Simulating first note bug

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,
just clarifying something on the t3 buglist, has anybody been able to repeatedly reproduce the first note bug? I'm not clear on how this is done.
I've tried on my machine, but can't make it glitch.
Cheers-
m

I'd also be keen to hear any answers to this!

jules wrote:I'd also be keen to hear any answers to this!
Come on people, you heard the man! :D .

I have never experienced this bug by the way.
Buy Darling Sister's new album "Rise and fall" now! Just send a pm or an email. Visit our myspace page on www.myspace.com/darlingsister for songsamples.

MelodyMan wrote:I have never experienced this bug by the way.
Me neither, despite its legendary status, it's definitely one of the more cryptozoological bugs!

I did experience it, but the machine that I ran T on is long gone. I do have T installed on an old G4, but I can't remember having had the bug on that machine.

To quote from eons ago...
Drop_fix is just a cc filter. It filters out the "all notes offf" and "senstenuto" at the start of playback and sends it when you stop the transport.
that was one issue (<--edited) with VSTs and the first note getting dropped.. some VSTs could handle this and other could not, resulting in losing the first note on some and not others. The second issue revolved around rewire dropping the first note when the transport is played. That particular one seemed to be a different issue but resulted in a similar bug.
Last edited by ModuLR on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ModuLR / Radio

I've never gotten this bug in normal usage, but I just took a few minutes to try to recreate it, and had no problems doing so.

If the first note is short, it causes this problem. Increasing the tempo allowed longer notes to cause the problem. Using T3 and it's built-in sampler, first notes of less than about 54 ticks (at tempo=60) would cause the problem. Longer than 54 ticks played ok. Doubling the tempo allowed notes twice as long to cause the issue.
Also, it would appear that Loop must be turned on for this to occur.
edit:I used 256 sample buffers for these tests.

Here's a simple T3 archive that exhibits the issue pretty clearly:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1725539/first% ... 01.trkarch

Simple "C" scale using a short sine wave sample and T's own sampler.
Track 1 exhibits the problem. Track 2 does not.

edit: I should have mentioned that the first note must occur on the very first beat as well. (edit: this is incorrect, see my post below.)
Also, I'm using T3 3048 on WinXP SP3. Just imported the archive to my other T3 machine and it performed exactly like the one the file was created on.
Last edited by bk on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

I just tried the above archive with Synth 1, and it performed exactly the same as T3's sampler. Also, the first note does not have to be exactly on the first beat. It just has to end before the critical 54 tick mark (at tempo=60) to be skipped. Any note that extends beyond that 54 tick mark will be played.

Good Luck!

Ah, bughunting in Tracktion. Feels like good old times :love: .
Buy Darling Sister's new album "Rise and fall" now! Just send a pm or an email. Visit our myspace page on www.myspace.com/darlingsister for songsamples.

Well, it's been nearly an hour...is it fixed, yet? :hihi: :P

Just noticed that everyone posting in this thread except the OP has a 4 digit KVR member number...bunch of old timer's in the house!

I think Matt's been around a lot longer than his number would indicate as well. Yes?

bk wrote:I just tried the above archive with Synth 1, and it performed exactly the same as T3's sampler. Also, the first note does not have to be exactly on the first beat. It just has to end before the critical 54 tick mark (at tempo=60) to be skipped. Any note that extends beyond that 54 tick mark will be played.

Good Luck!
There other factors when talking about starting a clip at the beginning of the timeline. For example, if you're audio latency is set too high.. it' will skip the note on both clips. If it's low enough, it will only skip the first.
ModuLR / Radio

ModuLR wrote:
There other factors when talking about starting a clip at the beginning of the timeline. For example, if you're audio latency is set too high.. it' will skip the note on both clips. If it's low enough, it will only skip the first.
Interesting. I had not thought of buffer size effecting this. Can't try this right now, but will.

I tried in my windows 7 PC at 1024 samples rate, 44.1 Khz, internal audio card and the second example have to go to 75 note length to be heard
Se non é vero, é ben trovato
PC/XP 2CoreIntel T3 OnixSatellite

1. Record a MIDI clip with a note held a measure or so
2. Record another track beneath it starting at the beginning
3. Notice the first track midi not playing.

mr wrote:I tried in my windows 7 PC at 1024 samples rate, 44.1 Khz, internal audio card and the second example have to go to 75 note length to be heard
Yes. I tried again, and at 1024 buffer, I get the same result that you did. It moves the critical point to 75. My original results were done at 256 buffer, which is what I normally run. Bigger buffers do seem to make it worse, though I still had dropped notes running at 64 samples. The notes had to be shorter to cause it was the only difference.

Return to “Tracktion”