This Already Happened (ambient trip hop/downtempo)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6185854/2013/Th ... ppened.mp3

Messing with an ambient trip hop idea. Best heard on speakers with a sub. Influenced by Massive Attack and Black Light Burns (Wes Borland).

Lyrics:

Fast flows the river but I want to go slow
Turn off the lights but your eyes still glow

Points are growing from within the grain
Moving shapes distort, and the colors start to fade

Flashing lights inside your brain
Red drops swirl but that's just rain

Lines and shades begin their peeling
Elephants that dance across the ceiling

Got this haunting feeling
That the world might end

Someone said this
This already happened
(This already happened)

Someone told me
this already happened
(This already happened)
Last edited by metalifuxx on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nice! Enjoyed this a lot! Need to check out Black Light Burns. I listened a few times to this and it made me revisit a few of these groups...Smith & Mighty...and I don't know why, this reminded me of Earthling. Floats along nicely, and somehow manages to bridge that trip hop feel with a contemporary vibe - i feel massive attack were a lot more lo-fi, in some respects at least, than this. Cool - hitting replay right now.

definitely get a massive attack vibe from this, though not as lo-fi.
cool!

On my second listen now, it sounds good, although a little less-fi would be good :)
On headphones the bass already sound good, will check on the speakers tomorrow.
Great track!

Cool! Kinda like really slow rap... actually reminded me a lot of Beck. Would love to hear an extended version. 8)
Image Image

I really liked this. It reminds me of stuff from the first U.N.K.L.E. album.
Thanks.

For me, other then the vocal feeling just a wee bit, standing out of the mix(but it may just be me), its a great track, rap/trip hop/ambient, yes! I'd love to hear more :) Cool lyrics too!

Cool vibes. Well recorded, and the mix of sounds is very good. It reminds me of the Peter Gabriel track "The Story Of Ovo" in both sound and mood.

Good work :)

Sweet. Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm not a rapper nor a singer or even much of a lyric writer. It's always fun to work with some type of vocal track though, so I decided to add one. This was more of a poetic reflection of the last couple psilocybin experiences I had years ago. I do like the Massive Attack trip hop style, and I know they do use more lofi and vinyl sampled type sounds. Also influenced by older Porcupine Tree stuff, like the Voyage 34 album and The Sky Moves Sideways album.

I only posted because I thought people would enjoy the atmospheric sounds as much as I did when I was making it. I originally planned to add some guitar bits, but liked the minimalism space that developed with a sparser mix.

I will only continue and add more if my friend that was with me at the time is inspired to help me with more lyrics or ideas. Maybe something about seeing the northern lights (Aurora Borealis) happen at that same time too. Yes, they did happen, as confirmed by a sober person who was also with us :hihi:

abstractcats wrote:For me, other then the vocal feeling just a wee bit, standing out of the mix(but it may just be me), its a great track, rap/trip hop/ambient, yes! I'd love to hear more :) Cool lyrics too!
I was fighting with the vocal levels a lot. Usually it is the bass/low end but I had no problem with that because I wanted it to be droning and brooding and fill a lot of space. Originally the vocals were lower, but the clarity and ineligibility was lost a bit, because I am usually not that confident when I do anything vocally in a track (the rare times I add a vocal idea). I finally decided that if they were going to be there, then they should try to be intelligible and present.

Somehow I missed this one. Really quite good.

I would enjoy an extended version with a longer instrumental introduction and the psychedelic elements cranked way up like the track below.

Warning: The track below can melt your mind if you listen too long. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHVUVwYuCkM

FrantzM wrote:Somehow I missed this one. Really quite good.

I would enjoy an extended version with a longer instrumental introduction and the psychedelic elements cranked way up like the track below.

Warning: The track below can melt your mind if you listen too long. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHVUVwYuCkM
:love: But I got to be in the right mood. Inspiring none the less. Kind of like a slower paced Ozric Tentacles with less or no flute. I just wish that flute guy could play another instrument or keyboard sometimes. But maybe that's what it sounds like to a non guitar player who hears endless guitar wankery :hihi:

I like Beck's stuff, and need to revisit his stuff now. Odelay is a good one.

I like select Ween songs and (don't laugh) some King Missile, for the weird story telling vocal aspect behind music thing. I could just never get into the Bob Dylan or Tom Waits thing with not much driving interesting melody.

I love the B.O.C. (Campfire Headphase) style and the trip hop stuff, more so Massive Attack, especially when the guy raps. The female vocal style works for that genre, but I could listen to "Inertia Creeps" on repeat for a while. There is a certain hypnotic rhythmic and melodic element to whole song. As for hip hop and rap, the only stuff I dig and will listen to by choice is A Tribe Called Quest, and Mobb Deep. They don't do stuff like that anymore, as for beats and rap style (that I'm aware of).

And I will have to check out the other artists mentioned. I always learn about new music and styles here at KVR (and not just guitar/metal dominated music). I will have to extend and add more to this song idea, now that I see there is more than a few people interested. Guitar bits will definitely be worked in. Maybe my friend(s) will have some interesting ideas too.

I did all the artwork on the image in first post, drawn/colored by hand and scanned and then slightly manipulated in photoshop. Almost like Pink Floyd's The Wall, but it's a hall. Imagery is also inspiring to my music, and vice versa.

I liked the vibe, i thought the mix was good, sonically interesting textures here, great hybrid triphop feel, yeah I can hear more than just the Massive Attack influence here, nice :love:

i'm glad you said you aren't a lyricist/rapper because then I won't feel bad for saying I thought the lyrics felt a bit "first-draft-ish" and the rap seemed a tad clunky to me because of it. if it was my tune i'd work on those a little more, maybe alternate between a faster and slower rhyming rhythm on different lines... oh and seemed way too short, was waiting for the 2nd verse that never came.

for me though, musically/texturally I would not change a thing other than explore and extend it a bit. thanks for sharing. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”