2012 purchase regrets?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Saukar30 wrote:Kontakt. [...] It's a great sampler & I can see why it's number one....
Not in my books. Machfive3 is superior and much more user friendly. Kontakt is rated high because it's one of the first VST samplers and has alot of library developers. My 2C.
Cowbells!

Lexicon MPX200: I bought it second hand, but I should have though better. It hums a lot and I hear that noise on the speakers, I really can't stand it... it doesn't end into the recordings, but I can't work with that noise in the background.
So one day I decided to modify it by putting the power transformer into an external box, but something went wrong so now the device needs to be repaired and I'll probably need help from a qualified technician (I'm a programmer...).

I could have bought a few plugins with that money instead of that device and I would have avoided a lot of problems and frustration. :( And I eventually ended up buying an MPX Native license; obviously there are differences, the plugin is easier to use, it integrates better in my workflow, it supports higher samplerates; the drawbacks are that it uses my daw cpu and that it doesn't have and ambience algorithm (and maybe I miss one of the pitch/detune presets, which I used sometimes).

Using Audiomidi on the 21st December 2012 to buy PolyKB II Player.

They have still not delivered, and now the shop is almost empty, yet took the money.

So my worst purchase of 2012. :x

EDIT: THANKS XILS LAB FOR SORTING THIS ONE OUT!
Last edited by breakmixer on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacqueslacouth wrote:DIVA and Omnisphere, never again will I listen to the hype.
Hype? DIVA is the best sounding synth plugin on this planet, I would kill the person who would try to steal it away from me..

Ok.. I would knot kill, but I would become very angry!!
dblock wrote:Has to be the Lush 101. Not that it's a bad synth but the cpu is so heavy I can't even use it with my current setup.
Try making your own sounds. Why?

1) It's a lot of fun making your own sounds!
2) You can keep the cpu load from becoming to high

I have a project that contains 12 instances of LuSH and I can happily play it in realtime on my Core i5 3470.
Last edited by solidtrax on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Nice thread :-)

I don't regret any purchase although I feel sometimes I shouldn't purchased Morphine as I didn't need it because I have Harmor and NI Razor.

I don't think I'll use it a lot as it's a time consuming to get a good sound from it but for $45 it is pretty good for learning and sound design :D

i don't regret any purchases, i regret not having enough patience to wait for sales :-D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

5 different category of regrets:

1. Plugin ain't good
2. Plugin is OK but you can't use it
3. Plugin is OK but now you can get it much cheaper
4. Plugin was OK but now you notice there are better alternatives in the market
5. Plugin is OK, basicly you can use it but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere

All kind of mix of these 5 categories. One specical case (but not very seldom)
is where you first have great expectations, you buy this expensive plugin, then you get dissapointed and regret, but during a longer time you learn how to use the plugin and you enjoy it. H.

i got maschine and Komplete 8 this year

i dont regret the purchases, but i do regret the fact that i havent found enough time to use them to their full potential

does anyone sell extra hours in the day? ;)

breakmixer wrote:
EDIT: XILS LAB ARE SORTING THIS OUT FOR ME - MANY THANKS XAVIER!

Using Audiomidi on the 21st December 2012 to buy PolyKB II Player.

They have still not delivered, and now the shop is almost empty, yet took the money.

So my worst purchase of 2012. :x

Synth Squad was like more than $200 when i bought it - haven't used it hardly at all... its sound is good - i guess that i don't like its interface or high CPU usage.. Diva just comes to my mind faster or ACE for lightweight analog..

MAGMA, because I bought it with the promise/knowledge it was getting some cool updates (like loading external VST's) very soon, and they will indeed come very soon, but all of a sudden they will require i-Lok in order to use :-o :shock: :(
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Omnisphere and Stylus RMX... I bought Trillian too all in one bundle and its the only one i really use.

I like all the sounds in stylus but it would be better off if it was just a big sample pack. The interface just gets in the way of my workflow.

Omnisphere sounds amazing when you browse through all the patches but i find it difficult to use them in anything. Again the interface could have a better flow.

ford442 wrote:Synth Squad was like more than $200 when i bought it - haven't used it hardly at all... its sound is good - i guess that i don't like its interface or high CPU usage.. Diva just comes to my mind faster or ACE for lightweight analog..
If I look at our latest projects, Strobe (from Synth Squad) is the most used synth plugin together with DIVA and LuSH-101. All these synth plugins sound amazing and really compliment each other perfectly! No regrets at all buying these!!
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Arturia V-Collection 3. In 2012, I went from the MiniMoog V, to adding the 61 Key + Laboratory ( still have, and use the keyboard which is great IMO), to picking up the entire V-Collection 3 during a sale. The software in this collection that intrigued me the most, would crash Logic Pro fairly regular. Unable to get Arturia support for the issue - I sold all the software synths and moved on. Ultimately, I switched software plugin-ins (beyond Logic's synths) to u-he products. Lesson learned. . . support can be critical.

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD0eb0tDjIk

:hihi:

Return to “Instruments”