What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

We have scales but why??

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

aciddose
KVRAF

8906 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:52 pm

There's yer problem.

Did you remember to hit record before doing the shouting?
codec_spurt
KVRAF

3429 posts since 20 Sep, 2005

Postby codec_spurt; Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:07 am

aciddose wrote:There's yer problem.

Did you remember to hit record before doing the shouting?

Did you remember to engage your brain, before speaking?
jancivil
KVRAF

9370 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Postby jancivil; Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Gillman wrote:
jancivil wrote:I'm a contemporary American, I don't require that baggage.

Do you read figured bass? Because there is a lot more in the common *practice* thingy than determining if a floaty vamp of two suspended chords is subsumed under the concept of tonal or not.

Just play the game. You will learn a lot in the process, musically and philosophically. Play the game, even if it seems cumbersome at some times, you will not regret it, you will be changed and you will change your music and the world once you've got it, that's the best advice I can tell you.
Yes, we were required to read figured bass in every harmony class I've had, all the part-writing exercises and tests used it. I'm actually thoroughly versed in it.

You are addressing an imaginary person with that advice. It has little to do with what I'd said, I was talking about the semantics. I see the point, 'tonal' uses 'tonality', but I take the word in a more contemporary, even street usage, if there is a 'tonic', center of gravity so to speak, I say 'tonal', which doesn't have to correct for youse.
JumpingJackFlash
KVRian

1142 posts since 10 Oct, 2004

Postby JumpingJackFlash; Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:42 pm

jancivil wrote:I see the point, 'tonal' uses 'tonality', but I take the word in a more contemporary, even street usage, if there is a 'tonic', center of gravity so to speak, I say 'tonal', which doesn't have to correct for youse.

Such an approach could be confusing for newbies though.
Modal music is not tonal (though admittedly you can get music which blurs the distinctions).
If you must lump them together, then a word I have often seen used is Centric, meaning it has a centre (like a tonic but not necessarily in a tonal sense).
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.
jancivil
KVRAF

9370 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Postby jancivil; Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:16 pm

sure you're right. but it's just a semantics thing isn't it. I was upset over the V-I hegemony and that strong an assertion you can't have *home* without it to a fault I think.
tapper mike
KVRAF

3601 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:11 pm

It's good to see you back Jan. I missed you.
allofdrab
KVRAF

1573 posts since 18 Aug, 2004, from Toronto

Postby allofdrab; Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:39 am

After reading this thread I feel like scaling something and jumping off.
drab
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Theory