[VST 2.4] Programs?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hello everybody,

I have to develop a VST Patch with the VST SDK 2.4, and I just can't understand how the program/presets system is working... I have been looking for a documentation and I didn't managed to find one, and I have try to copy the program-related part of the ADelay example (https://github.com/catshirt/vst-2.4-xcode-examples/tree/master/adelay) and it's worse, the VST hosts don't detect my .dll as a VST patch anymore. Can you help me? Thank you very much!

Here is the code and some explanation of Steinberg's VST examples, which includes programs:
http://ygrabit.steinberg.de/~ygrabit/pu ... mples.html
It's probably the same project that you're referring to, but this includes some commentary that might be useful.

To do presets you would basically declare an array of the number of presets you want of your program struct/class:

Code: Select all

ProgramStruct *plugPresets = new ProgramStruct[numPresets];
Then in your plug-in's constructor you would run through your array of presets setting their values. The rest of the functionality is pretty much the same as in the examples (setProgram, getProgram, etc.).

And just on a side note, the link you referenced above looks like the Xcode project yet you mention that the .dll isn't recognized. You'll need the Visual Studio project for a .dll. Maybe it was just a typo on your part, but thought I'd mention it just in case. :)

Thank you very much for your answer.
I think I have understood the concept, I have copied all the program-relative parts of the example into my code (of course adapting it), but I don't know why the plugin makes the host crash (VSTScanner, VSTHost) and some host (Nuendo) doesn't even recognize the plugin... What could be wrong? I really don't understand because all is supposed to work...
(detail : I'm on CodeBlocks)

Most of the big host DAWs verify a plug-in before it will load it, so if it's crashing in VSTHost it's a safe bet that Nuendo has checked it but it fails validation so it won't load it.

It's impossible to say why with no code to go by, but one starting point is just to build the VST examples by Steinberg to make sure that's working. Then you can compare/contrast build settings and your code to narrow down why yours is crashing.

What exactly does "crashing in VSTHost" mean?
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

Thank you both!
When I'm importing my VST in VSTHost (by the New Plugin menu), the program is freezing and I have to open the task manager to close it... Like VSTScanner.
Ok, I really don't know how I will fix it but thank you anyway...! :)

And if you have any advice on how to debug a .dll with CodeBlocks please help me, because I have been looking for it for two hours and I can't get how to do :s

domkirke wrote:And if you have any advice on how to debug a .dll with CodeBlocks please help me, because I have been looking for it for two hours and I can't get how to do :s
I don't use CodeBlocks, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”