Cathedral (analogue improv)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A sound I made on my Minibrute has inspired this long noodle. It's improvised, one take so there are a few mistakes...The choirs were later overdubbed.

Lead: Arturia Minibrute
Bass: Roland SH-2
Choirs: Alchemy (my own patches)

Length 6.52

C A T H E D R A L

Kind of a darker, melancholic mood. Hope you enjoy it.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Another track of analog goodness? Yessss!!! :)

It's darkly beautiful, you can tell it's a one take and it's even better.
It's fresh!

I had no idea that the Minibrute could sound so delicate :) at first I thought the brute was making the bass.

Thanks man

Outstanding!

Reminded me a little of Vangelis. Very well done.

Was the delay synth or daw based? Sounded good. 8)

Thanks Mariosprt.

The Minibrute can make some very gentle sounds. A lot of demos showcase the harsher side, but to be honest I prefer its softer sounds. Here, the patch is based on the triangle wave which is mixed with the sawtooth wave (detuned via the 'Ultra Saw' parameter, which gives it a dual-oscillator sound). The envelopes have two speed settings - fast and slow - and when set to the slow setting, the envelopes become very 'flowing', which helps to get that very playable, 'gooey' sound.

I'm really glad the 'Brute has after-touch since without it I couldn't add any vibrato to those noodles (the other hand was playing the bass).

Thanks Doc Brown. Glad you liked it.

The effects are courtesy of Valhalla plugins, specifically, the UberMod (providing delay) and Vintage Verb providing the huge space.
You mention Vangelis, I'm a great fan. :-)

Thanks for listening. Hopefully the resonance sweep right at the end didn't kill anybody's hearing.

Noodlicious and analog nutritious. I watched a lot of MiniBrute videos showing off the Metalizer and Brute Factor which weren't quite convincing but I could listen to your lead all day. Your choir patches are very nice too. (The bass sounds a little heavy in this context.) Cool track. 8)

Thanks FrantzM, Glad you liked it. I wasn't sure if posting a track like this is wise (improvised noodles and all that).

The Brute is certainly capable of some delicate sounds. This lead sound is my favourite Minibrute sound so far. I've got it set up on the synth right now and don't want to create another sound as I don't want to loose it. :hihi:

That bass is supposed to be a bit heavy with a feeling of 'foreboding'...or something :D (gotta love those SH2 oscillators, 2 + the sub :love: ).

This sounds lovely. As has already been stated, parts of this sound a little like Vangelis, other parts sound similar to our own fatc :) That lead sound is lovely. The bass is great and so are the choir sounds. I really liked the delay and reverb too. Great atmosphere.

I was considering buying a small synth maybe later this year and was probably looking at Ultranova, Blofeld or GAIA. I wasn't really bothered about the analog vs. digital aspects, just as long as I could get some cool sounds. I too had listened to various Minibrute demos but discounted it due to what I felt was quite a harsh sound. This track has forced me to re-evaluate that stance.

Good work :)

himalaya wrote:Thanks FrantzM, Glad you liked it. I wasn't sure if posting a track like this is wise (improvised noodles and all that).
I have enjoyed everything you have posted so far: noodles, synthpop, funk, Berlin school, sound demos, etc. Please keep 'em coming. :)

That was quite an inspired "noodle" - as if Vangelis had done the soundtrack to Name of the Rose. Very evocative, and I loved the build-up near the end. I'm a sucker for choirs anyway. :)

seismic1 wrote: This track has forced me to re-evaluate that stance.

Good work :)
Thanks man, and good to hear that the Brute has made you think twice. In fact, if you can, invest in a solid analog synth. It is worth it, no matter what one thinks about the software vs hardware debate (for me there ain't none. I use both and love both).

@FrantzM, thank you friend. That's appreciated. :)

@ariston, glad you have mentioned the build up, which is what the noodles lead to.

Most of you point to Vangelis for the influence, and it's no secret I'm his best fan (right after BigTone :hihi: ), but the main influence really came from Jan Garbarek's 'Officium' album (the mood and the soloing - which I can't do - but it was that overall mood I was after).

Thanks for listening. :)

BASTARD!!! :x

I knew exactly what I was going to buy for my mini analogue GAS (mono lancet and Dark Energy) and then you had to go and do this!!

Seriously, that MB sounds gorgeous. As you say most of the demos on the net seem to be all about how harsh it can sound, and although I'd wanted one just because of the way it looked, now i'll have to get one because of the way it sounds too!

Seriously awesome demo of why we still need these little beasts in our lives.

Love it. :love:

Well now. This really is rather special. You obviously just hit the 'zone' smack on with that noodle :hail:

Love it to bits :love:

I think I might just have to steal this one :P
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

@tehlord
LOL! and thanks. :D

Shit. I really didn't want this to be a Minibrute demo. :hihi:
Good to hear that you are planning to buy some hardware. This will be a good year for new analog hardware synth releases.

@olderol
Thank you very much. :-)
I think I might just have to steal this one :P
If it's the Brute you want, it isn't going anywhere. I'm keeping it :D :box:
The track? It's copyrighted to the High Lamas of Kangchenjunga. If you can climb to the top of the peak, you can have the track. :D

Thank you for listening. :)
Last edited by himalaya on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whether you wanted it to be a demo or not is irrelevant to my GAS suffering ears :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”