What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Can just any sampler do this or is it unique to rayblaster?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
 
7903 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:22 am

ThomasHelzle wrote:

BTW:
What is the problem with you rayblaster evangelists? Why do you feel it necessary to iterate five million times how great it is and how unrivalled? I'm sure it's cool but why that overprotectionism?

If you were involved with Rayblaster from the start during Beta testing, creating waveforms for it from scratch, by doing tons of single cycles of other synths and finally creating around 160+ presets and then audio demos you would be a bit "overprotective" too maybe.

The combination of ALL features in Rayblaster still seems to be quite unique. Two examples are the Osc windows and the PW sequences. Picking out a few and saying that this other synth is similar to Rayblaster is not correct IMO.

For example Harmor is based on an additive engine and Rayblaster is not. That's already a big difference. Then Harmor does include a certain amount of filter modes. Rayblaster does create the filter response based on the waveform you "feed" into it which could either lead to something like an emulation or lead to some crazy "fantasy filters" with big changes in the timbre while turning the Formant knob.


Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Reaper / Studio One 2.6 / Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + Tone 2 plugins + others
User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
 
7903 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:08 am

pdxindy wrote:Useful maybe, but it never actually emulates even a basic LPF... it can sound kinda like a LPF over a short range but that is it... It is a different thing altogether and (imo) should be appreciated for what it is, not presented as something it isn't

I tried to explain thise here a while ago (using screenshots and audio demos):

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=765


Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Reaper / Studio One 2.6 / Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + Tone 2 plugins + others
User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
 
7903 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 am

Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 am, edited 9 times in total.
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Reaper / Studio One 2.6 / Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + Tone 2 plugins + others
tenshin111
KVRist
 
383 posts since 12 Jan, 2008, from Sweden

Postby tenshin111; Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 am

ThomasHelzle wrote:BTW:
What is the problem with you rayblaster evangelists? Why do you feel it necessary to iterate five million times how great it is and how unrivalled? I'm sure it's cool but why that overprotectionism? Some people like it, others don't and the op actually asked if other synths/samplers can do something similar to the posted example.
And the answer is simply "Yes, many".

Just cool down a bit, won't you?
Breathe.

It's really getting annoying.


Agreed.
User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
 
33538 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:33 am

Ingonator wrote:The combination of ALL features in Rayblaster still seems to be quite unique. Two examples are the Osc windows and the PW sequences. Picking out a few and saying that this other synth is similar to Rayblaster is not correct IMO.


but the question was about specific features, which are available in many other synth/samplers.
User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
 
7903 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:40 am

*edited*
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Reaper / Studio One 2.6 / Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + Tone 2 plugins + others
User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
 
33538 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:45 am

Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:
Ingonator wrote:The combination of ALL features in Rayblaster still seems to be quite unique. Two examples are the Osc windows and the PW sequences. Picking out a few and saying that this other synth is similar to Rayblaster is not correct IMO.


but the question was about specific features, which are available in many other synth/samplers.

I posted several demos above which show a nice selection of possible timbres for Rayblaster.


Ingo


but they have absolutely no connection to the ops question.
User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
 
7903 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 am

vurt wrote:
but they have absolutely no connection to the ops question.


Sure they have. They show how broad the spectrum of possible timbres of Rayblaster is. For one example it would be possible to find a synth that does them but for ALL of those it is more difficult so those are directly related to the OP...

One type of synth that comes to my mind is a wavetable synth like e.g. Largo but that one will have problems doing granular style sounds.
Then there is Alchemy but that one could have problems with the wavetable like sounds and maybe also some others.


Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Reaper / Studio One 2.6 / Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + Tone 2 plugins + others
Kriminal
KVRAF
 
18413 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:07 am

Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:
but they have absolutely no connection to the ops question.


Sure they have. They show how broad the spectrum of possible timbres of Rayblaster is. For one example it would be possible to find a synth that does them but for ALL of those it is more difficult so those are directly related to the OP...



that wasnt the question:

Aiynzahev wrote:Not trying to spam but I'd just really like to know if you guys have found this kind of sample manipulation in other samplers

http://soundcloud.com/aiyn-zahev/raybla ... -brilliant

The sample is just a girl going "Hey, hey" and the guy says "don't stop, party rock"

Thing is as far as I remember all thats happening here is the modwheel is changing the start position in the sample and the sample is being looped in some way.

