Studio One Tutorials?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cheers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

lingyai wrote:Does he describe it anywhere?
It's just a custom tool with a growing collection of add-on functionality.

Over the years I've always written little extensions to add functionality to a DAW I was using, so here I'm just assembling some of those ideas into one add-on application for Studio One. Most of the stuff in there is stuff I wanted for myself.

I'm a big believer in helping myself so I've always done this, but when you start sharing things like this publicly, you have to be a bit more careful with the coding.

Currently the functionality adds...

- A rudimentary external midi device manager.
- A metadata helper for storing and recalling sets of metadata.
- The chord generator thing which just kinda happened on a lark.
- The macro toolbar manager thing for swapping out toolbars easier.
- New in Beta 5, plugin favorites, drag and drop audio plugs from the add-on toolbar buttons, which may (emphasis on the "may") lead to a custom plugin management system of some kind later.

Some other potentially useful things being developed by some others will eventually show up in the same add-on and we'll remove parts as S1's real development makes any of it redundant.

As to the Mac side of things, I've not had the time nor the inclination to re-write all of this in something like Real Basic to make it cross platform. If anyone wants to do that, PM me for the source.

Hi LawrenceF, I didn't know that was you. I really got stuck into your tutorials the last couple of days and they are absolutely superb. So much knowledge imparted so well.

And some great sounding stuff you got going on there too.

Bookmarked your blog and enjoyed reading it and the ideas. Hoping to contribute at some point.

I installed your tool yesterday and it works really well so far. I haven't really tested it, but just installed it and clicked through the stuff and played about with the Chords feature. Nice. What .Net language did you use to code it in? I particularly like the way it sits at the top of the screen. That's a really nice way to include it. So functional and aesthetically pleasing too.

I only got my head around the whole Presonus Exchange thing yesterday. I had a nightmare installing it and understanding the concept. Then there was Macros which I tackled as well, which have got me all excited. And your tutorial on the subject really covers a lot of ground that no one else does.

Btw, did you include anywhere on the Exchange the macros you made up? I had a look but couldn't seem to find anything like them. Maybe I just looked in the wrong place or maybe you don't want to share for free. I would understand and respect that. A lot of work must have gone into making them up. And I never would have thought of them in the first place, but once you see them, you think, "ME WANT!".

I'm definitely going to be getting into this quite heavily. I'm looking forward to sharing them on the Exchange and providing the graphics to go with them, or at least links to freely available and royalty free ones. I'd rather spend my time making music and scripting than fafffing around re-inventing the wheel, for just a few icons.

If you don't include your macros for free, then I might have a go at re-creating them to just become acquainted with the whole process.

I've come across some quite serious and game-changing issues with Studio One as I delve deeper, and I've not had any luck in resolving them, so far, and SOME of them I think could really be explained a whole lot better by just knocking up a macro and posting it on the Exchange for anyone to dl. It is such a brilliant idea.

I am averse to having serious DAWS connected to the net, but my attitude is changing slowly as I have also been having a lot of fun with Ohm_Studio, whose whole raison d'être, obviously is to collaborate online. Serious DAW with some serious tools though. So far it reminds me of Studio One - streamlined, powerful, and beautiful to look at.

Anyway, thanks for the brilliant tutorials. You and jpettit are a force to be reckoned with!

cheers.

codec_spurt wrote:Btw, did you include anywhere on the Exchange the macros you made up? I had a look but couldn't seem to find anything like them.
cheers.
I uploaded some, but not all. I was making so many it just got a little tedious uploading them one at a time there, so I was mostly sharing them in zip files with people on the forum and/or just describing the steps there. I'll have another look at it all and see if there's a way to pack a bunch of macros into a Soundset. The Exchange doesn't take zip files.

Beside that, I was trying to kinda "nudge" people to create more of their own macros from scratch to solve their little issues, so often times I'd just post the steps to make people build them themselves rather than just post it, to get more people familiar with using it.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments re: the add-on. I hope some future versions of S1 will include some of those things (but obviously done much better than I did there) like the hardware device patch manager and the chord generator.
I've come across some quite serious and game-changing issues with Studio One as I delve deeper, and I've not had any luck in resolving them, so far, and SOME of them I think could really be explained a whole lot better by just knocking up a macro
A lot of stuff can. Sometimes it just takes a little thinking outside the box to find a path from A > B.

Best regards.

