a-ha The Sun Always Shines On Tv

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FireFoxOmicron wrote:It most likely is from a Synclavier as they used that during their final version of the Hunting High and Low Album.
You know, it just occurred to me that I did use a piano sound on a Synclavier once, back in my college recording classes. I'm not sure if I still have the cassette with that recording on it, but if I can dig it up, I'll let you know how the sound compares. Of course, I'm guessing that there was more than one piano sample set made for the Synclavier, so who knows...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:
FireFoxOmicron wrote:It most likely is from a Synclavier as they used that during their final version of the Hunting High and Low Album.
You know, it just occurred to me that I did use a piano sound on a Synclavier once, back in my college recording classes. I'm not sure if I still have the cassette with that recording on it, but if I can dig it up, I'll let you know how the sound compares. Of course, I'm guessing that there was more than one piano sample set made for the Synclavier, so who knows...
I see. That would be very helpful. :)

Are there any VSTs based on the Synclavier?

I've heard of the Cult Sampler which is the same as the CM Session VST [ I have them both ].

Both are kind of unstable too.. And I have no idea If the library are the same as the Synclavier.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter
SCP Containment Breach Sound Designer.
The Sun Always Shines On Tv.

I'm surprised nobody has got this yet, but that piano sound is clearly a very effected and eq'd Yamaha CP70 or CP80.
They were used all over hits in the 80s and we used on tour quite extensively for bands wanting a more "acoustic piano" sound.

:D
Macbook Pro 15", Motu 896, Novations, Logic8, Reason
Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emax II Turbos (3), Evolver Keyboard, Pulse, MS20, The beginnings of a modular...

Chevytraveller wrote:I'm surprised nobody has got this yet, but that piano sound is clearly a very effected and eq'd Yamaha CP70 or CP80.
They were used all over hits in the 80s and we used on tour quite extensively for bands wanting a more "acoustic piano" sound.

:D
Wow.

I listened to a few demos and there is a slight resemblance.

Are there any VSTs for either of them?

I've looked around and have one callde mda Piano though I am not sure If it is very good emulation.

I did EQ it a bit and it has that very sharp sound so It is pretty close.

Thank you for that bit of information too! :D
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter

I should have thought of that. I have a friend with a cp70 and I've played it numerous times. The one in question is clearly a sample, and the real deal. The question still remains which library that sample came from.

If it is then I sure hope we find it soon :(
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter

I thought there was more DX7 (in my memories) but listening to the track, I changed my mind. The piano is not a simple DX, seems sampled or layered with another source, maybe the Synclavier. The strings could be easily a Juno 60. But i'ts not so easy to tell, even with good ears and experience. Why don't you write a mail to the musician or producer directly? They might answer, if they remember. :? That's true "investigation"...

Acrobat wrote:I thought there was more DX7 (in my memories) but listening to the track, I changed my mind. The piano is not a simple DX, seems sampled or layered with another source, maybe the Synclavier. The strings could be easily a Juno 60. But i'ts not so easy to tell, even with good ears and experience. Why don't you write a mail to the musician or producer directly? They might answer, if they remember. :? That's true "investigation"...
I always thought it was a DX too, Ha ha.

Could be a layered DX and Sampled Sound [ Possibly the CP70 / CP80 that was pointed out earlier ].

I haven't heard many Synclavier Sampled Sounds but it is a high chance. Maybe..

Could even be the PPG Wave that many people seem to forget about :)

The Strings.. I've managed to get very similar sounds on both a Juno AND Solina but they both lack that feeling that the strings on the track has. Which means they could be sampled and mixed with a synth, Possibly the Juno as you said.

I've always thought about contacting the Producers but am not sure how to.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter

FireFoxOmicron wrote:The Strings.. I've managed to get very similar sounds on both a Juno AND Solina but they both lack that feeling that the strings on the track has. Which means they could be sampled and mixed with a synth, Possibly the Juno as you said.
It was probably just a Juno, but keep in mind that polished studio tracks usually have additional processing done to them. At the very least, there was probably some EQ, and likely some Lexicon reverb as well.

deastman wrote:
FireFoxOmicron wrote:The Strings.. I've managed to get very similar sounds on both a Juno AND Solina but they both lack that feeling that the strings on the track has. Which means they could be sampled and mixed with a synth, Possibly the Juno as you said.
It was probably just a Juno, but keep in mind that polished studio tracks usually have additional processing done to them. At the very least, there was probably some EQ, and likely some Lexicon reverb as well.
If so then yes, It must be heavily EQ'ed.

I posted a sample of the dry Strings during the Chorus a few posts ago and they sound more different than the ones in the final mix.

They are more faded sounding and sound alot more synthesized whereas the ones in te final mix are more colder, brighter and seem to be very slightly modulated during the lyrics " Close to your Heart ".

Oddly enough, They seem to almost have LESS reverb than the dry ones. Maybe that is just due to compression.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter

FireFoxOmicron wrote:Could even be the PPG Wave that many people seem to forget about :)
You can listen to other records done with PPG for a smart comaprison. For example, listen to Fugazi LP by Marillion, is full of PPG. You can then have a brighter idea of the sound it produces.
"For some reason everyone on this site hates Roger Nichols, loves Zebra, doesn't need a Virus (unless it's TI), uses Reaper, and thinks the Kaoss pad is cool: remember these rules and you'll be popular." (blackboyrockinit)

I don't think anyone would layer a CP piano with anything-it's very out of tune and sound good only by its own, layering with an exact source like DX7 and you will get very bad tunings.
"For some reason everyone on this site hates Roger Nichols, loves Zebra, doesn't need a Virus (unless it's TI), uses Reaper, and thinks the Kaoss pad is cool: remember these rules and you'll be popular." (blackboyrockinit)

Acrobat wrote:I don't think anyone would layer a CP piano with anything-it's very out of tune and sound good only by its own, layering with an exact source like DX7 and you will get very bad tunings.
I see.

Thank you for the info.

On a side note, I found a Synclavier VST. " The Beast " and it is said to have all the Samples and FM Sounds found in the Synclavier such as the Gong from Michael Jackson's " Beat It ".

Sadly, Only one String Sampe was shown. Most of the other previews were just some of the Choir and Leads.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter

I thought I remembered when The Beast came out, the developer clarified that it doesn't actually contain any real Synclavier samples, but new original sounds inspired by it.

deastman wrote:I thought I remembered when The Beast came out, the developer clarified that it doesn't actually contain any real Synclavier samples, but new original sounds inspired by it.
Hmm.. Strange.

The Gong sound seems to be alot like the Synclavier's one [ Used in Beat It ].

Almost the same sounding as the one in the CultSampler VST too which was also based off several samplers.

If more samples had been shown then we might have been able to tell whether they really are Synclavier samples or inspired ones.

I've managed to extract the Strings from the Chorus of " The Sun Always Shines " in the best quality I could..

I will try to upload the sample as soon as I can.

EDIT -

http://www.mediafire.com/?56nox96d5o756tn

Here it is.

I apologise for the quality. It was the best I could get while keeping the entire string section audible.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter

Return to “Sound Design”