Since you want to quote a snippet of sarcasm from my humorous post and make an argument of it, you can look up specs on the SU700's processing power. I wouldn't mind the hits on the song pages though, so please listen!
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote:
mkdr wrote:
I would post some, but I only make my 16 bit processed recordings available to those that understand sarcasm. Now where did I put that xt system with the sx math coprocessor.........
I guess the sarcasm gets lost if someone knows too much about dsp and mathematical methods behind it :oops:
My apologies. In the end we both agree on this subject anyway: the 16bit limitation in Cubasis is not a deal breaker. It can still be a useful tool :) Or a useful toy :wink:

Merry XMas!
www.mkdr.net

Most gracious and adeptly done sir! Merry Xmas to you as well. May we all enjoy our iOS music making in 2013 and beyond.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote:Most gracious and adeptly done sir! Merry Xmas to you as well. May we all enjoy our iOS music making in 2013 and beyond.
Indeed. Just got my new iPad4 a few hours ago. So cool playing around with this baby :)

Merry XMas again everyone! Have a good holiday :)
www.mkdr.net

Ok, so some things are great, but it's not the cubase sketchpad i was hoping for.

It's great for multi-track recording if you've got a UCX, but no crossfades or automation is letting it down.

I love the interface, the feel of navigating the sequencer is smooth, i even dont mind drawing in midi notes and changing lengths, i think this is pretty intuitive.

But without audio transpose or a sampler (no matter how basic) i just cant do anything.

I very much look forward to plugin support (though, if these cant be replicated when exported to cubase, then its still not perfect)

tom_autobot wrote:Ok, so some things are great, but it's not the cubase sketchpad i was hoping for.

It's great for multi-track recording if you've got a UCX, but no crossfades or automation is letting it down.

I love the interface, the feel of navigating the sequencer is smooth, i even dont mind drawing in midi notes and changing lengths, i think this is pretty intuitive.

But without audio transpose or a sampler (no matter how basic) i just cant do anything.

I very much look forward to plugin support (though, if these cant be replicated when exported to cubase, then its still not perfect)
the sampler is #1 setback for me. I can always paste in drum loops from beatmaker or mpc app, but it would be way better to do my drums within the app!
Audiobus would do for now, as i can record the drums directly to an audio track from another app that has better drums or a sampler.

I hope we get an update soon! I think i will be 90% able to finish a complete song once we get a few more sounds added and/or audiobus support. I may even purchase Cubase Artist for my main Macbook DAW if this works out so i can easily do final advanced mixing from imported Ipad songs.
The workflow on this app and the smooth, fast feel of navigation is great for me, and I much prefer working on Ipad than laptop.

We also need to be able to export tracks to individual wav files as well.

Tjhis is very exciting times for ios production, hopefully the near future will bring alot more features and enhancements!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”