Are 64 bit native plugins of importance to you

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

How important are 64 bit native plugins for you personally?

I only use and buy 64 bit native plugins
43%
I only use and buy 32 bit plugins
13%
I prefer 64 bit but will use a bridge if necessary
26%
I really don't care i will use either
15%
I prefer smegma
2%

Total votes: 247

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm just curious. How many people here asking for 64-bit plugins actually make their daily living making music and using these plugins?

Please, tell your story re: how this is keeping you from earning your living.

I still use a couple of 32-bit things, but I wouldn't tend to buy anything that isn't x64.

billcarroll wrote:I'm just curious. How many people here asking for 64-bit plugins actually make their daily living making music and using these plugins?

Does it matter if we make money from it or not? i am sure that most of us choose 64 bit plugins simply for convenience and not to put ourSELVES out.. simply if we are running a 64 bit host as many are, and would rather straight up plug in compatibility.

Let's not do the "good music was made on 4 track cassette tapes" argument again.

TheoM wrote:
billcarroll wrote:I'm just curious. How many people here asking for 64-bit plugins actually make their daily living making music and using these plugins?

Does it matter if we make money from it or not? i am sure that most of us choose 64 bit plugins simply for convenience and not to put ourSELVES out.. simply if we are running a 64 bit host as many are, and would rather straight up plug in compatibility.

Let's not do the "good music was made on 4 track cassette tapes" argument again.
Not sure how you are reading my post, however, don't you think some stories like this might be a strong argument?

I prefer 64-bit plugins and am looking forward to moving to working in a 64-bit DAW, but I really don't bump up against the limitations of 32-bit at the moment. I'm also not doing a lot of Orchestral Score work :)

In some cases, just one instrument patch in Kontakt can be over 1GB, such as in Venus Symphonic Choir. 64bit is a must if you're working with that type of stuff.

Only use 64. No 64 = no moneys from me.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I suggest you to read this very interesting article, written & explained by an actual plugin developer, Melda Production. It might clear some points for some: http://www.meldaproduction.com/audiotut ... 32vs64.php

:)

Neon Breath wrote:I suggest you to read this very interesting article, written & explained by an actual plugin developer, Melda Production. It might clear some points for some: http://www.meldaproduction.com/audiotut ... 32vs64.php

:)
Well for me it just stems back to Presonus Studio One. I found that for version 1 the 64-bit ran so much smoother and quicker than the 32-bit version.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

BERFAB wrote:x64 is not a fad. It is now the current standard of our technology. You CANNOT, in 2013, release plugs that are NOT x64 and call yourself a serious developer.
Why I more or less gave up on SynthMaker/FlowStone.

Might be missing OSX? I guess we should have a survey every 6 months to see the trends...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 79#5044079

This is one reason why I don't care yet for the 64bit:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... ?p=1128709

I don't know if the above problem exists in OSX but in Windows with Cubase 64bit it is awful :-( (The standalone also suffers from this as I suppose it is 64bit!)

So for now I'm still using the 32bit version mainly but I would move to 64bit when it can run the main plugins I use without problems.

Soundtoys Radiator is the only 32bit plugin we have and it's the only plugin that causes problems. Loading it for the first time takes 15 seconds, having a few instances causes ASIO spikes and as a result, audio playback is not solid anymore. More often than not, we have to disable these again to have a perfectly fine stable session again.

I hope the 64bit version of Radiator will solve this problem!
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

EnGee wrote:This is one reason why I don't care yet for the 64bit:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... ?p=1128709

I don't know if the above problem exists in OSX but in Windows with Cubase 64bit it is awful :-( (The standalone also suffers from this as I suppose it is 64bit!)

So for now I'm still using the 32bit version mainly but I would move to 64bit when it can run the main plugins I use without problems.
please don't think because of this one FM8 problem that it's a 64 bit problem in general. I do understand if FM8 is important to you but 64 bit in general is not more or less reliable than 32, it just so happens that NI's 64 bit version of FM8 is broken, sadly.

DId you try bridging the 32 bit FM8 using Jbridge, so you can enjoy 64 bit and only have that one bridged plug in?

billcarroll wrote:
TheoM wrote:

Not sure how you are reading my post, however, don't you think some stories like this might be a strong argument?

I prefer 64-bit plugins and am looking forward to moving to working in a 64-bit DAW, but I really don't bump up against the limitations of 32-bit at the moment. I'm also not doing a lot of Orchestral Score work :)
Well as far as reading your intention, you have the answer in your last sentence, and you know it. People that are say, busy as an orchestrator, let alone as a composer doing their own orch., do not have time for dicking around with the running out of memory at all. So it reads as bait for argumentation to me. "however, don't you think some stories like this might be a strong argument" for what? Having a harder time because you think it's more charming? You're looking to argue! :lol:

I don't make a living at it as I am underemployed. But one of my strengths is fast turnaround and my templates are largely 64-bit and additionally in VE Pro because of the efficiency. I have some experience with the old ways, I assure you.

I'm not making money from music; I think that using 32-bit plugins (and, in general, outdated technology) don't stop you from making a living but they will eventually reflect in higher migration costs when you'll be forced to move to new technologic solutions (migrations are unavoidables, anybody faces them sooner or later).
Even an old piece of technology does the job if there are no alternative tools, but as general rule it is not a very smart move to buy something that is becoming outdated when there are alternatives... if what you earn from thanks to the outdated tool justifies the migration cost you'll face in future, then I'm cool with that; otherwise I think it's more savy to spend money on the latest current industry standard.
I don't mean to rush for each new things that comes out everyday, but to have a long time view and plan of the direction things are going to and then to follow that wave, trying to avoid too much strong ties so you can easily adapt your plan if you need to.

Anyway this is just my point of view... maybe I'm influenced by my IT studies (that I'm very close to end... hopefully!) and the fact that I really hate migrations and complications in general (I'm a very lazy man!).

bluedad wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:i think we all know how i voted
what is smegma, anyway?
It's like...white cheese :P

Return to “Instruments”