Swollen (ElectroProg - Seismic Elbow Lamentation - Now with Video)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

10 hours to record in July 2010, the December 2012 Edit/Remix/Master took 12 hours, and was beset by many technical problems (lost patches, updated synths etc.) I did get to use the beatrick firmware for Permut8.

EDIT:20200911 - removed mp3 link

on SoundCloud:-

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/swollen

and now, on video :!:

Many thanks to M.Brösel for the video :tu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHChUrwxnW8

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.2/Remixed in EnergyXT2.6
Texture 1.2
SynthMaster2.5
Cubix
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Amphetamine
Bass Maker 2
Permut8
EnergyXT Reverb
IK Classik Studio Reverb
FerricTDS
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

Happy New Year :)

DR - 10

EDIT:20200201

Remixed and mastered in 2019 - mainly EQ tweaks with some minor levelling changed, added Satin to the master bus, and mastered in T-Racks 5

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/swol ... ks5-master

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.2/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7/Mastered in T-Racks 5
Texture 1.2
SynthMaster2.7
Cubix
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Amphetamine
Bass Maker 2
Permut8
EnergyXT Reverb
IK Classik Studio Reverb
Satin
VC-670
Equal
Quad Comp
SaturatorX
Stealth Limiter

DR - 8
Last edited by seismic1 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Wonderful piece Tim, lots of great synth sound design and processing in there, love the busy basses too!
Image Image

Kicking off the New Year with another superb, seismic stunner. Wow! :love:

I'll give it another listen later and add some more comments. If I don't get ready for dinner now, my wife will shoot me. :smack:

polyslax wrote:Wonderful piece Tim, lots of great synth sound design and processing in there, love the busy basses too!
Thanks very much, Matt. Glad you liked it. All of the sounds were originally presets, but I had to make o lot of changes for various reasons. There is a lot of frequency overlap on here, so I had to be careful, especially with the 3 basslines running in parallel at the end. I think I got away with it :)

FrantzM wrote:Kicking off the New Year with another superb, seismic stunner. Wow! :love:

I'll give it another listen later and add some more comments. If I don't get ready for dinner now, my wife will shoot me. :smack:
Thanks for listening and commenting FrantzM. Glad you liked it :)

Happy New Year

this sounds quite original, particularly harmonically (as opposed to the rhythm bits, which are solid). it's at once mentally engaging and having a pulsing rhythm section.

if you haven't already, maybe give the one synth contest (OSC) in the instruments forum a go.

Wow! Great piece ,Tim. Love the very subtle glitches. More please :D

mrblitz wrote:this sounds quite original, particularly harmonically (as opposed to the rhythm bits, which are solid). it's at once mentally engaging and having a pulsing rhythm section.

if you haven't already, maybe give the one synth contest (OSC) in the instruments forum a go.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, mrblitz. Glad you liked it :)

I thought about OSC, but never seem to have time. I have so many little projects on the go, and work commitments too, so deadlines can be extremely difficult to manage :(

Having said that, I have made 4 or 5 tracks which would probably satisfy the rules, but not during the required timeframe.

lovely piece of music Tim. if i was able to drive i imagine this would be perfect for late night excursions. splendid :)

neil.

abstractcats wrote:Wow! Great piece ,Tim. Love the very subtle glitches. More please :D

Cheers, Scott. Thanks for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it :)

A Happy New Year to you too :)

Just listened again. This is a fantastic piece with lots of interesting developments. It all flows beautifully with not a single dull moment. The composition, mix, and sound design are all first rate.
seismic1 wrote:There is a lot of frequency overlap on here, so I had to be careful, especially with the 3 basslines running in parallel at the end.
Oh, I was wondering why you were using all of that sub-bass at some points. Three basslines is a pretty wild idea especially for a guy who was shy about using bass on Gates of Distraction.

It occurred to me, given all of the staccato parts, a flowing string line with long sustained notes would have made a nice contrast. Perhaps something to think about for the next one.

Great job on this. Happy New Year!

macmurphy wrote:lovely piece of music Tim. if i was able to drive i imagine this would be perfect for late night excursions. splendid :)

neil.
Thanks for listening and commenting, Neil. Glad you liked this :)

Late night journeys along the M23 in the pouring rain with the wipers going hell-for-leather, accompanied by oncoming headlights and the road-works. That's the way it's been lately.

One of your best for sure. This would work well in an arcade racing game. That's the first thing that came to mind when I listened to it. Pretty much the same theme carries all the way through, but you somehow managed to keep it interesting.

I don't really do or listen to electronic music, but this makes me feel like looking into it more.

Typing as I listen - for me this really picks up after the first minute. Some delicious sounds interleaved. Nice drop around 3:00. I get the feeling it sort of levels off a bit from about 4:40 onwards, but still very enjoyable.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

FrantzM wrote:Just listened again. This is a fantastic piece with lots of interesting developments. It all flows beautifully with not a single dull moment. The composition, mix, and sound design are all first rate.
seismic1 wrote:There is a lot of frequency overlap on here, so I had to be careful, especially with the 3 basslines running in parallel at the end.
Oh, I was wondering why you were using all of that sub-bass at some points. Three basslines is a pretty wild idea especially for a guy who was shy about using bass on Gates of Distraction.

It occurred to me, given all of the staccato parts, a flowing string line with long sustained notes would have made a nice contrast. Perhaps something to think about for the next one.

Great job on this. Happy New Year!
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, FrantzM. Glad you liked it :)

That's funny about the bass comments. When I started remixing this a couple of weeks ago I thought "I'll show that FrantzM some bass" :) Seriously, I don't usually load up my tracks with a lot of bass, but with this one I just felt that the vibe of the track would suit it, and I was thinking about those earlier comments, so I went ahead and voilà.

I decided to leave the higher frequencies off here (until the introduction of that amphetamine pad late in the track) as I thought it gave the track a slighly anaesthetising feel, mirroring what was going on in real life at the time when the track was originally written (my elbow was the size of a tennis ball).

I think I have some strings on the next track, Critical Mass, but flowing is probably not a suitable descriptor.

Happy New Year

Return to “Music Cafe”