Output formats in the pro version - saving SFZ

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Will I be able to save an SFZ file in the pro version? That would be so great!!!

I don't really see this coming; Since SFZ capabilities are a subset of the TX16Wx's (except for switchin, but that is coming), a TX16Wx program cannot really be translated into SFZ.
I don't really understand why you'd want it either? If you want to export SFZ files to play with some other instruments, there are editors for this.
Cheers
/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

I just love working with SFZ samples & so far for me Tx16wx uses too much CPU in some cases, so I need to work with the smaller SFZ players.
I'm looking for a tool to easily create SFZ programs (tried SFZed, Bjoerns Sample Mapper, sfz toolbox...) but none is like droping waves on keys, selecting a bunch of them and setting velocity layers... and listen to changes while you are working inside a DAW...

I guess at the point where I got I would be willing to spend some money on a really good editor.

Where could I look for a good one?

Thanks

Martin

It could be very useful for me too, for exemple create a programm in tx16Wx, use most of time with this sampler, but too with samplelord big multis ( as it have a disk streaming option) or in alchimy for having some other sound tweaking options.

Btw, this is really an impressive sampler, I'm very happy to have bought the future pro version !

Damien

The new feature to drag & drop samples is really cool. I bet I will buy it... sooner or later...

on the other hand I just found the never finished SC2 the perfect sampler for my needs... so still it would be great to be able to export SFZ, just to use different machines with same basic material!

Sooner. Just bought it as preorder to support the developer. Maybe someone does the job to translate the basics of its fileformat (just the wavhandling on the keyboard & some basic parameters) to SFZ format. Then one would be able to use SFZ as basic format (AND TX16WX as main editor because of its simplicity!!!) in different samplers with different flavours.
I start liking SC2 very much. So sad that it left the scene... That alone could be a reason to switch to Bitwig studio as I bet it will be possible to do what SC2 could inside that DAW... If not with it's primilary release then of course in the future. I'm a very happy reaper user, but after managing the switch from Logic I feel like I could do any switch.
When I startet testing shortcircuit some time ago I had much problems getting used to it and dropped it. After some time now restarting testing - it is so damn easy - Claes Johanson is a genious and I bet with such streamlined interfaces there might come a small revolution with bitwig.

Of course this comparison is not fair... or useful for most people, but I had the interest just comparing cpu load for a simple task: playing a self sampled vibraphone with each note a sample.
Although I like to use samplers for more complex tasks, filters etc. I often just need one of my selfmade multisamples played back without any schnickschnack. My test is in no way very accurate, but reapers % values for cpu usage were enough for me to compare.

Because of the nature of my multisample (each key one sample) in that case I don't need any high quality engine, right?

So here first I tried my old standard SFZ against sc1, sc2 & tx16wx and SFZ won, BUT: only in draft mode it is a CLEAR winner cpu wise. So when using samples where quality counts while using fewer samples sfz uses much more cpu.

Then I remembered that I also have ewi player from my EWI usb instrument & newly sforzando & have to say, that they were even better in performance than SFZ.
Maybe they adjust quality when needed? I don't know & don't care, because for simple task I now know they are 1st choice & bet qualitywise they are great too.

I thought Shortcircuit would blow Tx16WX, but it's not the case. SC1 is for that simple task also CPU wasting with about 6x cpu usage compared to Sforzando.
Just SC2 is about 3x cpu compared to sforzando, so I bet for complex tasks it is simply great!

My personal result:

I was very critical with TX16Wx cpu usage, but I don't have to be. (I still have to test high quality mode though). It is O.K., so I bet with some further developement it maybe will be used quite often, just because it is nice to have a sampler that is actually under developement. I might use it for drum samples, because SC2 has some serious problems for me with large sampleprograms.

I just did some tests building a simple flute program.

