Electrum Drum Machine (Android) now supports USB MIDI controllers

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New update out, 4.6.4.

You can now use external USB MIDI controllers to play Electrum's pads. They are also velocity sensitive. This should work on any device with Android 3.2 and higher.

See MENU->MORE->PLAY pads with MIDI USB.

You must use an OTG (On-The-Go) USB cable to use host mode!

Your MIDI Controller must be a "Standard" controller, in that it does not require any extra drivers (such as when you plug it into a Windows computer, it just works right away)

So far this has been tested and works on:

Galaxy Nexus Phone with Android 4.1.1
Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Android 4.0.4
Motorola XOOM with Android 3.2
Motorola XOOM with Android 4.1.2

Testing was done with an Akai LPD8 Midi controller, using a USB-B to Micro USB OTG cable bought on Amazon.

You should be able to even use a USB MIDI keyboard and just map the keys to Electrum's pads.

Video demo:

http://youtu.be/zhevwl7YztA

LATENCY SEEMS BETTER PLAYING WITH MIDI USB!

A user had posted on my video saying that they could still see latency. However, that I believe is more due to YouTube's video processing. Trust me, when you actually play the machine with a MIDI controller, it feels much more responsive.

Strangely, the audio latency seems to be very minimal when using MIDI USB control. For example, if you try to play Electrum with the on-screen Multitouch pads, you cannot play a pad really fast over and over. It will start to lag very badly. However, with the MIDI control, you can hit as fast as you want and the sound will play properly! It looks like the touch screen itself has a lot of processing latency.

Hi Niko,

Cool new feature.

Thanks for sharing.

God Bless.

Aaron

Hi there,

I just tried the demo version to see how it works... and turnes out that it's unusable, it does see the usb drumkit and plays sounds, but the latency is too big and therefore it is not possible to play the drums... is there any way to improve the response and get rid of the latency? i am using this on samsung galaxy S4, tried on other phones too with same effect. In fact, all the android drum apps seem to have the latency problem so none of them are usable at this point unless you just want to make some random noise :(
Any ideas guys?
Cheers

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”