Recording On The Piano ???

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I have a Yamaha P155 digital stage piano hooked up to a Mac using Galaxy's vintage D as a plugin inside Kontakt 4, running through GarageBand. I'm recording a solo piano album but finding it very difficult to record with expressive playing. I know everything can be edited in GB using it's features like velocity, pitch, tempo and automation points etc, but the trouble is actually trying to record the piece with the best possible take.

I find I'm having to record the same part several times before getting even close to the best recording. Is there an easier way around this ? maybe using another app which could help in solving this, example, how do the pros do it.

what does app have to do with your playing? they do it exactly the same way - picking the best take.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

pros may be doing it on a real piano too; much more expression available on a real piano action.

Can you explain what it is about the recordings you don't like? Uneven tempo, wrong notes, expression (do you use a pedal)? That piano is touch sensitive so expression should not be a problem but you can always edit velocity/volume afterwards.

Depending on your style of playing and music there are several methods. First record at a slower speed if there are fast arpeggios or runs in the piece. Second make multiple recordings and if possible edit the best sections of each. Third, if it lends itself, record with quantizing on (but probably the least overall benefit as it makes the music mechanical).

But in reality even the best musicians must do multiple takes to achieve one that satisfies. It is the nature of the beast of recording.

Here is a solo piano piece I did a few years ago that took several takes, editing of different takes and some tweaking in the DAW before I got it the way I wanted.

http://soundcloud.com/bobbotov/mood-strikes

Bobbotov wrote:But in reality even the best musicians must do multiple takes to achieve one that satisfies. It is the nature of the beast of recording.
indeed, in the past i have worked in studios and had some actual famous musos in, even for the simplest of tracks that they would play out live night after night on tour, we could use up say an hours worth of tape just for a 3 minute track :shrug:
very few musicians are happy with a first take except possibly those who should be less egotistical (mr smith im looking at you :x )

Thanks for the feedback. I've realized it's a case of two things, key weight on the P 155 is heavy making it difficult to perform expressive playing therefor not getting the desired take after many recordings. Also being a perfectionist doesn't help.

Out of interest why is it recommended when recording piano to play the piece right through from beginning to end, then choosing the best take from those recordings, as opposed to recording a section at a time for the best take.
Remember! Analog ears - digital minds

i'd guess because a take that's "in the context" as opposed to recorded separately is a better take.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Much noted, thanks for all the help.
Remember! Analog ears - digital minds

Playing all the way through will also give the track a more dynamic feel, especially for sampled acoustic instruments. As you get deeper into the arrangement, you'll naturally lean on things a bit harder and maybe even push the beat a little in ways you wouldn't going section by section.

I always have artists do vocal comps the same way, and it has a much more natural vibe than going section to section, and also builds in intensity like a live performance would. Three or four passes should give you enough to edit from.

Also, check your keyboard controller menu, you may be able to scale the velocity to suit your touch better, or failing that, you can adjust minimum and maximum velocities on what you've played after the fact.

One last trick for perfectionists who don't want things TOO perfect (like me!) is to use less than 100% strength when you quantize. I find about 95-97% will give it a natural feel, with some of my pushing and pulling left in, and still sit well with things at full quantization, like drums or synth bass.

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

it will also give you the added benefit of more practice at the track, so when you play it for other people you can do the full thing in a way youre happy with :)

Return to “Production Techniques”