It feels good to be a "real musician"

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not calling myself an expert - now pro. Infact if you listened to me, I sound like complete rubbish, thank goodness all my playing is in the confines of my own room.
But, playing a real instrument feels great! I just picked up the guitar - using a 1970 Gibson Les Paul - I can feel the legacy behind each fret and it feels great!

I've played instruments in the past and all have since left me due to various reasons (Bassoon, Bass Guitar - briefly, Drums, and Cello)
But it has been years since I played a live instrument, and I just wanted to say how great it feels. That is all.

(just bought a new strap for it today to adding the first piece of my legacy to it)

Bee-Berp, that does not compute, your post exceeded the 4x4 parameters, Bee-Berp

:wheee:

congrats... the feeling to be "free" is wonderful... having 'only' the strings attached. :)

It does feel great though, doesn't it? I've always been a live instrument player primarily and even if I just sit any play around with something on the keyboard I often do it with a piano sound of some sort.

Yeah, sometimes it's a good thing to just jam on the guitar with no computer or other technical stuff in sight :)

One day I really want to get a cheap digi piano to have something to play on without having to use the computer.
I'm not really good at writing stuff on the guitar, so a cheap "standalone" piano thingy would be great since I'm much more comfortable with it.

That said, I don't feel less like a musician when I'm designing sounds or pushing modules in Reaktor/Pure Data around.

Cheers
Dennis

congrats on your guitar, but i think you must be certified by the theory forum gods before you can call yourself a musician. there may even be a test. :shrug:

Have fun! :)

ntom wrote:I'm not calling myself an expert - now pro. Infact if you listened to me, I sound like complete rubbish, thank goodness all my playing is in the confines of my own room.
But, playing a real instrument feels great! I just picked up the guitar - using a 1970 Gibson Les Paul - I can feel the legacy behind each fret and it feels great!

I've played instruments in the past and all have since left me due to various reasons (Bassoon, Bass Guitar - briefly, Drums, and Cello)
But it has been years since I played a live instrument, and I just wanted to say how great it feels. That is all.

(just bought a new strap for it today to adding the first piece of my legacy to it)

Morpheus: How did I beat you?
Neo: You... you're too fast.
Morpheus: Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

I certify ntom worthy.

Don't let theory get in the way of having fun.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

debra1rlo wrote:congrats on your guitar, but i think you must be certified by the theory forum gods before you can call yourself a musician. there may even be a test. :shrug:
:hihi:

As if supposed "wisdom" from a sci-fi movie can touch anything that might be music . . .

Lovely little thread with the OP's observation about a guitar. Sadly, it also made me think of friends of many years who dropped out because of family, jobs, responsibilities overwhelming their lives . . . and the guitar still in the corner of the living room, collecting dust behind a chair.

But enough sad stuff, recently I've heard from a few who have returned to their instruments in just the last year or two. Some have had it with enough of everything else clogging up their lives.

I'm posting a bit of the flip side. I began using DAWs on my own about three years ago, after my latest studio deal turned dodgy and more of the bottom was falling out of the industry. It wasn't a week into self-recording that I came face to face with things to do with MIDI -- things I'd tried hard as mainly a guitarist to ignore for a long time.

This all led to a rediscovery of synths -- more accurately softsynths now, and I've been loving every minute of it. I hadn't played any keyboards in perhaps 20 years, but it came back pretty quickly. All of these (to me) new sounds have me going at it for hours a day. I haven't put down the guitar -- in fact, I've brought that into MIDI some too. Right now, all of these VSTi synths are every bit as real to me as instruments as all the time spent with strings and frets.

Oh, someone say "theory"? Uh, huh, knowledge of theory can open up some directions ans possibilities you might never have though up before. It has its other benefits, of course, or no one would bother much with it.

Better than theory, in the end, is "fact". Fact is, if it sounds good, it is good. If it sounds right, it probably is right. The best musicians have always broken the so-called 'rules of music theory' whenever they thought best. And all the theory teachers, historians and OCD musicians have always scrambled along behind them updating the rules.

Usually first attributed to Duke Ellington, something so true isn't confined to who said it first: "There are only two kinds of music -- Good and Bad."

Thanks everyone :)
I love my computer music, I really do, but I wanted guitar (and vocals, but that's a different story) in my music for a long time now. I have tried collaborating with people, all of which end in failure and so I decided "if you want it done right, do it your self" and had been TRYING to pick up the guitar and get taught by my father who has been playing for a long time now. Unfortunately he - just like all the other collaborators - fell through.

In a recent post that resurfaced it brought my attention to a video game called Rocksmith - I'm not going to go into how it works or what it does, because that was all mentioned in that topic and you can easily google the info. But it is definately a good teaching AID for guitar as it covers most of the technique and structure to the guitar. I'm still early into it, but so far there has been little mention of the actual notation and theory which is why I only call it an aid.
Upon getting the game and my dad seeing I was serious about learning he lent me his Gibson (he also has a Cadillac acoustic, a strat, and a bunch of other guitars that are really worth something - so it was a hard choice for him which he was going to have to give up for awhile)
anyways, hopefully within time I'll be able to play well enough that I can incorporate the guitar into my music - that is the whole plan here.

Strange, I have the same experience. Also I wanted guitar (and other "live" instruments) so I asked friends if they wanted to collaborate. Some were positive so I bought the necessary equipment to make my studio mobile. Sadly, when it was time for recording it turned out that people didn't want to/couldn't help me after all.

I bought an electric guitar about a month before xmas and have been practicing a lot. I'm far from ready to use it in my music but hopefully I will get there 8) My goal is to play good enough so I can record and loop parts at least.

i've also been thinking of getting some guitar into my music recently. i started playing when i was ten but over the past few years i have to admit i've neglected it, to the point of ending up with just a cheap squire tele :cry:

robojam wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:congrats on your guitar, but i think you must be certified by the theory forum gods before you can call yourself a musician. there may even be a test. :shrug:
:D :D
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”