What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Pick-up wiring/mods

...and how to do so...

Moderators: justin3am, Hink, Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

6058 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:14 pm

I've thought about using that kind of blower switch in an S-S-H configuration, with the humbucker wired to be split when the blower isn't used and then go humbucker when the blower is hit. The benefit here is the single coils could be used with 250K pots they sound best with and the humbucker wouldn't be weighed down by them.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
KVRAF

4760 posts since 10 Aug, 2004, from Colorado Springs

Postby rockstar_not; Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:55 pm

The ONLY mod I've ever done was on my MIM Fat Strat. Stock from the factory, the bridge humbucker has no tone control and sounds pretty thin.

There's a mod you can do which turns the neck tone control into a master tone control, and the middle tone control into a variable tap on the tail humbucker.

Once I got the pickguard off, the whole mod takes perhaps 5 minutes max, and uses no new wire. I think it was like 3 de-solders, and 2 solders.

Makes the humbucker actually useful and let's you single it if you want some chicken-pickin' single coil tone as well.

I will see if I can find the mod. I read about it on the Fenderforum website years ago.

-Scott
KVRian

505 posts since 18 Jul, 2007, from Netherlands

Postby obiwanjacobi; Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:42 pm

My main reason was to take the pots completely out of the circuit - I just wanted to see if I could hear any difference (very little difference with 500k pots).

A by-product of this design is that you can switch very quickly between all-out and some vol/tone pot setting - which could be handy...

S4 is the switch (on the volume pot in my case). The signal from the PU selector switch comes in on pins 2 (hot) and 5 (gnd) of S4. As the switch is drawn it bypasses the volume and tone pots and detaches those pots from gnd. In the other position the volume and tone pots are enabled and work as expected.

Hope it helps.
Grtx, Marc Jacobi.
Blog | VST.NET | GMPI.NET | MIDI.NET
Rad Grandad

24620 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from New England U.S.A.

Postby Hink; Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:09 pm

check these out (old news? ) instead of a blower switch

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... meter.html
As long as you hate, there will be people to hate
-George Harrison
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:42 pm Re: Pick-up wiring/mods

-George Harrison
KVRAF

6058 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:15 pm Re:

Hink wrote:check these out (old news? ) instead of a blower switch

That looks awesome. Have you tried it yet? Is the click to bypass the pots obvious enough?
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:09 pm Re: Re:

Uncle E wrote:
Hink wrote:check these out (old news? ) instead of a blower switch

That looks awesome. Have you tried it yet? Is the click to bypass the pots obvious enough?

no I haven't Eric, in fact I forgot all about them :oops:

ahhh...now I remember...they only come in high impedance pots...might be good for the Ibanez though or my other esp with the mega-switch in it and an original duncan JB and a duncan pearly gates and of course the daion because I do not want to add holes to that (it has a pair of duncans in it too)
-George Harrison
Previous

Moderators: justin3am, Hink, Moderators (Main)

Return to DIY: Build it and they will come