KORG to re-release the MS-20!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice to see this seems to be real so those are great news. :)

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

budweiser wrote:
Acrobat wrote:that will probably help lowering the price of real ones
MS are still sold around 500-900 euros :roll:
1500 here in france, that's crazy !
sorry for misunderstandings, I meant the MS-10, not the 20.
Isn't the 10 they are reproducing now?
You pay an MS-20 in italy between 800-1500 euros.
I think it is interesting to compare the new one with the original, anyway.

budweiser wrote:
1500 here in france, that's crazy !
There's one priced at £1345 on eBay UK.

:shock:
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

That's what people thought when the Moog Voyager came out.
The Model D is now worth even more than pre Voyager.

This is going to be some kind of a Rev 3 and the differences probably will be as big as MS20 Rev 1 vs Rev 2.
For many people those are different enough to pay a higher price for the Rev1.

I personally don't like the Rev 2 at all, but LOVE the Rev 1.

Very curious to see what they come up with though 8)

zlatan wrote:
That's what people thought when the Moog Voyager came out.
The Model D is now worth even more than pre Voyager.

This is going to be some kind of a Rev 3 and the differences probably will be as big as MS20 Rev 1 vs Rev 2.
For many people those are different enough to pay a higher price for the Rev1.

I personally don't like the Rev 2 at all, but LOVE the Rev 1.

Very curious to see what they come up with though 8)
How can one tell which is which just by looking at it?
Wanna check mine.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

The Voyager was never intended as a replica of the Model D. This new MS20 isn't a true replica either but it's much closer to the original MS20 than the Voyager is to the Minimoog Model D.

This new MS20 may sound different to the original MS20, who knows, but I'm quietly hoping that it will nail that sound and put stop to the ridiculous prices on eBay at least for this golden oldie. :D

These are extremely good times for analog synth fans: the new MS20, Sub Phatty, Oberheim SEM, Dominion X, Lipzieg-S, Telemark, Minibrute, Vermona Perfourmer/Monolancet, Dark Energy, Boomstars (as yet to come), the DSI series. Pheew! There is no reason to spend ridiculous amounts of money on ebay ripoff sales with this lot around!

Mushy Mushy wrote:How can one tell which is which just by looking at it?
Wanna check mine.
Does yours have a screw above the drawing of the VCA? Supposedly if you have a screw you have a rev 2. If you don't, you have a rev 1.

However, my understanding is that if it ever had the filter replaced by a tech you may have either depending on what part they had at the time. That's where it gets tricky.

You can open it up and look to be sure.

natqueencole wrote:
Wanna check mine.
Does yours have a screw above the drawing of the VCA? Supposedly if you have a screw you have a rev 2. If you don't, you have a rev 1.

However, my understanding is that if it ever had the filter replaced by a tech you may have either depending on what part they had at the time. That's where it gets tricky.

You can open it up and look to be sure.
Woohoo! No screw. Rev1 it is.
Unless, as you say, it's been replaced....
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Don't know if this was posted already:

http://www.korg.de/produkte/synthesizer ... nfo-1.html

If it is 86% scale, does that mean full size keys...

Guess who bought a used MS20 off ebay just 2 days before the rumour first appeared on synthopia.com? whoops....
Bosqoue!

himalaya wrote:The Voyager was never intended as a replica of the Model D. This new MS20 isn't a true replica either but it's much closer to the original MS20 than the Voyager is to the Minimoog Model D.

This new MS20 may sound different to the original MS20, who knows, but I'm quietly hoping that it will nail that sound and put stop to the ridiculous prices on eBay at least for this golden oldie. :D

The Voyager is an updated version of the original Minimoog (model D) ...hence the name Minimoog Voyager.

And I think the vintage MS20 prices will continue to go up once people realize that they're going to sound/look very different.
This happened not only with Voyager , but also with Telefunken microphones , Neve Pre amps , Urei Compressors etc..

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Wanna check mine.
Woohoo! No screw. Rev1 it is.
Unless, as you say, it's been replaced....

I rarely heard of filters being replaced , so 99% sure you have a Rev 1 8)

It's easy to hear though

zlatan wrote:
himalaya wrote:The Voyager was never intended as a replica of the Model D. This new MS20 isn't a true replica either but it's much closer to the original MS20 than the Voyager is to the Minimoog Model D.

The Voyager is an updated version of the original Minimoog (model D) ...hence the name Minimoog Voyager.

Yes, sure, it's updated, we all know that, but that update took Voyager into a new sonic territory. It's a new synth, new design, new features. No wonder there are differences in sound (of which you talk about and which people want to taste by getting the Model D). But this MS20 is much closer to the original MS20 spec (at least from the initial unofficial info). It's almost a replica.

Are you by any chance one of those selling those sub-£1300 MS20s on eBay? :hihi:

at this moment i don't think the bottom is going to fall out of the used ms20 market. right now the average {for cheaper exchanges, often auctions} on ebay is about 1,200. i think that could go down to 1,000 relatively soon. assuming this new model is going to replicate either the rev 1 or rev 2 filter, i guess the corresponding original will take a bigger hit in used value. i've been eyeing used ms20's for ages, and @ 600 euro i'm definitely going to take the "rev3" route before ever committing to spending ~1,200 on an original - as of this announcement {i came close so many times}. especially considering how much focus has been put in to keeping things "original" in this revision, original design team etc, it's going to be a no-brainer @ 600.

the modern connectivity is just the icing on the cake
i can't wait!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”