In search for a probability-based multi-fx/beat-slicer/looper/glitcher, preferably free

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys

What I'm looking for is a mix between De La Mancha's Machin and (Illformed)dBlue's Glitch. Or between Audio Damage's Replicant and Sugar Bytes' Effectrix.

Something with the following caracteristics:
- some sort of step sequencer used to define for each step the probability that an effect will be triggered on that step. (like Machin)
- the possibility to have more than one effect at a time
- the effects Machin has (gate, crusher, filter, flanger, delay, reverb) but also things like Glitch or Effectrix has (Looper, Retrigger, Reverser, Shuffler, Tape Stop, Timestrech, Scratch)
- MIDI Learn for (all) parameters
- Swing control for step sequencer
- preferably free

Maybe I'm lucky and this plugin already exists, though I wasn't able to find one.

Thanks
Last edited by KTlin on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dunno many more of this stuff for free.
But take a look on these, maybe you find some of them useful for glitching.

Artillery 2 CM (in Computer Music magazine)
Daft Funk
Arc Dev Cyclotron X2
Buffer Override
Rhythmic Agent
Supatrigga
Arc Dev Blitter

Some of them have built-in sequencers, others not.
All of them free. Some of them a bit difficult to find nowadays.

And also, some commercial ones.

Ugo Audio Disturbance
Turnado
BigSeq2

Good luck and have a nice day :)

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate you took the time to list all those plugins.

Unfortunately none of those are quite what i'm looking for. Pretty much because they don't use a probability-based algorithm/sequencer and also because some of them don't have a vast range of effects. From the list you gave me, i've been using Supatrigga which is quite nice and simple and it's probability-based but it's more of a beat-slicer than a multi-fx.

Cheers

I remembered also this one.

De la Mancha Truc 1

I just wanted to help. Good luck with your quest in any case, dude :)

I don't know if a perfect match to your description exists but you should definitely give Loomer Sequent a try!

http://www.loomer.co.uk/sequent.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNkhI8JtGqk
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I don't know any free VST that does do that, but it's the kind of things that you could patch easily in any modular environment. If you're into that kind of stuff it really is worth the learning time.
I for myself use Usine ( http://www.sensomusic.com ) and find it straightforward to make probability based things.
Last edited by tanabarbier on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@Nielzie Sequent is quite potent with a vast range of effects and has a very good looking and clear interface. The problem is, though, like with Effectrix, Turnado, Glitch, Disturbance, that it doesn't use a probability-based algorithm for triggering the effects. You have to manually sequence the effects (draw the steps) or you could randomize them (but without much control over that).
Anyway, thanks for your help.

@tanabarbier I know what you're saying but I'm looking for a "self-contained" plugin to do this sort of stuff.

Cheers

KTlin wrote:@Nielzie Sequent is quite potent with a vast range of effects and has a very good looking and clear interface. The problem is, though, like with Effectrix, Turnado, Glitch, Disturbance, that it doesn't use a probability-based algorithm for triggering the effects. You have to manually sequence the effects (draw the steps) or you could randomize them (but without much control over that).
Anyway, thanks for your help.

@tanabarbier I know what you're saying but I'm looking for a "self-contained" plugin to do this sort of stuff.

Cheers
I don't think you're going to get any closer than Glitch for what you want. It's an amazing little effect... though I have to say that Turnado and Replicant get used a lot in my DAW. Well worth the cash.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

i have a variety of algorithmic effects, none are multieffects. the only one you didn't mention i'm aware of is jackdark's collection. i am not aware if these are still available online.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:the only one you didn't mention i'm aware of is jackdark's collection. i am not aware if these are still available online.
They can be found here, but I can't remember anything that fits the bill.. A bending backwards sort of solution would be to find some MIDI generators that can make the appropriate type of controlled chaos and make them shift through and modulate effects parameters in the FX plugins...

You've already listed all the best of breed effects. You aren't going to find something which mixes and matches your favorite parts of each into some ultimate effect. The best you can do is to build your own in a modular environment. This is completely possible, if you're willing to put in the effort.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Yeah, I'm trying to see quite what your aiming at, sometimes the truth about the illusion of an effect from tracks you hear, is not allways based on a single effect it's good production technique and the use of multiple effects.

But if you really want to get deep into all the effect thingy buy NI Reaktor (perhaps from a forum member) and if an imediate fix is your wish look at Twisted Tools effects.

Other than that, you can then search the user library and make good use of the bundled content.

P.S I personaly don't get on with probability mixed with effects that are meant to be quantized, it's fairly frustrating, it's a stand point I don't get, because the listener is unaware of the ratio of the device your using, If I pres a button or twist a knob I want something to happen, I would rather be the 'Random Generator'.

Proxima4 wrote:I personaly don't get on with probability mixed with effects that are meant to be quantized, it's fairly frustrating, it's a stand point I don't get, because the listener is unaware of the ratio of the device your using, If I pres a button or twist a knob I want something to happen, I would rather be the 'Random Generator'.
I understand your point. Me, on the other hand, when it comes to this kind of stuff (glitchy, randomly, sttutery, abstract), I prefer to control, or to set the limits only for the range in which an effect will be randomly generated and then let the device generate that effect within that range.
V-GER wrote:A bending backwards sort of solution would be to find some MIDI generators that can make the appropriate type of controlled chaos and make them shift through and modulate effects parameters in the FX plugins...
Thank you for the suggestion. That was my "plan B". I could use for example Artillery (seems the most appropriate for this job) and then find a MIDI plugin that will generate (probability-based) notes and send them to Artillery.
So now I must find some MIDI plugin that would do that. The only one I could think of would be Mucoder's Hypercyclic but it doesn't quite fit the bill.

Whats your host?
Easy to do in all the ones I use with automation etc.
Piece of cake in Live
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I use Live, and I know I could manage to do it using only Live, but as I said earlier in reply to tanabarbier, I would like a "self-contained" plugin to do this sort of stuff.

Return to “Effects”