SonicBirth v2 alpha

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

makira wrote:
Kewl wrote:Ha! Now I think I get it. What you initially called the "length property" is a buffer. So, then, it's value can't be 0, right? I set the buffer to the max length that I need and then I control the delay with the dl input, from 0 to the max length set in the property, right?
Yes. The only catch is that the length property is currently in seconds, while the input port of the element is in samples. I'll add a way to specify the length property in samples, so everyone's happy.

I should really start a manual...
It's clear now, thanks.

New build:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zb8qn1gosrgf99 ... 3.zip?dl=1

Changes:
- Colored wires: black is dead/inactive, red is live/active, and yellow is a feedback wire that add one sample of delay.
- The z-1 element does not have anything to do anymore with feedback, but is still there for when you want a delay of exactly one sample (eg filters).
- This update therefore breaks the sound of plugins using z-1 elements for feedback, since they will now end up with 2 samples of delay instead of one. Remove the z-1 element where appropriate.
- Added a first_sample element, which outputs its first input on the first sample, then its second input the rest of the time. It was needed for the smoother module so it does not restart from 0 after a plugin reset.
- Wire anchors: click to set/move, double-click to delete.

I have still some cleanup to do before adding new features... things are going slow, but tht is better than not advancing at all.

Cheers,
makira

Thanks!

I love this whole project pretty much (having been a paying user in the old times)... nice to see it is alive.
thank you!

:)

New build:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/cqioqpffvfdn9s ... 3.zip?dl=1

Added 2 parameter types: indexed and switch.
Also fixed a bug with vst where plugins might not work before suspending/resuming them.

Cheers,
makira

makira wrote:Added 2 parameter types: indexed and switch.
Yes! Thanks!

Hello,

First of all, thank you a lot for this brand new version of SonicBirth!
I have already tested and enjoyed the alpha release during many hours.

As for core features robustness, here are my first reported issues:

In Reaper host:
- AU export is recognized and works well
- VST export is not recognized

In Audio Hijack Pro:
- AU export in not recognized
- VST export is recognized but does not work (no FX applied to the sound)

A feature that becomes highly important for further testing, in my opinion, is the ability to copy/paste circuit.

Thanks again!

Hi!
Thank you for your new Sonicbirth!
I am trying it.
There are not so many elements , but it seems to have the potential to make goodies.

I tried building the envelope follower(used to be in SB1.3) for my excise.
that's it.
http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=1800

I decided to make it because I often used it for making compressors usw in SB1.3 and there is none in SB2.

I had no idea to make that , but I could get the point by watching the internal circuit of the smoother.
It seems to run well on my macbook.

Is it right?Has good algorithm?

Thanks.

makira wrote:- Colored wires: black is dead/inactive, red is live/active, and yellow is a feedback wire that add one sample of delay.
I opened a SB2 file today (after a month and half) and without remembering the convention, I thought there was something wrong with my patch as all the wires were red.

Maybe something more "natural" like the green/red convention or even the inverse of the actual (black=good / red=problem) would be better?

Paulo164 wrote:As for core features robustness, here are my first reported issues:
(...)
I'll have to look into that.
Paulo164 wrote:A feature that becomes highly important for further testing, in my opinion, is the ability to copy/paste circuit.
Good idea.
Kewl wrote:I opened a SB2 file today (after a month and half) and without remembering the convention, I thought there was something wrong with my patch as all the wires were red.
Agreed, changed to black for active, grey for inactive, and left yellow for feedback wires.
tatsf wrote:I tried building the envelope follower(used to be in SB1.3) for my excise.
that's it.
Thanks! Makes me realize I need to add an Absolute element. Also, I haven't analyzed everything, but I think the circuit might be a big more complex than needed. I'll try to give it a go once I have some time.

In any case, thanks all for the feedback. Here's a new build with basic copy/paste and wire colors change:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ezl57yfb24qj76 ... 3.zip?dl=1

Cheers,
makira

makira wrote:In any case, thanks all for the feedback. Here's a new build with basic copy/paste and wire colors change
Thanks!

makira wrote: Thanks! Makes me realize I need to add an Absolute element. Also, I haven't analyzed everything, but I think the circuit might be a big more complex than needed. I'll try to give it a go once I have some time.

makira
Thanks for you reply and new SB2a.

Yes,as for me , the abs,sign(exists as abssign in SB1.3) or env-follower element makes things simpler and easier to build a sort of analog VCA-like circuit.
They are very useful.

Abs acts like diode, env-follower also acts like condenser and resister.
And sign makes it simpler(into one equation) to modulate audio signals(have both positive/negative values) from an RMS-like circuit(outputs positive values only).

And,I have one future request.

I do square,sum,sqrt,then div-by-sqrtN very often. N=2 for stereo, N=5 for 5.1 usw.
So I think if there were light(optimized) RMS element,it would be very useful in practice.

How do you think?

Thanks.

Thank you for this update.
I like very much the new wire coloring.
Indeed, the copy/paste feature is just a big relief to design circuit much faster...

By the way, I wonder if a circuit copied/pasted many times with just different values of inputs feeding them should not be seen as many instances of one "class".
A class being in fact a "circuit". I don't know if this could be of any interest from a code/compilation/performance point of view.

So, instead of a simple copy/paste functionnality, we would have:
- copy/paste as new circuit (ie. editable)
- copy/paste as alias (ie. not editable)

Or, to go a step further, we should have a special screen view to design "circuit classes" allowing to "save circuit as new class..." (in fact, this special view would be almost the same as the main view).
Them, inside the main design view (the one we know today), we could "call" a circuit (class) as new object and insert it somewhere. As a consequence, modifications on each cloned circuit should be done only in the "circuit class" view and automatically applied over each circuit instance placed in the main view.

The main application could have the following appearance:
  • - 1 project containing:
    • - 1 main design window (the one with classical stereo I/O)
      - N circuit design windows (possible to open several)
      - in each circuit window, possibility to:
      • - save circuit as... (new class)
        - save circuit (update class)
        - import circuit... (add one instance)
Sorry to bother you with ideas a bit out of focus but I think you already may not be so far from this, right now. And the logic sounds quite good to me :P

Finally: As for simple and useful functions to be added, I vote for x -> 1/x

Thank again for the great work!
Best regards.

Hmm... albeit this solution may lead to recursivity issues if a user defines a circuit A calling a circuit B calling circuit A (and so on...).
:?

hmm, is this alpha supposed to work under osx 10.5.8 on a intel core duo mac too?
because all alpha versions i've seen here do not work.. :(
or what i'm doing wrong? download, expand, start.. and?
if it's red, reduce gain and use your brain

Return to “SonicBirth”