January Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kryptonaut wrote:I can't hear ClaRago's entry as anything other than 3/4 time. Am I listening to it in the wrong way?
partly yes: try to dance a Waltz to it! you'll find 'one two one two three, one two one two three etc.'
ClaRago wrote:I sort of realised it was not a proper waltz as it was going poum-poum-poum poum-poum .
:)

maybe a good topic for next month's contest: ¡do the Zwiefacher! :hihi: :oops:
"It dreamed itself along"

mellotronaut wrote:try to dance a Waltz to it! you'll find 'one two one two three, one two one two three etc.'

maybe a good topic for next month's contest: ¡do the Zwiefacher! :hihi: :oops:
Hmmm... what I hear is closer to 'ONE two AND three ONE TWO THREE', so still fitting into a 3/4 signature, and quite waltzable-to. The score linked from the Wikipedia Zwiefacher page is rather different: Schaufelstiel (pdf)

But yes, a Zwiefacher theme would be interesting :)

[Edit:] 'Golden Brown' by The Stranglers is something that I would say had 'Zwiefacher' sections to it. 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2, 1 2, ... I remember it being very hard to dance to when I was a student, but that may have been because of the beer :D

Sorry for having started a "time signature war". It confirmed me however into getting serious with one of my new year's resolutions which is to take some music theory lessons .I am a bit embarrassed of not being able to confirm the signature of my own submission.

War? Nah, just a friendly discussion between a couple of 'nauts :lol:

Theory can be interesting, but knowing theory isn't essential to making good music. I suppose sometimes it might be useful when talking about it, though! :) Anyway, it's certainly not something to feel embarrassed about.

kryptonaut wrote:War? Nah, just a friendly discussion between a couple of 'nauts :lol:
exactly. i love me some '-nauts' :love: :hihi:
kryptonaut wrote:Theory can be interesting, but knowing theory isn't essential to making good music. I suppose sometimes it might be useful when talking about it, though! :) Anyway, it's certainly not something to feel embarrassed about.

that's it.

i agree mostly on 'Golden Brown', but there is also some ordinary 4/4 going on, imo.

:D

According to songfacts.com:
The intro (and the parts like it) sound like three bars of 3/4, then one of 4/4, with the rest just straight 3/4 like a waltz.
I do not know ,a great song anyway.

Kryptonaut , you actually attempted to dance to that tune? Did you waltz or did you zwiefach?

ClaRago wrote:According to songfacts.com:
The intro (and the parts like it) sound like three bars of 3/4, then one of 4/4, with the rest just straight 3/4 like a waltz.
I do not know ,a great song anyway.
this means: onetwothreeonetwothreeonetwothreeonetwoonetwo (Zwiefacher) and then Waltz
ClaRago wrote:Kryptonaut , you actually attempted to dance to that tune? Did you waltz or did you zwiefach?
well, he waltzed a nauty zwie :-o :party:

I think I lurched drunkenly from one foot to the other in a rhythmically complex and ever-changing pattern, probably completely unrelated to the song's time-signature. :)

Actually, on reflection I'm now wondering whether your song would be better described as 6/8... :help:

wrestling with a new piece this month & all I can say here is "arghhh !"
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Mister Natural wrote:wrestling with a new piece this month & all I can say here is "arghhh !"
Glad to see you back anyway. You still have a few days to sort it out.

@ ..nauts & co
This what my friend who is a piano & singing teacher had to say:

"I have just listened to the waltz and if I had to give it a time signature, I would have given it a compound duple time one ie 6/8. More a duple feel than triple, which is why I would not give it the traditional waltz time signature. "

I wish you all a good week end full of music , waltzing, lurching or whatever you feel like.

ClaRago wrote: @ ..nauts & co
This what my friend who is a piano & singing teacher had to say:

"I have just listened to the waltz and if I had to give it a time signature, I would have given it a compound duple time one ie 6/8. More a duple feel than triple, which is why I would not give it the traditional waltz time signature. "

I wish you all a good week end full of music , waltzing, lurching or whatever you feel like.
sounds like a compromise between the nauty boys :hihi:

cheers :)

Yay, my wonderful family ran away to granma's and left me to record some epic (and very loud) choirs in peace. (neighbors' peace is another matter but I guess the walls are thick enough).

And never mind the latin bollocios, the ditty will now bear the catchy title of Triskaidekaphobia! :D

Cheers Matt
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.

I'm in !

I think my piece tells the story for me of a dis-quieting moon

comments appreciated on my SoundCloud page

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Thank you Irion Da Ronin for your comments it means a lot :)

With this being the first time in entering the competition, I would just like to say "Hi all" and happy to be part of the great & welcoming atmosphere on KVR.
Professional Audio Architecture

Hi All, glad to join in this month, great fun reading through KVR, I really enjoyed listening to the other submissions, mine feels a little bit mainstream in comparison haha but there we go :)

Return to “Music Cafe”