I'd have to take a look at the patches again because I forget what was going on now.

Also anyone here got the Roland V-synth? Does it do stuff like this?

Sami
User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
 
7903 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:10 am

Kriminal wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:
but they have absolutely no connection to the ops question.


Sure they have. They show how broad the spectrum of possible timbres of Rayblaster is. For one example it would be possible to find a synth that does them but for ALL of those it is more difficult so those are directly related to the OP...



that wasnt the question:

Aiynzahev wrote:Not trying to spam but I'd just really like to know if you guys have found this kind of sample manipulation in other samplers

http://soundcloud.com/aiyn-zahev/raybla ... -brilliant

The sample is just a girl going "Hey, hey" and the guy says "don't stop, party rock"

Thing is as far as I remember all thats happening here is the modwheel is changing the start position in the sample and the sample is being looped in some way.

I'd have to take a look at the patches again because I forget what was going on now.

Also anyone here got the Roland V-synth? Does it do stuff like this?

Sami

Hi Kriminal,

still posting on Tone2 thread? We both know that you hardly find a good word for those...


Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Reaper / Studio One 2.6 / Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + Tone 2 plugins + others
User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
 
33538 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:17 am

its not a tone2 thread, its a kvr instruments forum thread, asking if anything other than rayblaster can do something specific.
are you saying that no other sampler can do what the op asked?

most sample players (probably all, i havent used them all) can do the specific things asked about.

there was no "so what sounds is rayblaster capable of?" there was a specific question, which your audio demos in no way answer.
Kriminal
KVRAF
 
18413 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:24 am

Ingonator wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:
but they have absolutely no connection to the ops question.


Sure they have. They show how broad the spectrum of possible timbres of Rayblaster is. For one example it would be possible to find a synth that does them but for ALL of those it is more difficult so those are directly related to the OP...



that wasnt the question:

Aiynzahev wrote:Not trying to spam but I'd just really like to know if you guys have found this kind of sample manipulation in other samplers

http://soundcloud.com/aiyn-zahev/raybla ... -brilliant

The sample is just a girl going "Hey, hey" and the guy says "don't stop, party rock"

Thing is as far as I remember all thats happening here is the modwheel is changing the start position in the sample and the sample is being looped in some way.

I'd have to take a look at the patches again because I forget what was going on now.

Also anyone here got the Roland V-synth? Does it do stuff like this?

Sami

Hi Kriminal,

still posting on Tone2 thread? We both know that you hardly find a good word for those...

Is posting a bunch of audio demos for Rayblaster be wrong to show how Rayblaster sounds? BTW the first ones were not published before and i also never collected all those demos at one place.


Ingo


vurt answered your question for me :wink:
User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
 
7903 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 am

vurt wrote:its not a tone2 thread, its a kvr instruments forum thread, asking if anything other than rayblaster can do something specific.
are you saying that no other sampler can do what the op asked?



That's not the question. I gave examples about what Rayblaster is able to and that's all. Others could draw their conclusions.

Besides that Rayblaster is no typical "sampler". It could use single cycles, short samples or import samples with the Resynthesis feature but i would not call it a sampler. A sampler also usually includes fixed filter models. Rayblaster creates filter responses based on the waveforms that are used with it.


Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Reaper / Studio One 2.6 / Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + Tone 2 plugins + others
Kriminal
KVRAF
 
18413 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:34 am

Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:its not a tone2 thread, its a kvr instruments forum thread, asking if anything other than rayblaster can do something specific.
are you saying that no other sampler can do what the op asked?



That's not the question.


that was exactly the question

Ingonator wrote: I gave examples about what Rayblaster is able to and that's all. Others could draw their conclusions.


why? the OP didnt ask for any and the ones you gave are not relevant to his question

Ingonator wrote:
I just offered those demos as a basis for the discussion so we don't have to discuss based on a single example. That's all.




his question was based on that single example, your soundbites have nothing to do with his question
User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
 
33538 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Ingonator wrote: Rayblaster is a piece of crap
Ingo


no one said it was a piece of crap, we just pointed out that yes, many other things can do what the op asked for.
are you suggesting that nothing else can do what the op asked for?
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments