Will there ever be a proper update for Rhino?

Official support for: bigtickaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First of all this is a great synth. Whenever I learn something new regarding synthesis I find myself going back to Rhino but...

I bought Rapture and demoed Zebra2 recently and they got such smooth envelopes and it was pleasure to work with them.
Contrary Rhino's evnvelopes are such a hassle to play with, more often than not i find myself fighting with this synth rather than programming something new.
One thing i really miss in Rhino is undo/redo functions as i think they are essential for such a complex synth.

So again, will there ever be a proper update for this beast? ;)
me

Interesting - what exactly is wrong with the envelopes compared to Zebra and Rapture ?

I've always had problems using the envelopes, it seems only every eight time or so they actually respond remotely to the way I expect them to (the rest of the time mostly nothing is changed no matter where I click or what I try to do with dragging or any other mouse movement after/while clicking) - so I've always had a look at the manual again but got none the wiser (I'll think I'm doing excactly what the manual tells me to but the envelopes just don't respond). Every time I get really frustrated and don't use Rhino again for months, have another go later on and it's the same old story.. I used to assume there was something wrong woth me, but all other well-equipped-envelope-wise-synths seem pretty intuitive to get some tweaking going... The envelopes of Rhino just don't make sense to me, even with the manual side-by-side (too bad as there's so much to love with this beast otherwise)..

Sorry I can't be very concrete here as I don't know excactly why they don't work for me while other synths mostly just do... This has been in Orion 8.5 - if that matters..

Also + one for undo (and + a half for redo.. :P ), the more levels of undo the better :)

..oh, and I never got sure about this, can you have the equivalent of a free running LFO in Rhino with some appropriate envelope setting?
Last edited by Gone soft on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well above post by V-Ger pretty much summed it up regarding Rhino's envelopes for me. They are just not intuitive enough and makes you fight with them.

For expample when i hit play on my daw and try to drag an envelope point in Rhino it just lags. And it's even hard to select an envelope point. I thought it might be because Rhino is hard on cpu, but it's difficult to drag an envelope point even when you have only one or two oscs engaged.
Generally envelopes respond better when you are not playing it but it's hard to program anything for me when you can't do it in real time.

And it really needs undo function. Sometimes you turn a wrong knob or mess arround with envelopes and you are not happy with it you have to start all over instead of undoing it.

Anyway great synth, but it has these niggling things that put me of programming it
me

Anyway, to answer the original question, there are things in the work but it would more likely be a different synth. Sort of Rhino with a modular approach, so unlimited number of oscs, envelopes, filters, ...

As for updates to the mighty Rhino 2, yes, I can make some, but nothing that would require a completely different UI. Undo / Redo... ah, why not....

Don't get me wrong, I think the UI of this synth is great. Overall i don't think you could do much to improve it, except improving things like clicking, draging envelope points etc. Undo/redo would be icing on the cake!

The reason I started this thread is because I checked Rhino's update history and there is not much going in the past year or so.

Best of luck with the new synth as well mate
me

gts wrote:Well above post by V-Ger pretty much summed it up regarding Rhino's envelopes for me. They are just not intuitive enough and makes you fight with them.

For expample when i hit play on my daw and try to drag an envelope point in Rhino it just lags. And it's even hard to select an envelope point. I thought it might be because Rhino is hard on cpu, but it's difficult to drag an envelope point even when you have only one or two oscs engaged.
Generally envelopes respond better when you are not playing it but it's hard to program anything for me when you can't do it in real time.
I've been checking out Rhino demo, interested, but am also put off by envelope lag.

Return to “Big Tick”