What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

What do we think of Loomer Aspect?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

jethrobull
KVRian

1220 posts since 5 Jun, 2011, from England,UK

Postby jethrobull; Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:38 am

I managed to purchase Aspect on here , i was lucky :hihi:
I love this synth! The clear and solid UI with everything being on 1 page makes this synth very easy to get to grips with. I also like the fact it has no 'on board FX section' to distract from sound design. The sound can be georgeous and thick imo and the patch section is cool.I was so impressed by Aspect i went on and purchased Shift,String and Sequent. Loomer rules! :tu:
All the audience cares about is being fed a stream of songs that they know and can sing along to.
myfeebleeffort
colin@loomer
KVRian

795 posts since 25 Aug, 2003, from Bournemouth, UK

Postby colin@loomer; Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:47 am

Thanks for the feedback; much appreciated!

But why have a knob for waveform then if only four can be selected, would be better then to have a "check box" where one could select which waveform to use.

I agree, which is why the oscillator and filter selectors have changed for Aspect 2. It occasionally causes confusion when people assume that you can sweep the knob for a mixed blend of oscillator shapes.

In fact, Aspect 2 has a completely new UI. I hope this keeps the core of what people liked about Aspect 1's UI, but improves the few areas which, in retrospect, didn't work so well.
Shift from Loomer: Diatonic Granular Pitch Shifting Delay (AU, RTAS, & VST for Mac OS X, Windows, & Linux)
Igro
KVRAF

3663 posts since 26 Apr, 2007, from Noosphere

Postby Igro; Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:27 am

colin@loomer wrote:Thanks for the feedback; much appreciated!

But why have a knob for waveform then if only four can be selected, would be better then to have a "check box" where one could select which waveform to use.

I agree, which is why the oscillator and filter selectors have changed for Aspect 2. It occasionally causes confusion when people assume that you can sweep the knob for a mixed blend of oscillator shapes.

In fact, Aspect 2 has a completely new UI. I hope this keeps the core of what people liked about Aspect 1's UI, but improves the few areas which, in retrospect, didn't work so well.

:hyper: Hi Colin! Any hints what new will be in the second version?
Numanoid
KVRAF

9546 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:22 am

colin@loomer wrote:In fact, Aspect 2 has a completely new UI. I hope this keeps the core of what people liked about Aspect 1's UI, but improves the few areas which, in retrospect, didn't work so well.

In general I would hope developers could use more colors to represent different sections of the GUI.

For instance Aspect V1 is all blue background. It is therefore not immediately logical to me where the OSC section ends and the LFO section begins. Had the OSC section for instance had blue color, while the LFO section had another background color, this would have been more quickly graspable. In a live situation where one doesn't have the time or good lightning to read the headlines of the controls while in action, this would be a great help.
Bring me the knock on wood cords
colin@loomer
KVRian

Postby colin@loomer; Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Any hints what new will be in the second version?
Well, it is liable to change, so I wouldn't want to publicly commit to too much at this stage. But I guess it is safe to reveal it will have a new UI, some additional filter types, much better modulation handling - including some very novel modulation sources, new legato handling, and new flexible envelopes. Admittedly, that's not a massively exciting list, but I'm afraid the really fun stuff is being kept under my hat for the time being. ;)

Presets will also be 100% backwards compatible. And, of course, it'll be a free upgrade for registered Aspect owners.

In general I would hope developers could use more colors to represent different sections of the GUI.
Yes, that is exactly the approach Aspect 2's UI is using; judicious colour use for at-a-glance feedback of modulation and routing.
Shift from Loomer: Diatonic Granular Pitch Shifting Delay (AU, RTAS, & VST for Mac OS X, Windows, & Linux)
manducator
KVRAF

1674 posts since 10 Feb, 2007

Postby manducator; Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 pm

colin@loomer wrote:Presets will also be 100% backwards compatible. And, of course, it'll be a free upgrade for registered Aspect owners.

Backwards compatibility and no charges for major updates on a product that never crashed and already is of great quality. We're spoilt!
Numanoid
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:29 am

colin@loomer wrote:Yes, that is exactly the approach Aspect 2's UI is using; judicious colour use for at-a-glance feedback of modulation and routing.

"Judicious", wow, sounds exciting, no need to spike the punch with this plugin in ones possession thus I gather :D :tu:
KungKrille
KVRian

926 posts since 6 May, 2006, from Sweden

Postby KungKrille; Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

Numanoid wrote:In a live situation where one doesn't have the time or good lightning to read the headlines of the controls while in action, this would be a great help.

May I ask what kind of monitor you use if you need lights to read the screen? :-o :wink:
Numanoid
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 am

KungKrille wrote:May I ask what kind of monitor you use if you need lights to read the screen? :-o :wink:

A laptop...

But different background colours for different sections of the synth, means you will be able to assess information on the screen from bigger distance, than if you need to read the headlines of the sections ;)
Sendy
KVRAF

4516 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Postby Sendy; Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:39 am

REALLY looking forwards to Aspect 2. This is a great synth and I never expected it to get better! Please consider adding a global pitchbend value for the synth!
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp!
colin@loomer
KVRian

Postby colin@loomer; Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 am

Sendy wrote:Please consider adding a global pitchbend value for the synth!
Done (as in, added, rather than considered, that is!)
Resonator63
KVRAF

3631 posts since 1 Oct, 2006, from Um! Where is this?

Postby Resonator63; Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:54 am

Been trying Aspect out and really liking it so far.
One for my too buy list :)
Madrayken
KVRian

551 posts since 2 Aug, 2006, from UK

Postby Madrayken; Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 pm

A fantastic synth with a lovely warm fuzzy filter unlike anything else in my palette. It is in my list of 'underrated gems' along with 'Biohazard' and Loomer's 'String'. Really inexpensive considering how weird and deep you can go with it, too. It sits perfectly between semi/modular synths (timewARP) and bread-and-butter VAs.

Did I mention that I like it?
Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.
Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

http://www.soundclick.com/Madrayken
TheoM
KVRAF

19275 posts since 4 Sep, 2001, from Melbourne Australia

Postby TheoM; Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:45 pm

I agree this is a much undertalked about excellent synth. it was between khz one and this for me just cause i felt like a new synth, and KHS snagged the sale with their Jan sale price.. i actually find alot of similarities between the two on sound.

What i did notice was, that aspect comes with 220 presets all by Mr Loomer himself, and basically 90% of them are top notch (i never understand why devs bother with drum patches.. it's a waste of 20 patches in synths like this, no one uses stuff like this for their drums as the sounds are never comparable to a dedicated drum synth), so next time it's synth buy time i'd probably be swayed towards this although i'd love to see some third party preset support and some more from the man himself.
"Just call me shitload, cause I own a shitload of plugins!"
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments