Major Issues with the Yamaha THR range of amps

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All

I have a yamaha THR5a and am expecting a THR10c for xmas.
The problem I am having is to do with it's usb connection and cubase.

It seems to me that the only way to use this thing is to set your VST Audio device to "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO" instead of your usual soundcard.

The problem here is pretty obvious and one Yamaha didn't tell us all about.
When you are recording and playing back everything is played back through the amp with it's tiny speaker.
It is also very very quiet via usb.

It sucks big time.
It is not practical.
Why did I spend money on a good soundcard and a great pair of speakers to be forced to work like this?

I am so peed off you wouldn't believe it. I bought it on the strength of being able to connect via usb. I dont want these 2 amps any more and am really annoyed with Yamaha for omitting this in all their sales pitches.

Am i doing something wrong?

venerable bede wrote: It seems to me that the only way to use this thing is to set your VST Audio device to "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO" instead of your usual soundcard.

The problem here is pretty obvious and one Yamaha didn't tell us all about.
When you are recording and playing back everything is played back through the amp with it's tiny speaker.
It is also very very quiet via usb.
How is it Yamaha's fault? :?
With ASIO drivers, you always use the same device for input and output- that's in the definition. You can't blame them for that.

I can think of three solutions:

1) Use ASIO4ALL to create a aggregate device consisting of your normal soundcard and the Yamaha.
2) Record your guitar track and immediately bounce it to audio; then reopen the project and change your audio device.
3) Use the line out of the Yamaha (if it has one).

ew
A spectral heretic...

Yep, not Yamaha's fault.....just the nature of the beast. No different than any other guitar related USB device...like Vox Jamvox, Zoom ZFX ST2, Line6 Pod, NI Rig Kontrol, IK Stealthplug....etc.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Agree with ew and CapnLH on that one, If it doesn't state standalone operation then for guitar tracking your best bet is to probably use with the THR if it is the best sounding/feeling setup for your needs then run with it and does it not have a headphone out? If so then at least you could hook it up to your monitors with an adapter right? The second option is to try this here thingymajig: http://vidance.com/asiomulti/asiomulti.html - Gotta be worth a try if you are into those THRs right? Thirdly yeah I guess you could sell it and hope that Yamaha release them as standalone amp heads and combos with a line output for the modelled cabinet signal and that leaves them game for guys like me that still get the mic's out or utilize both, ATB and HTH :)

Dean

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”