LawrenceF wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:Btw, did you include anywhere on the Exchange the macros you made up? I had a look but couldn't seem to find anything like them.
cheers.
I uploaded some, but not all. I was making so many it just got a little tedious uploading them one at a time there, so I was mostly sharing them in zip files with people on the forum and/or just describing the steps there. I'll have another look at it all and see if there's a way to pack a bunch of macros into a Soundset. The Exchange doesn't take zip files.
Yeah I noticed that, that you have to download them one at a time and there is no 'container' packing facility. I kept double-clicking and right-clicking on the root folder thinking it was some kind of container. Never mind, I'm sure they will implement something like that in the future. Makes sense, especially when people like yourself have got a whole suite of them to share - they want to make it as easy as possible. I'm sure lots of people would like to get their hands on them.

LawrenceF wrote: Beside that, I was trying to kinda "nudge" people to create more of their own macros from scratch to solve their little issues, so often times I'd just post the steps to make people build them themselves rather than just post it, to get more people familiar with using it.
Well, I did think that copying the logic behind what you did would be not only a good way to get acquainted with Macros in general, but also to see what else in under the hood as I am browsing through. I had no idea about the untapped power on store till I saw your tutorials. I recommend anybody who uses Studio One to look at them. I bet you will learn something. There's not many true Hackers out there using tools like this and sharing for free what they create and what they have picked up through hard graft. I felt queasy just having a quick look through at one point.

:shock:

You really showed the sheer amount of work that has gone into developing this program. I just can't believe there are all those functions ready programmed to be taken advantage of by anybody with a bit of will and patience. Something about teaching a man to fish and all that...

LawrenceF wrote: Anyway, thanks for the compliments re: the add-on. I hope some future versions of S1 will include some of those things (but obviously done much better than I did there) like the hardware device patch manager and the chord generator.

When I first installed it, I was looking for it in the Macro bar, then I noticed it at the top of the screen and I just smiled and went:"Nice". I'm looking forward to trying it out a bit more. So thank YOU for providing it for free.
LawrenceF wrote: Sometimes it just takes a little thinking outside the box to find a path from A > B.
Best regards.
Well, I'm slowly working through them and getting my head around it all. There are some things that are just not possible with Studio One as wonderful as it is. And it does some things totally differently to most other apps. I set up a ticket for support from them over a day ago and they still haven't even opened it or even sent me a confirmation email they have received it, unlike most other companies who at least acknowledge they have got it. Oh well, maybe they are busy. I can wait a little while. I'll get an answer soon I'm sure. I may have to get my head around doing some things a bit differently, but with such a major leap forward in power and flexibility, must come a little pain, I guess.

cheers.

codec_spurt wrote: There are some things that are just not possible with Studio One as wonderful as it is.
cheers.
That's very true.

Macros are a wonderful thing but they don't cover every situation. OTOH, sometimes a thing is possible but we give up trying to solve it after a certain amount of effort.

Some of the more complex macros I've writeen for Studio One (like storing recalling automation envelopes) were my 3rd or 4th go at it, after failing a few times with some other approaches. But (...my reasoning anyway...),no matter how long it takes, it's still faster than waiting for it to show up as a native feature next year. :)

But there's no doubt about it (to your point) sometimes you try 3-4-5 different approaches with macros and eventually come to the conclusion that a particular thing simply just isn't possible at all.

But it's often fun to try anyway. :)

It can be frustrating at times, especially after having scripted so many things in apps like Excel or whatever where you pretty much have total control over everything... so... like Reaper... it needs an API.

LawrenceF wrote: Some of the more complex macros I've writeen for Studio One (like storing recalling automation envelopes) were my 3rd or 4th go at it, after failing a few times with some other approaches. But (...my reasoning anyway...),no matter how long it takes, it's still faster than waiting for it to show up as a native feature next year. :)
True that. That's what I aim to use it for. If it can be done and it's something I think I will use in the future. I'll assume that if I want it and I'll use it again, then, someone somewhere will find it useful and I'll upload it to the Exchange. I don't mind sharing pretty much anything I've done as long as it isn't too painful to share. Container folders aside, the concept of the Exchange seems to make things quicker and easier to share. But yes, container wise, it is a pain to be slowed down at that point, when the rest of the process is so quick. It's frustrating, but I'm sure they realise this and will sort it out.

LawrenceF wrote: It can be frustrating at times, especially after having scripted so many things in apps like Excel or whatever where you pretty much have total control over everything... so... like Reaper... it needs an API.

NOoooo! :x Then we'd really get lost down the Rabbit hole, and wouldn't get ANY music done at all. :hihi:

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Check out the AskVideo's Studio One tutorials as well.

https://www.askvideo.com/courses/application/studioone (https://www.askvideo.com/courses/application/studioone)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”