This is going to sound stupid but...(Maschine & Spark)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can someone please explain to me what Machine actually is?

And what is Spark?

I mean, I know roughly what they are, but does Machine run VST? and why? Is it like some kind of mini-daw?

And whats the idea behind spark, like some kind of old school drum machine/synthesizer with sequencer? Anything else?

And finally please let me know if you have these what they do for you, why you use them.

The idea of working on a hardware sequencer/sample with a good interface appeals to me. Last time I did that was on a Korg EMX, man I had a great time but it's very limited.

Finally, anyone got Elektron Machine?
Last edited by Aiynzahev on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Watch these tutorials, and you know what Spark is :): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2IH7WOItUw

Actually, i was quite amazed what you can do with it when i watched those. Especially for the price it sells atm (399 €). Great stuff. :tu:

chk071 wrote:Watch these tutorials, and you know what Spark is :): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2IH7WOItUw

Actually, i was quite amazed what you can do with it when i watched those. Especially for the price it sells atm (399 €). Great stuff. :tu:
Yes Sir!

Actually I was listening to some demos on Arturia website of the synthesis engine, sounds amazing!

And your right about the price. I really might get this one :)
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

So if you buy the software version of spark you get all the drum synthesis engines?
Aiynzahev-sounds

DELETED

I've owned an Elektron Machinedrum for a long time and also have Maschine which is vastly different (as I assume Spark is - not used that).
Can someone please explain to me what Machine actually is?
It's a combined host and controller that aims to provide similar functionality to the Akai MPC series, but with a modern touch. The Maschine controller allows for almost-mouse-free operation of the software. Browsing for sounds, changing tracks, recording automation and of course beats is all done from the controller. It works really well.

Because the software is running on a computer there is basically no limit to the number of sounds that can be accessed (which is good and bad at the same time ...).

The pads have a really nice, tight feel which is great for playing drums + percussion.
I mean, I know roughly what they are, but does Machine run VST? and why? Is it like some kind of mini-daw?
It's both. It can run as a standalone host (which can also host plugins), or as a plugin inside your DAW.

The controller also has a regular MIDI mode where the pads output MIDI notes, which can be used in place of a regular MIDI keyboard to play any MIDI hardware or software e.g. I use it with FXpansion Geist.
And finally please let me know if you have these what they do for you, why you use them
It takes a bit of practice, but playing beats with pads can get quite different results to using a mouse or step sequencer. Small changes in velocity and timing often mean more organic sounding results ... or badly out of time :hihi:
The idea of working on a hardware sequencer/sample with a good interface appeals to me. Last time I did that was on a Korg EMX, man I had a great time but it's very limited.
Step sequencing can feel quite rigid at times but it depends on the step sequencer ...
Finally, anyone got Elektron Machine?
I guess you mean Machinedrum. It is basically a digital drum machine with several different types of physical modelling and synthesis methods used to create the basic kit sounds, and a tightly integrated step sequencer that allows parameter locking per step.

P-locks are a really powerful feature making it possible (for example) for each step to have a different filter cutoff value or pitch, etc. The number of p-locks is effectively unlimited so this makes for some really great performance tricks.

The basic MD is drum synthesis only. The MD-UW model can load samples, resample from the main outputs, or sample any external source via the inputs. The samples are held in RAM and can then be sequenced / remixed. Also a very powerful performance tool.

While NI Maschine and Elektron Machinedrum have a similar goal (programming beats) the workflow / method / techniques and results are totally different / unique.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

As a fxpansion Geist owner, I have much respect for a good drum sampler or synthesis engine combined with hardware. I wish fxpansion would come out with this approach. It's the tactile feel of working a hardware piece. I have my padKontrol custom mapped to control pads up to 64, engine switching, pattern switching, scene switching, transport controls, and left room to program in the two assignable knobs to whichever I deem the most important, but having a hardware box that lets you get into smooth workflow enhances creativity and makes everything feel better. I hope more companies take this approach.

By the way, mapping up padKontrol took several days of trial and error to find what was useful and it combines not just a hardware map on the controller, but a separate geistbinding file to match. I had to create separate maps for standalone and use in Ableton.

