Are 64 bit native plugins of importance to you

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

How important are 64 bit native plugins for you personally?

I only use and buy 64 bit native plugins
43%
I only use and buy 32 bit plugins
13%
I prefer 64 bit but will use a bridge if necessary
26%
I really don't care i will use either
15%
I prefer smegma
2%

Total votes: 247

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hope that Steinberg and other host-developers improve their bridges :pray: so that such discussions become superfluous ... nobody should care about 32 or 64 bits :shrug:

And none of my plugins really benefits from 64bits (except Kontakt).

REAPER has got the best bridge in the industry, and even that fails sometimes. because bridging sucks, by definition. so i hope that more and more plugin developers release 64-bit versions, and no one cares about 32-bit anymore. all my plugins benefit enormously from being run in a homogenous environment without any bridges.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

TheoM wrote:
EnGee wrote:This is one reason why I don't care yet for the 64bit:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... ?p=1128709

I don't know if the above problem exists in OSX but in Windows with Cubase 64bit it is awful :-( (The standalone also suffers from this as I suppose it is 64bit!)

So for now I'm still using the 32bit version mainly but I would move to 64bit when it can run the main plugins I use without problems.
please don't think because of this one FM8 problem that it's a 64 bit problem in general. I do understand if FM8 is important to you but 64 bit in general is not more or less reliable than 32, it just so happens that NI's 64 bit version of FM8 is broken, sadly.

DId you try bridging the 32 bit FM8 using Jbridge, so you can enjoy 64 bit and only have that one bridged plug in?
FM8 is essential for me and the morphing problems is not trivial :-(

I think Theo you have FM8 and a Mac. Do you have the same problem?

I do have the the 2 versions of everything installed (32bit and 64bit). I really don't want to load the 32bit plugins inside the 64bit host (what's the point if I have the 32bit of the host and plugins?). Though Cubase does have its own bridge, I really don't see an advantage of using the bridge over the 32bit host/plugins.

I still have other problems with some 64bit plugins (like IL Morphine 64bit).

I know one day there will be only 64bit (and 128bit will follow after few years :help:) but I'm not in hurry as I don't use a sampler with huge samples. So, 32bit or/and 64bit, whatever working is fine by me :wink:

IL Morphine is 64 bit? When did that happen?

I was aware of some IL x64 betas awhile ago (Biohazard), but as far as I knew, IL has not officially launched any x64 products.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:IL Morphine is 64 bit? When did that happen?

I was aware of some IL x64 betas awhile ago (Biohazard), but as far as I knew, IL has not officially launched any x64 products.

Cheers
-B
I think they are still in beta and have been for some while.
The updates don't seem to be coming thick and fast though.

EnGee wrote:
TheoM wrote:
EnGee wrote:This is one reason why I don't care yet for the 64bit:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... ?p=1128709

I don't know if the above problem exists in OSX but in Windows with Cubase 64bit it is awful :-( (The standalone also suffers from this as I suppose it is 64bit!)

So for now I'm still using the 32bit version mainly but I would move to 64bit when it can run the main plugins I use without problems.
please don't think because of this one FM8 problem that it's a 64 bit problem in general. I do understand if FM8 is important to you but 64 bit in general is not more or less reliable than 32, it just so happens that NI's 64 bit version of FM8 is broken, sadly.

DId you try bridging the 32 bit FM8 using Jbridge, so you can enjoy 64 bit and only have that one bridged plug in?
FM8 is essential for me and the morphing problems is not trivial :-(

I think Theo you have FM8 and a Mac. Do you have the same problem?

I do have the the 2 versions of everything installed (32bit and 64bit). I really don't want to load the 32bit plugins inside the 64bit host (what's the point if I have the 32bit of the host and plugins?). Though Cubase does have its own bridge, I really don't see an advantage of using the bridge over the 32bit host/plugins.

I still have other problems with some 64bit plugins (like IL Morphine 64bit).

I know one day there will be only 64bit (and 128bit will follow after few years :help:) but I'm not in hurry as I don't use a sampler with huge samples. So, 32bit or/and 64bit, whatever working is fine by me :wink:
Hi i actually don't have ANY Ni products anymore, nada. Only the free kontakt player and the free driver plugin. Sorry i can't be of assistance. The last time i had NI fm8 installed i was also still in 32 bits, never had a problem with it on mac, but who knows, the 64 could well be broken.