- Selecting wavs and dropping them on the keys is very easy.
- Saving/exporting works very well.
- I had some unnecessary work with the root keys of the notes: Why not (like in shortcircuit2) setting rootkey (when there's no rootkey saved with the wav file) to the key I dropped the sample on? Pitch detection in TX16Wx(although using pitchcorrected clean samples) simply did not work in my case.
- is there a funktion to automatically fill the empty keys? That would save time also.

Still I hope, that this sampler could be the perfect SFZ mapper... I think just the ability to sfz-export the very basic settings like zones, groups, velocity & basta would be great.

Maybe someone else could code something like an sfz extractor for the tx16wx format. I bet many people would be glad to have an easy way to map their samples in sfz standard with a nice gui like this.

The sfz format is definitely in need of a free/cheap program that makes building sfz files easier and more fun than using a text editor. As the TX16Wx format is fully documented, perhaps somebody could code a conversion utility.

I've never bothered to make my own sfz for use in Alchemy, for instance, but if I could easily put them together in TX16Wx and convert them then I probably would.

I'm happy to read that other people are looking for the same thing as I!

When I look at the txprog & sfz of the same sampleinstrument it looks as if it should be relatively easy to do a translation... Sadly so far I have no programming skills but for a programmer it should be easy to readout the relevant data in one txt doc and to write it down in another one readable for sfz...

Hey, it's in first place all about:

<group>
loop_mode=

<region>
sample=***.wav1
lokey=
hikey=
hivel=
lovel=
pitch_keycenter=

<region>

For the developer i'd guess it's not that much work, to get the basic informations out to sfz format...

Martin

mccy wrote:I just love working with SFZ samples & so far for me Tx16wx uses too much CPU in some cases, so I need to work with the smaller SFZ players.
I'm looking for a tool to easily create SFZ programs (tried SFZed, Bjoerns Sample Mapper, sfz toolbox...) but none is like droping waves on keys, selecting a bunch of them and setting velocity layers... and listen to changes while you are working inside a DAW...

I guess at the point where I got I would be willing to spend some money on a really good editor.

Where could I look for a good one?

Thanks

Martin
I don't know how this would work for you or if it fits your criteria, but for me it is perfect: Wusikstation. Asseca added SFZ export to the sample editor which is pretty powerful and easy to use. It works very well.
It doesn't cost too much if you get in on a group buy ;-) and you get a lot of very nice sounds, not to mention a top-notch vsti for playing about with and manipulating patches.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... en&ct=clnk

I don't know if I have this right, but it seems you can buy Wusikstation v6 for 9.95 dollars which comes with 15Gb of sounds too.

http://www.wusik.com/ww/purchase

That will do what you want for very little money. It's got full drag and drop support for .wav and .sfz with Special WusikSND and SFZ options: Key Switching, Round Robin, Group-Mute, Sample-Release and Sample-Legato.

It would compliment TX16Wx nicely I would say.

cheers.

Wow. Does that mean, i can build complex sfz instruments and export them? So using sfz in another sampler?
Am i allowed to use wusik on more than one computer?

Thanks

Martin

O.K. tested the demo. Seems very instable for me.
Editing with Tx16Wx is much nicer, I think, but I still think about spending the 10$ for version 6... Will I have all sfz support under v6?

O.K., bought wusik 6.
Nice addition for that price :-)

I also try to learn a bit programming. I'm using Flowstone with ruby and try to build a converter for the tx16wx files. Comparing it to wusik it is nearly the perfect way to create sampleinstruments (by now I like sc2 better, but sfz support for export or convert would make TX16WX such a great value). The GUi in Tx16Wx is so nice!

By now I managed to code a small program which can edit one sample with hkey, lokey & vel... I also managed to make it save sfz files and load txt files. Hope it will be possible for me as a bloody beginner to code a converter... I guess 100+ hours of work for me, 1 hour for a real programmer... (maybe factor x10 :-) )

mccy wrote: Hope it will be possible for me as a bloody beginner to code a converter... I guess 100+ hours of work for me, 1 hour for a real programmer... (maybe factor x10 :-) )
Good Luck - let us know how you get on with it.

Return to “CWITEC”