Are 64 bit native plugins of importance to you

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

How important are 64 bit native plugins for you personally?

I only use and buy 64 bit native plugins
43%
I only use and buy 32 bit plugins
13%
I prefer 64 bit but will use a bridge if necessary
26%
I really don't care i will use either
15%
I prefer smegma
2%

Total votes: 247

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Really wanting to know this after a recent argument in effects forum..

Like to get some KVR numbers.. good food for devs too.

This is a very cross platform question by it's nature so all i am worried about here is 64 bit not mac or win:)

I don't care..

i think we all know how i voted

:hihi:

debra1rlo wrote:i think we all know how i voted
what is smegma, anyway?

prepare to gag.

let's just say it's a smart ass play on the word fish.

x64 is important for me because most of the plugins I have are x64 now, and I really want to keep it that way (I don't like the idea of using bit bridges). I don't buy new plugins unless they are available as a x64 version.

For me having the plugins as a x64 is not only about the compatibility or ram usage. But it's also about workflow and keeping everything as simple as possible.

I guess I have double standards as I have many x32 freeware plugins that I can't stop using.
It's mostly VOS stuff and some others.

I don't care too .. :-)

_Currently using 32 bit
_Soon making the change to 64 bit
_Will have to bridge a couple of old faves
_Won't buy any new plugs that are not 64 bit
_Didn't vote as none of the options really matched my situation

samam well in this case please tick top option as "won't buy new plus that re not 64 bit"

that's good for devs to know because even though you have some 32 bit now and will bridge those you won't BUY any more..

and dammit i originally had "i will only buy 64 bit plugins from now on" in the poll, LOL.. oh well.

But choice 1 still makes sense for statistics for devs on whether they need to DO 64 bit versions

TheoM wrote:prepare to gag.
not always, one does build up a tolerance. ;)
humans are remarkably resilient. :borg:

bluedad wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:i think we all know how i voted
what is smegma, anyway?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=smegma ;)

Given a choice, I'm not sure why anyone would willingly choose to run plugs that could potentially disrupt their signal path.

When I first went x64, I ran a few bridged legacy x32 plugs. Problems persisted and eventually everything was updated and/or replaced.

I've said it before elsewhere:

We are now solidly in Win8. x64 is not a fad. It is now the current standard of our technology. You CANNOT, in 2013, release plugs that are NOT x64 and call yourself a serious developer.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

As a PT user, I obviously don't have much choice right now. But, as a Sonar user, the only 32-bit bridged plugins I still own and use are the few that I've had since before I made the jump to 64-bit and the developer has confirmed that 64-bit is on the way (e.g., Sound Toys, Obelisk). These days, I rarely buy a plugin unless it's available in both 64-bit VST and AAX (or at least RTAS and some indication that it will be AAX). I've got more plugins than I need so this personal rule keeps me from buying too many plugins, or at least helps me get the most out of my plugin purchases when I do.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

my(modest) understanding is that unless you're recording an big band with 64+ seperate audio tracks; 64 bit is completely un-nessacary

as Alfred E. Newman always says, "what; me worry ?"

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Return to “Instruments”