Polyslax - Fat Lip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A moody little dish of Wurli and noodles.

Fat Lip

Also available at SoundCloud:

http://soundcloud.com/polyslax/fat-lip

Thanks to all who have a listen. :)
Image Image

Very nice Polyslax. Love the 'strained string' sounds in the mid-section in particular.

polyslax wrote:A moody little dish of Wurli and noodles.

Fat Lip

Also available at SoundCloud:

http://soundcloud.com/polyslax/fat-lip

Thanks to all who have a listen. :)
Brilliant topline and rhythm man :)

Why is it called fat lip?

classy stuff Matt. i love the easy groove and the noodling is top notch.

neil.

Cheers guys!
Jesse Gorter wrote:Why is it called fat lip?
No particular reason. I jot titles down all the time on a list. When I don't have a title in mind, I look to my list and choose one that appeals to me at that moment... that's what happened here.
Image Image

This is sort of slow, abstract funk. Much more accessible than your usual stuff. Gives me mind movies of driving somewhere dangerous. Getting ready to meet up with some shady characters. Wonderfully moody. On my third listen now.

The bass stays on the same chord throughout. I know it's not your style but I feel that varying it between two chords would create more of a sense of movement.
Did you hear that bass? It's so big and mean it practically jumped out of the speakers and punched me in the mouth. Love that sound but it does seem hot, on the edge of distortion at times.

FrantzM wrote:The bass stays on the same chord throughout. I know it's not your style but I feel that varying it between two chords would create more of a sense of movement.
There you go with that chord business again. ;) I guess I should say that I don't normally start out to make a track. I often start in sound design mode... then something hits, and I feel a track coming together. That's what happened here. I patched together a track from what I'd recorded. I always work with audio btw, as opposed to midi, so I render parts out immediately or skip midi altogether and just go straight to audio. For this piece I was working on a groove, and then I threw down some bass to give me a better feel for how the groove works. Then I got an idea for some Wurli and recorded that, then I wanted a lead... &etc.
FrantzM wrote:
Did you hear that bass? It's so big and mean it practically jumped out of the speakers and punched me in the mouth. Love that sound but it does seem hot, on the edge of distortion at times.
Devil-Loc Deluxe is kickin the bass part.

Thanks for the listen and comments!
Image Image

polyslax wrote: There you go with that chord business again. ;)
Chord changes? What was I thinking? :nutter: This ain't prog rock.

Forget it. I love this track. It's going on my MP3 player. Now I want a 30 minute version of it cause it's too short!
polyslax wrote: I guess I should say that I don't normally start out to make a track. I often start in sound design mode... then something hits, and I feel a track coming together. That's what happened here.
Spontaneity? I don't know how to do that. Perhaps I will put a plan together. On Thursday from 8:15pm-8:45pm, I will do something spontaneous. :)

FrantzM wrote:Chord changes? What was I thinking? :nutter: This ain't prog rock.

Forget it. I love this track. It's going on my MP3 player. Now I want a 30 minute version of it cause it's too short!
Thanks! I know basic chords on keys but that's about it, and my theory is sorely lacking, so I generally just wing it. With everything committed to audio my choices are usually even more limited, so I try to make it work.
FrantzM wrote:Spontaneity? I don't know how to do that. Perhaps I will put a plan together. On Thursday from 8:15pm-8:45pm, I will do something spontaneous. :)
:hihi: Oh, you're one of those organized people. ;)
Image Image

Very cool, moody, great sounds , well mixed. :clap:
Really enjoyed that.

polyslax wrote: Devil-Loc Deluxe is kickin the bass part.
No wonder that bass is so tough. Crush, Crunch, and Darkness!

polyslax wrote: I know basic chords on keys but that's about it, and my theory is sorely lacking, so I generally just wing it. With everything committed to audio my choices are usually even more limited, so I try to make it work.
Unless you're doing classical or jazz, you really don't need much theory. In rock, pop, EDM, etc., just knowing how to put a melody and chord progression together is probably all most people need. Since your sound design skills are so excellent, you can get by with less.
FrantzM wrote::hihi: Oh, you're one of those organized people. ;)
If you saw my office / music room, which is packed with clutter, you'd know I'm not organized. But if I'm working on a piece of music, I like to have a solid skeleton (riffs, chords, basic melody, rough lyrics) in place before I mess around with sound design. I have tried working on sound design first with disastrous results. A minute of cool sounds and no idea where to go with it. I work too slowly to go down dead ends like that.

Another tasty groove garnished with lovely piano and other assorted sonically delightful toppings. This track (and a few of your others) reminds me of some of John Martyn's great instrumental work from the '70s with that Thompson/Mattacks/Bundrick lineup. Going to the Zune later.

I usually have my titles sorted by halfway through the original recording, although I have been known to change my mind later.

Good work 8)

djgroovy wrote:Very cool, moody, great sounds , well mixed. :clap:
Really enjoyed that.
Been a while groovy, thanks for the comments!
FrantzM wrote:if I'm working on a piece of music, I like to have a solid skeleton (riffs, chords, basic melody, rough lyrics) in place before I mess around with sound design. I have tried working on sound design first with disastrous results. A minute of cool sounds and no idea where to go with it. I work too slowly to go down dead ends like that.
Interesting. I thrive on inspiration, improvisation and happy accidents.
seismic1 wrote:I usually have my titles sorted by halfway through the original recording, although I have been known to change my mind later.
Cheers Tim! I almost never have a working title. When it's done, something may come to me. If not, I consult my list for something I feel fits well. I have hundreds of titles in my list... always jotting things down either in the studio or on my phone if I'm out.
Image Image

polyslax wrote: I thrive on inspiration, improvisation and happy accidents.
So do I. Especially when I am creating a song skeleton which can develop quickly, sometimes in a haphazard way.

Once I have a solid skeleton in place then I methodically work on finishing the details with much less left to chance. Right now the MIDI for my current piece is 99% finalized and I am finishing the sound design.

FrantzM wrote:
polyslax wrote: I thrive on inspiration, improvisation and happy accidents.
So do I. Especially when I am creating a song skeleton which can develop quickly, sometimes in a haphazard way.

Once I have a solid skeleton in place then I methodically work on finishing the details with much less left to chance. Right now the MIDI for my current piece is 99% finalized and I am finishing the sound design.
Ok, gotcha, and I think that's how a lot of folks work. Inspiration on the front end creation. Perspiration on the back end details.
Image Image

Return to “Music Cafe”