What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Poly-Ana 2.x feature wish-list

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

How should Poly-Ana 2.x improve on GUI and manage screen size better?

Add scrolling + switchable frame sizes
6%
Switch between different pages for Synth, Key and Performance section, FX, etc
31%
Make the interface 2560 x 1600 pixels in size
17%
Hide controls under little pop-out menus, windows, secret panels, etc.
5%
I like fishsticks.
43%

Total votes : 108
AdmiralQuality
KVRAF

6384 posts since 10 Oct, 2005, from Toronto, Canada

Postby AdmiralQuality; Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:18 pm

camsr wrote:
david.beholder wrote:One more suggestion: switch for steppy/free mode for oscillator semitone knob. It will allow some effects when oscs are in hard sync.

This is the Oscillator Keytrack, correct? Or are you saying a switch for the semitone knob detents? Because, there is a fine tune knob also.

Fine tune only goes +/- 50 cents, so not so great for sync-sweeps. He wants to perform wide sweeps without the snapping to exact semitones as the semitone knobs do. Normally I'd suggest doing this by assigning mod wheel or another modulation controller to the oscillator's frequency modulation source, but often we want to use the mod wheel for vibrato or other purposes and not everybody has expression pedals, pressure or other modulation inputs to assign to this purpose. (Not everybody has a mod wheel, for that matter!)

It should be fairly easy to do (I THINK). And funny, a friend of mine was commenting on the semitone quantization the other day, he didn't understand that it was an intentional feature, he thought it was a limitation.
AdmiralQuality
KVRAF

Postby AdmiralQuality; Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 pm

camsr wrote:While on the subject of hardsync, why the decision to have osc 3 synced to osc 2 only?

Because if you want 3 synced to 1 you can rearrange the oscillators so 2 is doing what 3 did.

And if you want both 2 and 3 synced to 1, just sync 3 to 2 which is synced to 1, right?

Also, we needed to avoid sync loops. That's why osc 1 has no sync source.

Did you know you can sync to noise? (And if you do, the OSC 1 Pulse Width control becomes the noise level that causes sync to retrigger. There used to be a label for that, not sure what happened to it. Should re-instate that, at the very least in the tooltips, as it's non-obvious. I also just realized that PWM doesn't modulate it, and it could. So I should add that too.)

You can make some interesting "Geiger counter" like sounds this way.
AdmiralQuality
KVRAF

Postby AdmiralQuality; Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:35 pm

camsr wrote:While on the subject of hardsync, why the decision to have osc 3 synced to osc 2 only?

I just added that to the list though, on thinking about it I see no topological reason why Osc 3 can't have a 3 way sync switch (1, 2, OFF).
SAW75
KVRian

592 posts since 17 Sep, 2007

Postby SAW75; Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 pm

I really like the GUI of Poly-Ana and I hope that it remains a one screen synth with all controls right in front of you. This has become my favorite synth to program and the easiest for me to understand.

Please, for the love of god, do not add anything stupid like a mod matrix. the way modulation works now is perfect.

Don't change the GUI. Despite some criticism this synth is a lot of fun to program.
Resonator63
KVRAF

3631 posts since 1 Oct, 2006, from Um! Where is this?

Postby Resonator63; Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:05 am

Any idea when we can expect Poly-Ana 2 to be released?
Teksonik
KVRAF

8711 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:20 am

SAW75 wrote:Don't change the GUI. Despite some criticism this synth is a lot of fun to program.

The current GUI is the reason some people won't even consider buying PolyAna. It's been said time after time over the years.

In my opinion added features and an easier to read GUI will make PolyAna more fun to program and attract new customers. With more features comes more complexity. It's unavoidable. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
AdmiralQuality
KVRAF

Postby AdmiralQuality; Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:07 am

Resonator63 wrote:Any idea when we can expect Poly-Ana 2 to be released?

I'm still working on 1.20 right now. So, no. (Definitely sometime in the future!)
AdmiralQuality
KVRAF

Postby AdmiralQuality; Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:10 am

SAW75 wrote:I really like the GUI of Poly-Ana and I hope that it remains a one screen synth with all controls right in front of you. This has become my favorite synth to program and the easiest for me to understand.

