VST for Zimmer-style heavy BRASS?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I am looking for a VST instrument "fairly easy" on the wallet for making deep, loud and massive but acoustically great sounding brass - like in the style of Inception by Hans Zimmer (for instance "Dream Collapsing").

Now I bought Orchestral Essentials and it sure sounds good, but I really miss those loud and especially massive deep horns making things sound really EPIC!

Any suggestions?
Intel Core i5-3570K CPU 3.40 GHz, Asus P8z77-v lx Motherboard, 32 Gb RAM, 2 x WD HD, MAudio Delta Audiophile 2492,
Win7 64, Cubase 7, Halion3.5, Spectrasonics Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Trilian, Kontakt 5

Albion 3 Iceni

Cinebrass : $399, maybe a promo during namm
project sam orchestral brass : $299
eastwest hollywood brass gold : $297 at jrr shop, till end of january

Nothing really easy on the wallet... hollywood brass is really a good value for the money at this price point. Or if you're a kontakt owner, you can go with the stock brass (vsl), pretty decent.

tehlord wrote:Albion 3 Iceni
This.

</thread>

It really is made for 3pic Zimmer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6QLzZtEODs

Cinebrass PRO is what you're after. There is a 12 horn patch and PRO owners also recently got Monster Low Brass patch, which is exactly that you want.
Last edited by Cimbasso on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

budweiser wrote:Or if you're a kontakt owner, you can go with the stock brass (vsl), pretty decent.
Not really, it doesn't have any dynamic layers (one with x-fade?) or legato..but can be used for subtle layering, I guess.

The only orchestral stuff that's good in Kontakt Factory library are harp and celesta.
Last edited by Cimbasso on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brass is a small part of iceni and cant compete with hollywood brass, nor orchestral brass (in the brass domain, i mean). The Hb trombone's bite is unrivaled, imo. Even the "nasty long" (iceni) aren't that nasty compares to hb. And i'm not talking about articulations.

Cimbasso wrote:
budweiser wrote:Or if you're a kontakt owner, you can go with the stock brass (vsl), pretty decent.
Not really, it doesn't have any dynamic layers (one with x-fade?) or legato..but can be used for subtle layering, I guess.

The only orchestral stuff that's good in Kontakt Factory library are harp and celesta.
legato and keyswitches in the "legacy" folder from the vsl part. MW controled. A little bit tricky from NI, i have to say...

FWIW, recent Zimmer's soundtracks (Inception, Dark Knight Trilogy) were recorded at the same place as was Iceni - beautiful AIR Lyndhurst hall in London.

well, Zimmer for Inception used quite some synths to beef up the low brass particularly. that is not really an example of 'great acoustic brass' sound, I have encountered too many orch people that absolutely abhor that.

expect to compress the hell out of it if that's 'the sound' you're after, I would think.

the stock brass (vsl), pretty decent.

The sustain articulation there compares to a legato/sustain artic in VSL proper today. To say they don't have any legato is not really accurate. I have in the past found eg., the solo viola and violin of some use and I like the sound of it. The tubas are very smooth. I haven't used most of it, but in a pinch it's been servicable here.

but, there are not things such as contrabass trombone, there will be some things I can't recall that Zimmer exploited in Inception that are not in the Kontakt Factory VSL demo lib that you're going to feel missing. 'Massively deep', light on your wallet... you might want to beef things up with synths esp if you like synths.

I've always been happy with EWQLSO Gold XP - the brass is amazing, but VERY drenched in natural reverb and ambience.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra

It may not be as expensive and complete as the other packages mentioned, but Garritan Instant Orchestra is pretty darn amazing and the brass patches are excellent. Plus you get strings and choirs as well.

http://www.garritan.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=171

Also, PRIZM, my flagship synth, has excellent strings and brass and is a fraction of the price of all of these other soundsets.

http://www.supersynths.com/Synths/prizm.html

Mike

Thank you guys for all your input and advice.

This really is a great forum!
Intel Core i5-3570K CPU 3.40 GHz, Asus P8z77-v lx Motherboard, 32 Gb RAM, 2 x WD HD, MAudio Delta Audiophile 2492,
Win7 64, Cubase 7, Halion3.5, Spectrasonics Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Trilian, Kontakt 5

jancivil wrote:well, Zimmer for Inception used quite some synths to beef up the low brass particularly.
More correctly - The Dark Zebra.

Return to “Instruments”