Ableton Survey - Would you recommend Ableton Live?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Yes it's official, I also got the link via email from Ableton. It did strike me as a very short survey, though.

Peace,
Andy.
Didn't get one yet. If I had one that might have not made me think about this, but strange that it wasn't front and center on the site :shrug:

Curious to know what others think? I've always used Live in conjunction with a more traditional DAW, either Logic or Digital Performer. I've used and owned Live since version 3, and although I write and perform in Live, I don't think I'd ever want to do without a larger more complex DAW like DP for mixing, SysEx, CC editing, and linear arrangement compositions.

"Would you recommend Ableton Live?"

No. To me it's just bizarre looking and I just can't get my head around it.
Now the proud owner of an avid 11 Rack, Running Pro Tools 10.3.3 - for me it's heaven!

If no one mentions the PDC issue in the survey.. I doubt they will take it any more seriously than they have in the past.

in fact that is probably why they have this survey. to see how many people actually don't know what it is or care..

just speculation of course

Would you recommend Live as a DAW?

NO

Would you recommend Live as a multitrack CD player?

YES

I did have big hopes about Live, since 2.1 days. Not anymore.

I gave it a 8

said they got to fix PDC so people quit bashing it.

I forgot to mention envelope snapping though :dog:
:borg:

agreed

People are plenty pissed about it, that's all I can say :lol:

Intro only allows 4 VST instruments loaded at a time (I can use that many to layer a single pad - basslines can use up to 3). Way too low.

Cost to upgrade is insane (I suspect it will cost the same to upgrade Live as it would be to buy Bitwig Studio retail)

PDC

Dual monitor support

Love the original idea of Live, but think the finance department is running things at Ableton these days.

The different various upgrade pricing schemes mean they are trying to nickle and dime as best as possible. If you have v8 Gangnam Style edition, you pay 224 dollars. If you have v7 Bundled turd edition, you pay 312 dollars. Unless the moon is full and it is the 3rd Thursday of the month.. then you pay 256 dollars.

At this point, they have a major competitor (or rather, will in 5 or 6 months when it's released :hihi:) in Bitwig Studio. I look forward to seeing what that does to Live's retail price. Well, that is if Bitwig price their software lower. In any case, with development, they can't keep playing the same game anymore. But, if they choose to, I'm sure Bitwig will thank them.

VitaminD wrote:(I suspect it will cost the same to upgrade Live as it would be to buy Bitwig Studio retail)
I'd just buy bitwig............wait...........you can't.............DOH!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”