If the software wasn't so kick ass, I would have been tempted by these other two and in fact, am still tempted by Maschine.

The hardware is there. It talks seamlessly to the software. It gets out of the way to let creativity flow. I don't know if they have cp built in by using as a dongle or not, but that would work well for me too if they did.

If you have never tried the offerings out there for integrated drum machines, try it. They've come along nicely. I demoed both and was impressed and had fun.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Thanks Andy

It's weird, I should be interested in Maschine as it could possibly do a lot for me, but all I can think of is headache bugs and integration issues.

I guess I like things simple. Which is what appeals to me with Spark and Machinedrum, since you can make your sounds and patterns and then just record them, or with Spark try to use the integration.

It's odd, for what ever reason it's taken me a long time to "get" what Maschine and Spark are supposed to be. Maschine especially. It reminds me a lot of an MPC.

I had an Mpc 2000 once, it was a really romantic idea, but when I actually got the clunky thing in my studio I couldn't believe people still used it. It was like going back to the 90's. Waiting to load samples, hundreds of clicks and menu pages. Weird. Definitely not for me.
Aiynzahev-sounds

Aiynzahev wrote: It's odd, for what ever reason it's taken me a long time to "get" what Maschine and Spark are supposed to be. Maschine especially. It reminds me a lot of an MPC.
In the case of Spark i knew what it does, but it took that video i posted above to really get how much stuff you can do with it. And the operating seems so intuitive and straight forward, a couple of times i was thinking "hm, these guys really sat in front of it for a long time and figured out "what do we want to do, and what's the easiest way to approach this"". Sorta like from musicians for musicians. :)

chk071 wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote: It's odd, for what ever reason it's taken me a long time to "get" what Maschine and Spark are supposed to be. Maschine especially. It reminds me a lot of an MPC.
In the case of Spark i knew what it does, but it took that video i posted above to really get how much stuff you can do with it. And the operating seems so intuitive and straight forward, a couple of times i was thinking "hm, these guys really sat in front of it for a long time and figured out "what do we want to do, and what's the easiest way to approach this"". Sorta like from musicians for musicians. :)
Isn't that odd. I downloaded the demo and found the interface to be really horrible. So much that I lost all interest in it.

I mean, the hardware controller only gives you 3 knobs to adjust the sound, so the rest of it will have to be with the mouse and it's not laid out well imo, and another thing there are so many engines, which is good but it will take a long time.

The thing is it definitely can make great sounds, but so far I find it annoying.

Wasn't the software version for sale by itself at one point?
Aiynzahev-sounds

Aiynzahev wrote:Thanks Andy

It's weird, I should be interested in Maschine as it could possibly do a lot for me, but all I can think of is headache bugs and integration issues.

Have you heard of many?
I use Maschine everyday with a lot of third party plugins..and on both my mac and pc it is very stable.

rsp

Aiynzahev wrote: Wasn't the software version for sale by itself at one point?
Don't want to tell you lies now, but i think the Spark Dubstep and Classic Drummachines products are standalone software versions.

Shame you got annoyed by it. Looked quite nice judging by the videos. :/

zvenx wrote:Have you heard of many?
I use Maschine everyday with a lot of third party plugins..and on both my mac and pc it is very stable.
Yeah, agreed. NI Maschine has been around long enough now to be considered "mature". Never run in to any problems here.

Peace,
Andy.

Yeah maschine may or may not be the approach you wish to take in beat creation but you really cant say it's not a solid instrument.

and can one you Machinedrum users explain how parameter locks differ from recording automation into a pattern like you can on maschine or electribes?

I'll try to describe p-locks but as always it's better to use it than read about it :)
and can one you Machinedrum users explain how parameter locks differ from recording automation into a pattern like you can on maschine or electribes?
It's a bit like per-note host automation, or motion sequencing on the Electribe series but that doesn't quite capture what p-locks are capable of.

With Electribes AFAIR only a limited number of sequences may be recorded for each part. p-locks are limited by a global pool, so an individual step could be setting values for 10 or 15 parameters. It all happens in real time and 0 latency. Hold step - set parameter(s) - done. It's very intuitive once the interface is learned.

Peace,
Andy.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”