2012 purchase regrets?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I regret not taking advantage of NI's 50% off black Friday sale. Now I'll have to wait until next year :(

jacqueslacouth wrote:DIVA and Omnisphere, never again will I listen to the hype.
I have to think that if you're not happy with those, you won't be happy with any VST synth.

filter303 wrote:Something that I really regret buying is Studio One v2 because I am extremely disappointed of it's high cpu usage. I expected the issue to be solved with the last big update, but I ended up being wrong. Many plugins I own need about 4-5x less cpu if I use Reaper.
I like the DAW itself but the CPU problems make it useless for me. Using studio one makes my computer look like I never updated it after my Q6600.
There is no way I am ever going to upgrade to V3 if they don't fix this. It simply does not matter to me how many new features they add if it uses CPU the way it does now.
This. I like the DAW, but it is missing quite a bit. Should have gone to Sonar, X2 seems quite nice.

filter303 wrote:Something that I really regret buying is Studio One v2 because I am extremely disappointed of it's high cpu usage.
Have you checked the S1 forums about this? I switched from Cubase 6 to S1 and am able to run about 15-20% more plugs now. Weird your CPU is actually higher???

Sonar X1. Well idk if regret is the right word more like disappointed. I love Sonar but hate that it doesn't work right with Reason or my audio interface.

donato wrote:
filter303 wrote:Something that I really regret buying is Studio One v2 because I am extremely disappointed of it's high cpu usage.
Have you checked the S1 forums about this? I switched from Cubase 6 to S1 and am able to run about 15-20% more plugs now. Weird your CPU is actually higher???
Maybe I should read S1 forums more often, but I have tried to find the answer for my problems from various places and I can't seem to the solution. I remember reading some other people complaining about the same thing.
If I remember it right there was none of these issues in V1.

Aalto. Great sounding synth, but I'm not cool with adding an extra 6ms latency to my entire Ableton set. Now I cant sell it. But of course both of these things I could have found out before buying so my bad.

gone
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ableton Suite - Should have just gotten Live. I've never used the Suite instruments in a single project. And now I've pretty much switched back to Cubase anyway. I like having Live around for experimentation, but Suite was a waste.

Waves Tune - Probabaly a fine product, but I got it so I'd have vocal tuning support in Ableton Live... but then I discovered that it's completely unsupported in Live (my fault for not checking the compatibility list- although that list doesn't cover everything, and leaves out some details)- and Cubase already has VariAudio. :(

Maschine - As much as I think it's a well-made product with a great sound library, I just never freaking use it. Just packed it up and put it in the basement last week. If I don't use it in the next year, I'll get rid of it.

Waldorf Edition - There was a big sale a few months ago, but I'm never gonna use these things.

ON THE FENCE: MIDI Quest 10 - I bought this in December after working with the demo almost daily for 2 weeks. I researched alternatives, and MIDI Quest was the only currently-produced package that supported all of my hardware synths (D-110, MKS-50/70/80/7, SY85). Unfortunately, the feature I wanted most (VST mode) was not available in the demo, so I bought the program in faith. It didn't work out. And even just as a straight editor/librarian, I run into quirks and bugs every time I use it. I really need SOMETHING to edit patches on my rack synths because going through the front panel is just torture. Haven't completely given up yet, but getting close.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Aalto. Great sounding synth, but I'm not cool with adding an extra 6ms latency to my entire Ableton set. Now I cant sell it. But of course both of these things I could have found out before buying so my bad.
Why is it adding 6ms of latency? Seems odd for a synth :-o

I regret Image-Line's Groove Machine .. should've demoed it. Bought it mainly as a "revenge" at Maschine's crappy software sequencer .. but no, it didn't make me feel better :?
However, on the other side, I also bought Drumaxx which has turned out to be my best* purchase this year! Well worth the price of both :D
Other things i regret is having to sell Ace, Diva and Oxium..
Hmm.. not really a regret as i got it for free but NI's Massive Maschine edition. Used it once :P

*shared with Mulab (try beta of version 5 guys!!!) and mux if it was 2012 i bought it :)
:hug:

Kontakt.

I really love my sf2s, and free kontakt presets that I have accumulated for it and I wanted to use it to possibly use just 1 sampler to use for everything. For me personally... I just don't like the workflow. I just don't like the modular approach and for me its too hard to set up modulations & customize. It's a great sampler & I can see why it's number one.... but just not for me. I'm better off just using the player for 30 minutes or converting my files to sfz.

Unfortunately, I still havent found a sampler that fits for me. I would've rather received Independence but there are no 3rd party libraries & registration is a pain. Mach5 & Halion4 use dongles & are too expensive.

I think I'm better off in the free market for my samplers using my host (Orion & Reaper for simple stuff), Zampler & Shortcircuit for drums, sf2s & simple playback/manipulation, Wusikstation & Sampletank for libraries.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Massive was an impulse buy. No big regrets, though, but I just don't use it that much for anything.

Saukar30 wrote:Kontakt.

It's a great sampler....
Well - it's a "sampler" that doesn't actually sample :hihi:
No auto tune...

Chromaphone. maybe this is sacrilege, but it sounds kind of dated to me (like an old This Mortal Coil record) and uses a lot of CPU (which would be fine if i liked the sound of it more). I think it's probably a great synth for someone, but not for me. I never like the sound of physical modeling though.

Just dawned on me: we should move this thread to the marketplace and start wheeling and dealing with each other. :)
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

DIVA

I regret not getting it.
:wink:

Return to “Instruments”