Please, for the love of god, do not add anything stupid like a mod matrix. the way modulation works now is perfect.

Don't change the GUI. Despite some criticism this synth is a lot of fun to program.

Thank you for saying that. See people? It's not just me who likes it!

Anyway, before anyone freaks out, the GUI WILL be getting a new look for 2.x. But the modulation WILL stay the same (those modulation source dials will probably change to something easier to read) and, while there'll be new pages for effects, arpeggiator, and whatever other big new features are added, the synth voice is still going to be all on one page as it is now -- so the intimidation factor will still be there, nothing we can do about that, she's a BIG girl. But we'll be looking to improve readability and yes, the 3D perspective will go as it makes so many people insane. :-o

Hopefully that will satisfy the haters AND the folks who like it.
SAW75
KVRian

592 posts since 17 Sep, 2007

Postby SAW75; Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 am

AdmiralQuality wrote:so the intimidation factor will still be there, nothing we can do about that, she's a BIG girl.

That's the thing with Poly-Ana. It is intimidating at first glance... but one session with it changes that pretty quickly. I'm no expert at programing and the interface went from "oh crap" to "yeah fun" in a matter of a few hours.

Poly-Ana is a truly great synth that deserves a second look by lots of people here. I've used most of the software synths out there to one degree or another and find this interface and feature set to fit me the best currently.
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

3839 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:55 pm

AdmiralQuality wrote:
Anyway, before anyone freaks out, the GUI WILL be getting a new look for 2.x. But the modulation WILL stay the same (those modulation source dials will probably change to something easier to read) and, while there'll be new pages for effects, arpeggiator, and whatever other big new features are added, the synth voice is still going to be all on one page as it is now -- so the intimidation factor will still be there, nothing we can do about that, she's a BIG girl. But we'll be looking to improve readability and yes, the 3D perspective will go as it makes so many people insane. :-o

Sounds like a perfect plan.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
david.beholder
KVRist

300 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Postby david.beholder; Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 pm

AdmiralQuality wrote:Fine tune only goes +/- 50 cents, so not so great for sync-sweeps. He wants to perform wide sweeps without the snapping to exact semitones as the semitone knobs do. Normally I'd suggest doing this by assigning mod wheel or another modulation controller to the oscillator's frequency modulation source, but often we want to use the mod wheel for vibrato or other purposes and not everybody has expression pedals, pressure or other modulation inputs to assign to this purpose. (Not everybody has a mod wheel, for that matter!)

Correct. I tried modweel too after all, but since I have remote sl/automap, I prefer to have direct access to such functions and use modwheel for (other) complex things.
Image Sincerely yours, Wyatt Fokkilokk
david.beholder
KVRist

300 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Postby david.beholder; Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:43 pm

AdmiralQuality wrote:Thank you for saying that. See people? It's not just me who likes it!

Hopefully that will satisfy the haters AND the folks who like it.

One page/flat view is a good news. Waiting patiently for 2.0

GUI Sizewize noone could beat U-He's scaling approach. Screen resolution has almost doubled during last 4-5 years and still growing.

BTW, I somewhat agree with opinion earlier on this thread, that 24db filter is very resonant and low frequencies are disappearing dramatically at 50% cutoff, 50% resonance. It doesn't mean I don't like it - it's distinctive, but it would be nice to have different 24db filter model with less bp-like behavior in addition to current model.
Image Sincerely yours, Wyatt Fokkilokk
Teksonik
KVRAF

8711 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:38 am

AdmiralQuality wrote: See people? It's not just me who likes it!

Well that makes two of you......... :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
camsr
KVRAF

4578 posts since 16 Feb, 2005

Postby camsr; Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm

AdmiralQuality wrote:

I just added that to the list though, on thinking about it I see no topological reason why Osc 3 can't have a 3 way sync switch (1, 2, OFF).

This change will surely open up many possiblities! Thanks a ton.
braj
KVRAF

6488 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Is it too early to ask about upgrade policies?
I have no talent, here's the proof:

||Soundcloud||

My YouTube channel
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments