Can I buy Windows 8 online upgrade and NOT install it?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Weird question - not really :)
Seems that the Windows 8 price is going to rise soon. Right now you can get an 'upgrade' for $40 (and perhaps even $15 - there was a thread about it somewhere).
I'd like to grab a cheap copy for the future just in case, but my Win 7 system is working fine and I have no desire to change OS right now.

So if I buy the upgrade, can I just download it and keep it on a disk for later, or is it one of those 'automated online install' things (which the world could really do without IMHO).

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 98#5212998

that's exactly what i did. Don't want it on my computer before sp1 (or sp2), so i went for the backup dvd, but afak you can just download the iso and install later.

You can purchase it now and after it completes the download, it asks you what to do. From memory, it gives the option to install it right away, or put it on a USB key for example or burn to disc or something. I have chosen to put in on a USB. I installed it two weeks later and never regretted updating to Win8, but I did it because my Win7 was not working so smooth anymore and since I had to reinstall Windows anyway, why not install Win8.

I installed it from USB 3.0 key to a SSD in 7 minutes, installing Windows was never that fast (not for me anyway)! :-)
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

I moved to Win 8 this weekend. It gives you 3 options exactly as solidtrax mentioned above. I created a DVD and clean installed Win 8. Everything is working smoothly. My laptop touchpad did give some headache but it's fixed now.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

The key you get is for a full version (not upgrade) of Windows 8 Professional. It's sent to you in email and then you are given the option to burn an ISO to install Windows 8 later. It's what I did.

One thing worth mentioning though: Media Center free codes will stop working as of Jan 31. The only way to activate a media center code is to install Windows 8 and then add the code to it. If you don't care about media center this isn't a big deal.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ture-packs

If you have a spare hard drive it might be worth installing to get the Media center option linked with your Windows 8 key.

Thanks everybody for the concise information :) Much appreciated.

bmrzycki wrote:The key you get is for a full version (not upgrade) of Windows 8 Professional. It's sent to you in email and then you are given the option to burn an ISO to install Windows 8 later. It's what I did.

One thing worth mentioning though: Media Center free codes will stop working as of Jan 31. The only way to activate a media center code is to install Windows 8 and then add the code to it. If you don't care about media center this isn't a big deal.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ture-packs

If you have a spare hard drive it might be worth installing to get the Media center option linked with your Windows 8 key.
Its currently ten bucks.
VLC is pretty much the best player though and can play just about anything straight out of the box
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”