2012 purchase regrets?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

revo11 wrote:Absynth is not terrible, my issue is the quality of the oscillators and effects isn't particularly inspiring. I'm not sure if it's an aliasing issue or what, but my reaction to most absynth patches is, "that's kindof a cool processing/modulation concept, but the sound itself isn't that great". With zebra, even the pure oscillators sound damn good.
You do know that each (non-sample) oscillator in Absynth has an oversampling toggle? It's a little staircase button in top left corner of each oscillator.
dalor wrote:
Saukar30 wrote:Kontakt. [...] It's a great sampler & I can see why it's number one....
Not in my books. Machfive3 is superior and much more user friendly. Kontakt is rated high because it's one of the first VST samplers and has alot of library developers. My 2C.

It is superior only in SOME aspects, but certainly not all of them. Kontakt is still the king with its DFD performance since it allows you to set MUCH smaller DFD buffers than MF3 (down to 6 KB, which is awesome if you have your libraries on an SSD), and it also supports multicore processing, whereas MF3 doesn't. Also, Kontakt simply works better and more optimized w.r.t CPU and RAM usage, especially for very big instruments (I think the maximum limit of groups you could have per MF3 instance is around 1800, this is nothing for some Kontakt libraries which use this in a SINGLE PATCH).

Then again, MF3 has better effects, slicker interface, synth engine, so it's really apples and oranges in the end. MF3 does not replace Kontakt, or vice versa. It's a good addition, but some things are still done much better by Kontakt, and this will very likely continue to be the trend.

My regret of 2012: Magix Independence. I still don't have it registered because their activation scheme purely blows!

JoeCat wrote:I bought SynthSquad during the sale and don't regret it, but I can see where someone more reliant on presets would be somewhat disappointed. FXpansion took some flack also for their Tremor presets. I think there's a tendency towards the "big and dirty". But under the hood I think it's all quality stuff.
Agreed. I bought those last year during their sale didn't use it for months because i couldn't get past how awful the presets were. But when I finally started tweaking it from scratch I realized what an awesome set of synths those are.

Not sure if I bought it last year or late 2011.. but Zeta+ v2 was a big disappointment for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the original's slushy filters.

But Cakewalk seemed to have taken it and sharpened the sound.. now it sounds brittle to me... harsh..

Makes wonderful bellish tones though.. I'm sure I'll find a use for it eventually.. so not really a regret. More of a mild disappointment it wasn't more than it was.. esp after all of the cakewalk hype leading to it's release.

classic wrote:Regrets. Well, Rapture and Karma FX Modular.
They sound.................horrible, both.
Mmmmm...Rapture sounds horrible ?

Are you ears OK ? :wink:
VitaminD wrote:Zeta+ v2 was a big disappointment for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the original's slushy filters.

But Cakewalk seemed to have taken it and sharpened the sound.. now it sounds brittle to me... harsh..
Another great sounding synth and really close to hardware in my books...

Harsh sounding filters ?

Well there are a few low pass filters there (12,24 and 36dB) and you can chain them together if you really want to slug the sound :wink:

I think that Z3TA+ 2 is a fantastic synth and the mechanics at Cakewalk really did a great job improving on the original...

Z3TA+ and Rapture are two of my favourite soft synths...

No regrets at all :love:
Last edited by digitalboytn on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
No auto tune...

Aiynzahev wrote:Not Brainworx XL?
Not a regret per se as it sounds good and was at a decent price even though it uses ridiculous CPU, I was just pissed they came out with a paid update 3 days after the sale (which immediately devalued my product and was also such a blatant and cheap sales trick) and also that it took 3 days to install. It all seems to have put me off PA plugins altogether now, so it's PA who should regret this the most since I buy quite a lot of plugins.

NI Vintage organs, one of the models is just completely unusable, not that the rest of the models don't sound good but I could've gotten VB3 which sounds a lot better for 24€ less.

looking thru my VST folder to recall what I actually bought last year :

Ozone 5 - love it for how it simplifys the "mastering" step of my mixes
Rapture - this synth has ten thousand layers, ask me again in two years when I've actually scratched the surface of what this thing can really do
CamelPhat - don't think it's nearly the tool that CSpace is but very servicable efx for what it is

I guess the one I'm least crazy about is GEN16 DV Zildjian cymbals from fxpansion. It really does sounds fantastic but the interface / pattern machine is beyond stupid-clunky. If I really want to use it properly; I need to also buy BFD for another $200 & learn to sequence that with the cymbals plugged into it. I already have Geist and uTonic for drums . . .

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I regret buying Z3TA+ 2

JoeCat wrote:I bought SynthSquad during the sale and don't regret it, but I can see where someone more reliant on presets would be somewhat disappointed. FXpansion took some flack also for their Tremor presets. I think there's a tendency towards the "big and dirty". But under the hood I think it's all quality stuff.

I wish they'd update SS with their new, "clean" UI look - especially for Cypher; it would go a long way towards making it easier to see what's going on.
They released SS before anyone had completely figured out what Cypher could do and how to do it. (hm, then again will anyone ever completely figure it out? Dunno) The Himalaya expansions are terrific. Everyone with SS should get at least one. I think I'll also pick up Cypherdelics while the expansions are 50% off. But yeah, a lot of the factory library is not super exciting. FXpansion ought to bundle a limited sampler of the expansion sets with the factory library.

digitalboytn wrote:
classic wrote:Regrets. Well, Rapture and Karma FX Modular.
They sound.................horrible, both.
Mmmmm...Rapture sounds horrible ?

Are you ears OK ? :wink:
VitaminD wrote:Zeta+ v2 was a big disappointment for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the original's slushy filters.

Another great sounding synth and really close to hardware in my books...

Harsh sounding filters ?

Well there are a few low pass filters there (12,24 and 36dB) and you can chain them together if you really want to slug the sound :wink:

I think that Z3TA+ 2 is a fantastic synth and the mechanics at Cakewalk really did a great job improving on the original...

Z3TA+ and Rapture are two of my favourite soft synths...

No regrets at all :love:
I'm glad you enjoy your purchase.

danbroad wrote:Zebra. It's nice, but it didn't blow me away. Sorry, Urs. i can see how some folks would love it, but it just isn't for me
What can we do to unregret Zeebs for you?

-> http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=176001

I paid full price for Geist, what a sucker :roll:
Would have been way cheaper if Id bought it a month earlier or a month later!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Urs wrote:
danbroad wrote:Zebra. It's nice, but it didn't blow me away. Sorry, Urs. i can see how some folks would love it, but it just isn't for me
What can we do to unregret Zeebs for you?

-> http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=176001
Wow! what a nice follow up! :tu:

Now I regret not buying Zebra or other plugins from U-he. I need to save more money now :cry:

Hey Urs, thanks for the sentiment - I'm in no doubt that yours is the best aftersales package in the business. There's nothing wrong with Zebra, and certainly nothing that needs 'fixing', I'm just not engaging with it as much as I thought I might. It's the old 'it's not you, it's me' speech.....!
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Some bananas that were too green about a couple of months ago - they went bad before they got to the point that they were edible.

Other than that nothing music related.

Return to “Instruments”