Resonator63 wrote:
BERFAB wrote:IL Morphine is 64 bit? When did that happen?

Cheers
-B
I think they are still in beta and have been for some while.
The updates don't seem to be coming thick and fast though.
Yes I meant the beta. Sorry I should have written this :oops:

And Yes the updates of Morphine are slooooowwwww (too much 'morphing' makes you speak like this :hihi: )

TheoM wrote:
Hi i actually don't have ANY Ni products anymore, nada. Only the free kontakt player and the free driver plugin. Sorry i can't be of assistance. The last time i had NI fm8 installed i was also still in 32 bits, never had a problem with it on mac, but who knows, the 64 could well be broken.
Oh I see.

I think they will update it soon (I hope so). It seems they are busy with their Machine. I just hope they don't abandon their great synths like they did with Pro 53.

Mister Natural wrote:
grymmjack wrote:
this new one(computer) has 32GB of RAM. I use a 64 bit DAW to allow the memory heavy stuff to occur (even though I have yet to do any of it so I'm sort of of the same opinion as yourself in that regard)
>translation : obvious

I miss my 32 bit plug-ins but I won't bridge them for a few reasons:
1. It's a chance (and junkies need every excuse they can fathom) to kick/quit some other plug-ins that are not offered in 64 bit
>translation : U like change

2. It's a chance to think creatively with less available to do the same thing. The overlap I mention is because so many of the plug-ins do similar things but in different ways
>translation : U're pushing change on your workflow(which is very cool)

3. I'm not 100% sure that bridging will work with a few of these 32 bit plug-ins, and I know that one of the main ones I was using (the KORG microSTATION VST editor) definitely
>translation : "bridging" 32bit to 64bit host is a crap-shoot. Safer bet is to use either/or

4. (and this is a big reason); I can have 32 bit and 64 bit plug-ins installed separately in separate folders on my disk and have 32 bit versions of the DAW if I should ever absolutely need to work with the 32 bit only plug-ins I can load the 32 bit version of the DAW
>translation : U're not married to 64bit - you like to hedge your bets

I will say that so far, 64 bit is identical to 32 bit, I have not noticed any improvements in how the plug-ins work with the CPU
>translation : 64bit works & sounds exactly like 32bit
respect first & formost Grym . . . but I've heard variations of these same rationalizations for several months now from many users here. Change for change sake; even if it doesn't matter in the music you make. It's human-nature to want the latest & fastest car, but you only can go ~70mph on the highway.
:lol: thank you for translating and summarizing for me. NP this is one of the things I fight with constantly about making music on computer. I go through a constant cycle of accumulate, sell, try to focus make a few good tunes, repeat.

Though the older I get the more I'm on that last part.

You are also right about the fast car, except kontakt instruments don't cost the same amount as a ferarri :) so the danger is greater.

as to bridging, I use Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 which provides two server interfaces for either 32 or 64 to work at the same time, which is perfectly stable. but again, I would prefer to never have to worry about running out of memory, for instance when BFD2 went to x64 that was a great relief to me. I typically load a template that's more than sufficient for the project, sometimes by quite a lot, because they are ready to go and I can subtract later.

and I have templates in 32-bit I could rebuild in x64 but why bother. I still use Amplitube 2 and Absynth 4->Kore2 in 32-bit per se, these won't tend to cause an out-of-memory prob.

Is there anybody that really gets off on freezing tracks and memory management?

i got 32GB of RAM. i ain't freezing anything. my BFD kit usually takes up about 6-7 GB due to everything being loaded into RAM.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

WOW!!!! you know i really have realised when i am going to make my serious stuff on the desktop, maybe 16 won't be enough..

although i have two thunderbolt ssd so streaming should be ok i guess, maybe i can allocate more to disk.

anyway will cross that bridge when i come to it.

well, i initially had 16 but then i saw my RAM being at a good price so i upgraded. these 32GB are mainly for other stuff (my wife does CAD and 3D), so i'm not saying i bought 32GB because it wasn't enough for me.

I'll do one final bump (have only bumped this once before) and then let the topic die gracefully if that is it's meant fate.

Note i am only really doing this bumping now for sake of devs to see on front page how one sided the PRO 64 bit votes are :)

Massey, i am looking at you.

you don't need this thread, the devs already have a clear indicator in their paypal account.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “Instruments”