Win-to-OSX VST wrapper/adapter

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My edited version is hard coded also for paths. if I get some time I will update the source to get this information from a runtime config file then happy to share, but not sure when I will have time to do that. Anyway, so far I found it didn't really work very well.

Too bad after all this time wacvst couldn't be improved by anyone out there so I decided myself to ditch the post on my blog with its detailed setup.

Indeed Wineskin is our best bet at the moment especially now that doh123 released the W9WineCX12.0.0 Engine with the experimental Mac Driver for graphics included.

Plugwire was born, my Wineskin setup you need for Win VST plugins on Mac. Check it out on my blog. Cheers!
Last edited by enennu on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

its interesting that you chose to use Audioport to send audio over ethernet, but you will get lower latency and for free, by using JackOSX and JackWasio instead. Install JackWasio into the wineskin and then any ASIO windows app will send very low latency audio to any other OSX app using JackOSX.

Is the good old JackWASIO still in development? I've tested it long before AudioPort.

Is it compatible with doh123's WS9WineCX11.2.0 engine I'm using at the moment and more importantly will it be compatible with the new crossover engines doh123 is starting to release which will include the mac driver?

Can you SEND audio from your DAW to the setup you're describing or you would actually need Wormhole for that? Does it support multiple channels? My setup supports 16 stereo channels for loading Win VST effects.

I'd appreciate if you could elaborate a bit. But if you don't have positive answers you'll understand why I came up with a different setup. Cheers!

No its not still under development, but the source is available for anyone that wants to continue developing it.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with all the versions of wine.

Yes it supports audio in

No I believe it does not support more than two channels of audio. from looking at the source, I think this may simply be a small coding error in the code, but I haven't had time to pursue that.

It is way less complicated to setup and use then the solution you proposed, but if you need more than two channels of audio simulanteously, then perhaps will not work for you.

Dewdman42 wrote:Yes it supports audio in
Dewdman42 wrote:No I believe it does not support more than two channels of audio
That's very unfortunate. However, care to share the details in regards to how would you send from your DAW to this setup multiple tracks simultaneously for processing?
Dewdman42 wrote:It is way less complicated to setup and use then the solution you proposed
Again, I'd really appreciate if you could elaborate a little in support of your statements, even better maybe a tutorial and/or a Wineskin bundle you put together?

Did you actually give plugwire a try?
Last edited by enennu on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm on vacation at the moment and can't try it but I will. I think I posted a link earlier on this thread with a link to a wineskin I made. It has Reaper, jackwasio and jamstix installed without license. You can use reaper without the license and just ignore jamstix. Put any vst plugs u want into c:\Program Files\VstPlugins\ and run reaper to host them, make sure jack osx is running and choose asio audio driver in reaper, it should be pretty self explanatory. Might have been a different Kvr thread, I can't search at the moment from my phone.

U can install a different vst host into the wineskin if you want but I found reaper to work really well.

My wineskin included some kind of read me I think. It was setup for jamstix users but it can be used easily with any vst plugins

Basically when Jackosx is running your daw will see jack audio ports that u can send and receive from. Jackwasio is a virtual asio driver inside windows that sends the low latency audio directly to Jackosx and hence to the daw. It bypasses a bunch of stuff like wine layers.

One of these days I may try to improve jackwasio myself to support multitrackas well as sync and an asio control panel but I don't know when I will have time and It actually works fine this way for hosting a single plugin at a time.

Dewdman42 wrote:One of these days I may try to improve jackwasio myself
Good luck!
Last edited by enennu on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here is my wineskin:

http://www.rayzoontech.com/stuff/JamstixWine.dmg

Here is a thread where jackwasio is discussed more:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

Dewdman42 wrote:Here is my wineskin
OK, judging by the included tutorial I have to agree, your wineskin is definitely "way less complicated to setup and use". Especially in what is set to accomplish. Any feedback in setting it up from users?

On a more serious note, cheers for reminding me why I gave up aeons ago on JackWASIO in the first place. I really hoped it would work the way I needed but unfortunately it failed.

As you failed to try the setup I'm describing before making any assumptions or dare I say statements. Which lead you to totally miss the point of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Regards
Last edited by enennu on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whoa relax dude I wasn't meaning to attack you and it's not a competition. I did not fail to do anything. Just sharing ideas here

Sharing is one thing, being opinionated about something you didn't bother to try is quite another story.

This debate ends now, or the competition you are referring to. Good luck in your endeavors
Last edited by enennu on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

I wasn't trying to debate with you and if you read my earlier post more carefully you will see that I plan to try your wineskin as soon as I get home from vacation

Hi everyone, I'm new here... I discovered this thread yesterday...

I DID manage to get wacvst working (and tested) in Live 8 aok. I'm running SL 10.6.8 on a macbook pro…

QUESTION THOUGH:
---- Any of the freeware stuff that consists of just a dll works fine. Live see's it, tested and working aok as plugins - dblue glitch, Naive LPF etc ---

BUT ….. how do I install a plugin from an installer?

I couldn't figure out how to get wine to run the installer, so I thought I'd try to use vmware to install directly inside the vacvst resources folder (which did work. The installer saw the resources directory and installed there without any complaints. I updated the plist etc.) However, any of the plugins I've tried to install using vmware just don't work. They either don't show up in Live, or if they do they say "compatible with live" once inserted...

Sorry to be such a newb, but could anyone please explain how I might install some of my old pc plugins from my install disks or installers? I'd keel over and die if I could actually manage to install my old TC Native Bundle!

Anyway, thanks a bunch ... this is such a cool project!
It'd be great to see it continue on considering how much time the original developer must have spent building this app.
Cheers all ~

run the installer in your wine environment that you setup as part of getting wacvst working.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”